Author Topic: Powder post beetles?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Scota4570

Powder post beetles?
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
I have a fancy piece of maple that I could use for a stock.  It has about a dozen pin holes.  They are about 1/16" in diameter.  A couple probe to be about 2" deep with monofiliment fishing line.  There is no active sawdust from bugs.  IT has been coated in varnish for a couple of years.  I don't see any new holes. 

How can I be sure the wood is not actively infested?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:15:30 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Powder post beetles?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:16:53 PM »
I would not want to spend much time with it. I had a 10 ft x 12 inch maple board like that. I gave it to a stock duplicator and told him to get as many blanks out of it as possible. I think he got 4 out of it and inlet for 7/8 barrels. Then drilled re holes! I gave all but one away. The tiny holes on the outside turned into huge long holes on the inside. Big mess!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
Like Dennis said, the fact that the if no active infestation doesn't necessary mean the stock is good. A few years ago, I bought three rifle stock with beetle holes from a vendor at a very good price. He didn't hid the problem, we discussed it and I decided to take a chance.

What I didn't know was that the beetle holes went into the wood for a 1/2" or so, then turned to parallel the grain so a small hole became a large groove if enough wood was removed.

Out of the three blanks, I got one useable rifle stock, one pistol stock, two of the most beautiful vise handles you ever saw, and a lot of carving practice.

Dale H

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
It's a parallel in terms of risk to buying the proverbial "Pig in a poke".  And like Forest' Gumps' mom said about the box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get.   

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
This is a typical powder post beetle hole under the surface;

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:20:30 PM by Ky-Flinter »

n stephenson

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »
Is it my imagination or do they always seem to go for the prettiest piece in the pile? A friend of mine in Mississippi had a shed full of blanks . We looked through a pile of blanks that were infested and, it seemed there were more in the most figured wood. It could have just been coincidence but they really ate up the pretty stuff.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
I've had the same thing happen a few time over the years. I had some walnut a friend and I cut after Hurricane Hugo that got infested with the little devils. The little entry hole is not the problem, it's the tunnels they make. It's a lot of trouble to hide these in the finished piece. I don't mind a distressed look, but old stocks don't show these tunnels only the entry holes. I have a blank of this walnut in the shop now that I have stained real dark with alcohol based stain. I've been filling the holes with superglue. My hope is the stain will soak in as deep as the superglue. If this works I am going to use it for a gun for my self. I'll use aqua f. To stain. That'll turn it black and hopefully it won't show badly. This piece came from one of the historic sites in my area. This is the only reason I have gone to this length to salvage.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 03:48:25 AM »

Bummer!

I may run it through a planer, thin it,  and cut some stock shapes.  IF there are any holes in the stock shape I won't go further. 

Scot
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:22:41 PM by Ky-Flinter »