Author Topic: Interesting old rifle  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Interesting old rifle
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:56 AM »
I managed to pick this up as I found it an interesting specimen of of what appears to be southern architecture with a twist

how to upload pictures on internet

upload to album

image hosting private

anonymous photo sharing

how to upload photos online

The barrel is a small caliber, 41 1/2 inches long and about 15/16th's across the flats (could be more) heavy as can be. The trigger guard is made in such a way that the grip rail has had a finger that folds over the bow and the but plate is flat on the comb with the sides bent at an angle.....the most interesting (in my mind) is the profile (from the lock bolt side) gives the appearence of the southern style and then there's the brass lock.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Interesting old rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
My guess is it was built in KY.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:55:16 PM »
Looks like it might have been a full stock at one time? Thanks for sharing!

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »
Many years ago when I first discovered muzzleloading, an old black man that I knew said he had an old muzzleloader that had been in his family since they were freed after the Civil War. It was full stocked, with a back action lock, and hand forged iron furniture. It looked very much like this gun in many ways. Its triggerguard was different, in that it was gracefully forged all in one piece, with no welds. It also had a butt plate like the one shown. He said his great grandfather bought it from a gunsmith in Mississippi, before his family moved to Texas. The gun was unsigned, but the family legend was that the gunsmiths name was Kennedy.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:49 PM »
I also think the gun could have easily come from southeastern Kentucky, down in the "hill country" region where TN and KY characteristics were mixed due to the influx of TN people coming "up" into KY. No question it was full-stocked originally, with the last barrel loop still attached just behind muzzle. Only thing I'd question here is the lock. I doubt a "Cincinnati" lock would show up originally on a southeastern KY gun (or TN gun for that matter) and the mortise seems slightly large for the current lock. Obviously mortises wear, but this one seems a little on the loose side to me. Great wood, clean stock architecture, and I've seen somewhat similar side facings on some KY guns, with the unconventional angled upsweep at the front end. Most iron KY guards are forged together where the bow and finger rail meet, but this one is interesting since it appears to have the slender rail pass through the rear of the bow and be staked or riveted to hold it in place...unless my eyes deceive me.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:16 AM »
Look closely at the third picture from the bottom....the rail of the gaurd has had a finger forged on the end of the rail and that is folded over the bow. To me, that's interesting. This was a full stock at one time, but the barrel's coloration and overall even wear and rust tells me that the fore stock left a long, long time ago. As for the lock, I can't prove in a definit way that it is indiginous to the piece, but having a multitude of backaction locks that are original, I could easily compare plate width, length so forth and so on. One thing I notice about backaction locks is that mostly (not always) those old backaction jobs are slender when compared to the present day L&R locks.

It may also be plausible that the smith may have migrated northward to ply his trade in other areas, not just Cincy, but
perhaps a farther bit west, Indiana perhaps? Perhaps he was trained of learned his craft from the southern regions.

I lean more towards the lock always being there. I haven't taken it apart, but it would be easy to remove the lock, take a look and take some more pictures. I just find it interesting and am seriously thinking of building a sister rifle, complete with brass lock and all.

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »
That`s  a neat old rifle . I can`t help with ID  but, I like the piece . I like contemporary guns . I LOVE old guns.