Author Topic: Sap wood problem  (Read 2466 times)

Offline porchdog48

Sap wood problem
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
I have a walnut stock that on the lock side is typical walnut grain and color , but on the opposite side is sap wood very light in color. I am not sure what would be the best approach to color blend the sap wood with the opposite side. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Sap wood problem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:36:59 PM »
You can try walnut stain heavily applied but I have never had good luck with it. If possible I would ask for a different stock blank!
Good luck,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ted Martens

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
Dave -

If you google 'blending color in walnut', there's lots of info out there; some good, some not so much. 
Like Dennis said, using a stain sold as "Walnut" is probably going to disappoint you.

The method I've used is pretty much what's described here: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/tips-for-finishing-walnut .

I use Lockwood dyes, but any water-based dyes will get you there.  Using water based dye is recommended as they are supposed to be more color-fast that alcohol based dyes.  Usually, local Woodcraft stores carry them, or they can be ordered direct from these guys: https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CLW

If possible, do your testing on a scrap piece; if that's not possible, then start out with a weaker dye and gradually increase the strength till you find the sweet spot.

Good luck!
Ted
"I think it an act of prudence to make provision in time of security, for what would be required in time of danger."    R.E. Lee

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
 You get what you pay for.  Buy better wood.  Or maybe you didn't get what you paid for.  The only cure is another piece of wood.  If you stain it dark it will always look like you stained sap wood dark.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »
I think it depends somewhat on the style of rifle you have in mind. If it was a iron mounted southern gun I would use bone black and some birchwood caseys walnut stain. Anything else I would get a different stock and save or sell that one.

ron w

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »
one of the several characteristics of a decent gunstock blank is the absence of sap wood. even if rated as a entry level blank, sap wood shoud not exist and if it does your supplier is suspect of ripping off customers.

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:49:29 AM »
This is a Thompson Center Hawken a friend asked me to put together for him. I normally only work with maple from a blank.
Dave

ron w

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
one of the places commercial kits skimp to save production cost is in the grade of the piece of wood they supply. most of the commercial kits assume the assembler is new to the hobby and isn't all that familiar with grading of gunstock wood.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
MANY years ago I re-stocked my brother's rifle with a piece of walnut that had some sap wood. The walnut was very dense also where the sap wood was.  I did not stain the wood but left it in it's natural color.  Long story short the stock came out beautifully and the sap wood did not detract from the gun's looks. You have to be the judge and do what you feel is right.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:57:40 PM by Ky-Flinter »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb