Author Topic: Correct lock for Southern / Tennessee rifles  (Read 3621 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Correct lock for Southern / Tennessee rifles
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
 Which modern lock maker makes a correct style lock for these guns. Without a lot of modifications? Curious to know from the custom gun makers view point. Thanks for any serious input.    Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Correct lock for Southern / Tennessee rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
For flint guns Chambers late Ketland or Davis has a late flint period lock....can't remember what they call it. I have used both of these locks and they are excellent.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

galudwig

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »
For flint guns Chambers late Ketland or Davis has a late flint period lock....can't remember what they call it. I have used both of these locks and they are excellent.

I second Mike's recommendation; I've used both locks as well. The R.E. Davis lock is called the "Late English." Might be easier to get one of the R.E. Davis locks these days as a lot of the Chambers Late Ketlands are going to Jim Kibler's kit guns. Last one I got came after about a 3 month wait (it was worth it though!).

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
I agree as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
I use the Chambers late Ketland on my SMR, I sometimes grind the little teat off the back of the lock to make it a round tail lock so often seen on SMR's.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

galudwig

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
I use the Chambers late Ketland on my SMR, I sometimes grind the little teat off the back of the lock to make it a round tail lock so often seen on SMR's.
Dennis

I've done that too. The R.E. Davis has a "square" tail that gives a SMR a different look.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:14:12 PM by galudwig »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
Years ago I built a Gillespie with a customer provided Davis lock. While building the rifle the sear chipped but Davis promptly replaced it for free. The main spring felt really weak (compared to late Ketland) and I was concerned about miss fires. Customer said it was a consistent firing lock. I like the looks of the lock.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

galudwig

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »
The main spring felt really weak (compared to late Ketland) and I was concerned about miss fires. Customer said it was a consistent firing lock. I like the looks of the lock.
Dennis

I agree with you on how the Chambers and the R.E. Davis locks "feel.'' The R.E. Davis lock on this gun feels the same way, but it sparks really well and has not been a problem. I seem to recall that the main spring felt stiffer before I relieved it some to avoid the barrel during the lock inlet. That may or may not have had any affect.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
  Thanks to everyone for the much appreciated feed back!! Time to beat the piggy bank up an order the lock. Oldtravler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »
Years ago I built a Gillespie with a customer provided Davis lock. While building the rifle the sear chipped but Davis promptly replaced it for free. The main spring felt really weak (compared to late Ketland) and I was concerned about miss fires. Customer said it was a consistent firing lock. I like the looks of the lock.
Dennis

I recently made up one of these for a friend.They have real potential with a precision
mechanism and a forged mainspring.When Ron Long made this lock I got several sets
of these parts in a trade and he told me to lay in an extra frizzen spring because of
the thin style of the one shown.In my opion,the Chambers late Ketland is the best
production lock and it's good looks no doubt influenced Jim Kibler's use of it on his
kits along with good performace. I have made up several locks using the external parts
of this lock and it is a pleasure to work with. VERY fine quality parts.

Bob Roller

galudwig

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 04:49:41 AM »
Thanks for the insight Bob!  :)