Author Topic: Stained too heavily  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Maurice

Stained too heavily
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:57:35 AM »
Too many applications of LMF Nut Brown stain has made my stock a little too dark in several areas - particularly the belly of the forestock. Any suggestions on what can be used to lighten the area? Or should I keep my hands in my pockets? Stock has not been sealed. Also, I notice what appears to be a haze on the stock after staining. Gradually took it down to 800 grit prior to staining with whiskering after each finer grit (except after the final 800 sanding). is this typical or did I go too far with the 800.

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Stained too heavily
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:00:21 AM »
You could try wiping the stock with an alcohol soaked cloth and see if it lifts any of that stain. The reason I suggest that is because I have a rifle stained with Nut Brown, and I got some alcohol on the stock and wiped it off with a clean cotton cloth and it turned the cloth a reddish color.
Now I have no idea what the actual effect of wiping or rubbing the stock with alcohol will be but it could possibly lift some of that extra stain.
I applied only one coat of Nut Brown and it darkened some spots more than others and made the entire stock darker than what I wanted. I don't care for it.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:42 AM »
You could try a green or light gray Scotchbrite pad.    I usually use those after staining to burnish the stock.   It will remove some of the stain from the surface.   I always use AF so that really penetrates.   

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:12:39 AM »
The LMF stains are alcohol based.  Rub the stock with some denatured alcohol on a rag.  Go slow and check often, it's easy to get it too light.  When the stock is still wet it will look darker than when it dries.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:21:39 AM »
IMHO, 800 is waaaaaay too much.  I hardly sand any more, but 220 or 320 is as fine as I would go.  Your stain is trying to penetrate a piece of glass.  The grain underneath the forestock is just the more open end of the grain, I'd say.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 05:35:40 AM »
IMHO, 800 is waaaaaay too much.  I hardly sand any more, but 220 or 320 is as fine as I would go.  Your stain is trying to penetrate a piece of glass.  The grain underneath the forestock is just the more open end of the grain, I'd say.

I had these thoughts as well.
Hold to the Wind

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »
I finished one down to 400 grit one time, and it was shiny.  This one should shine like a chrome bumper.
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
220 is as far as I go. In  fact I ran out of 220 a while ago and have finished the last couple with 150. I didn't notice any difference in the final product.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »

Bingo!  Too smooth, the grain has been sanded to a non-porous sheen.  Overachieved in the sanding arena. 

Offline Maurice

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »
Frequent changing of 100% cotton BVD T-Shirt 3"X3" squares dampened with denatured alcohol worked very well.

Thanks for pointing out the upper limit for sanding a stock. Guess I took the need for whiskering too seriously.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »
220 is as far as I go. In  fact I ran out of 220 a while ago and have finished the last couple with 150. I didn't notice any difference in the final product.

This is what happens when you don't use calipers, Mike
Bob

South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »
"This is what happens when you don't use calipers, Mike
Bob"

Hah!   :-)   Too funny Bob Hill.