Author Topic: Inletting black  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Inletting black
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
My latest build has a dark walnut stock.

I just went to my wife's make up box and found some light pink lipstick.

Working very well and it doesn't dry out or harden even after a day out in the open air.

Also just wipes off parts and wood with a paper towel or a Q tip! 
Joel Hall

Offline PPatch

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »
At times there is a lot of combustibles in my shop too, and I use an oil lamp for my inletting black source. I am very careful to place the lamp so that it is by itself on the table and blocked from being slid off the table. I light it, blacken the part, then immediately blow the flame out. I never leave it burning for more than it takes to get the black on the part. There are two fire extinguishers suitable for an oil fire nearby. Still, I do worry about using the open flame in the shop, stuff happens.

Soot works for me though, better than anything I have yet tried.

dave

image hosting services free
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:28:29 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 11:13:48 PM »
I'd take you up on your offer, but my current jar probably has 100 guns left in it and I doubt I'll do more than 25 more....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 11:20:45 PM »
And this reminds me that I have two (one black, one gold color) full jars of the Jarrow's inletting gunk that I never use. If anyone is interested I'll send both jars to you, you pay the postage.

I'll take them!  Will send PM.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline PPatch

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »
And this reminds me that I have two (one black, one gold color) full jars of the Jarrow's inletting gunk that I never use. If anyone is interested I'll send both jars to you, you pay the postage.

I'll take them!  Will send PM.

-Ron

You got it Ron.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
 Ron Mike said he built almost 400 guns with one jar. What yeah going to do with two. You better get busy you got about 750 guns to do!!! Mike

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
Ron Mike said he built almost 400 guns with one jar. What yeah going to do with two. You better get busy you got about 750 guns to do!!! Mike
I have done 350+ on 2 3/4 jars.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Frank

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »
I have had the same jar for over 20 years. Of course I have only built about 30 rifles.  ;D

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
I use Jerrows.

I have an old soup can that I then transfer a very tiny amount on an acid brush to the bottom of the can, I smear it up on the sides a bit. When I need to apply the black I simply take the brush (it is always in the soup can) and apply tiny amounts on the item I need to add black to.

Because the soup can is open, the black will dry out. I simply add one drop of oil (something like 3 in 1 oil) to the can and swirl it around and the black can be used again, this allows for a minimal amount of mess.

I think the mess originates from the fact that folks will dip a brush into the jar of black and fully load up whatever item they are using to apply the black and then put that overloaded amount onto the item they intend to inlet. It takes a tiny, tiny amount to use and if it is a bit dry, the less messy it seems to be.

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 02:54:11 AM »
Well, I started something that I thought I'd get the answer to right away.  That being how to clean up inletting black.  Well, I just had a visit with my mentor Allen Martin, and he showed me how to clean up parts:  Spray 9  Yep, that cleaner you can pick up anywhere.  He goes to the sink and sprays the part and his hands and washes both with the stuff and all comes out squeaky clean.  (My words)  Seems too easy after all of this conversation on what to use and how. Huh?
Cheers,
Michael K.
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
Well, I started something that I thought I'd get the answer to right away.  That being how to clean up inletting black.  Well, I just had a visit with my mentor Allen Martin, and he showed me how to clean up parts:  Spray 9  Yep, that cleaner you can pick up anywhere.  He goes to the sink and sprays the part and his hands and washes both with the stuff and all comes out squeaky clean.  (My words)  Seems too easy after all of this conversation on what to use and how. Huh?
Cheers,
Michael K.
Well.... I said what I said because I never have anything to clean up.... ;)

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2017, 04:14:03 AM »
I use an oil lamp. Gets black on quickly, and it is not greasy. I have used Prussian blue, but it is tedious to put on and blue. Yes you are sooty after an inletting session, but it comes off with dishwashing detergent. As for the stock, I don't bother removing it. The English original guns I have still have the inletting soot on the stocks under the inletted parts. The British gunsmiths just use a stick soaked in kerosene they det on fire. The oil lamp seems slightly safer to me. I understand some don't want fires in their shop though.

Mike

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
Inletting black..............Inletting black you say, my wife thinks I roll in it, to only put a small dab on a tow plate.
When I'm done I go to the car wash to get it off me. Ohhh I hates inletting black. >:( ::)

Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
I don't use any inletting black - Taylor does my inletting for me. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

eddillon

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »
I bought my first little bottle of Jarrows in 1979, and my second one last year.  I use a very small child's toothbrush to apply.  When it seems all used up, I apply two drops of WD40 to the brush and it's good for another rifle.
I'm with Taylor.  Bought my first jar from The Mountain Man in Manitou Springs, Colorado in 1975 for my first Hawken build. In lasted until two years ago.  Then bought a jar from TOTW.  I think Jarrow's changed the formulation.  I liked the old jar more than the new one.  Both clean up well with mineral spirits.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
I used a candle but found that to be a pain in the butt constantly going back and forth.Found lip stick to work well on the smaller parts like butt plate,pipes,lock,toe plate.Put a little on and tap the part,get your transfer and just move a little more around with your finger.Have a rag handy to clean your finger,all good.Once you get used to knowing how much is good Its not as messy as you would think,quess that would apply to what ever you use.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2017, 11:51:13 PM »
I chuckle when I see folks list all of the amazing uses for WD-40. 

I usually ask, "Hmmmmm.....would you use Kerosene In that situation?"

90 percent of folks reply something like, "Heck no." 

I then explain that WD-40 is predominantly Kerosene, and they invariably look shocked. 

My friend in Houston worked for the petrochemical industry, and they supplied WD-40 with their raw products. He knows the formula. 

Ever notice how it smells like Kerosene?  Yup. 

I once saw a list that included removing crayon from walls and cleaning stuck on matter from a baby highchair tray.  Youch! 

If you are cleaning your stock with WD-40, ask yourself the question.  If the answer is "yes", then all good. 

Hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »
Mom left me several lifetimes' supply of candles.