Author Topic: Breech Plug Wrench  (Read 5322 times)

Offline draken

Breech Plug Wrench
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
What do the builders on here use: an actual breech plug wrench, or a crescent wrench.  Dixie listed a plug wrench in one in their catalogs twenty-some years ago but I don't remember seeing one anywhere else....ever. ???
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Breech Plug Wrench
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:35:17 AM »
I have always used a big crescent wrench. Never had a problem yet
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline diamante

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
I have one from Rice Barrel Co. Excellent!

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
I use an old monkey wrench that I picked up for a dollar or two at a flea market. Because the jaws a slightly sprung, it fits a breech plug perfectly.

Dale H

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
Using a big Crescent wrench w/ copper shims works well, but sometimes a 2 foot length of pipe is req'd......Fred

Offline gusd

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »
I've tried monkey, pipe wrenches, but really like Rice's breech plug wrench! 8)
Gus

509thsfs

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
A large Crescent wrench

rmatt

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
+1 on the Rice wrench.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »
It's been a few years but several breech plug wrench's were pictured on this topic before. A search of past posts on this topic should reveal many ideas.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
Plus two Rice Barrel Company's breech plug wrench and while you're at it get their vise jaws for barrels also. No more scarred up breech plugs and barrels. Yep I used brass shims and all sorts of cluge jobs to get breech plugs out best money I've spent with regard to removing and installing  regular breech plugs. Tim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:02:14 PM »
A large Crescent wrench

Make sure it's a decimal crescent wrench and not a metric ;D ;D

Bob Roller

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
   I use a small crescent wrench. Put the wrench over the bottom of the plug and make sure that the jaws do not extend over the top of the tang. If the jaws do go over the top of the tang it can mess it up. Have to put a pipe over the handle to actually turn it.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
Bob, what if it's a European gun, can you use a metric adjustable end wrench? (I had a high school metal shop teacher who wouldn't let you check tools out of the tool room unless you called them their proper names). Dittos with only wrenching from the bottom.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

galudwig

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
+3 on the Rice wrench (and their vise jaws for the barrel).  ;D

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
Smooth jaw,  Stilson wrench ;). $5 at an antique\flee store
My good one says Ford on the handle !!

Respect Always
Metalshaper\Jonathan

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 03:36:53 AM »
Jonathan, The Ford ones are pretty common, as there was one in the tool kit of every Ford car and truck from the model T to about 1952. I have one in my '49 truck.
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 04:58:40 AM »

This is what I use.  2 pieces of ½" bar stock , one side tapped ¼"-28, the other side clearance drilled.
Long side is 24" long, as you can see, it's a little bent from a tough breech plug, but still working.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
The one I use is like Smallpatch's only mine has a long bar on both top and bottom and two bolts on each side.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
Show off!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »
I used a crescent wrench for years, always got the plug off without much damage although sometimes took some "persuading". A few years ago at Friendship, bought a plug wrench and vise jaws from Jason. Combined with a 3/4 inch cheater bar, removing the toughest plug is as simple as unscrewing a water bottle. Wouldn't dream of using anything else now.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hudson

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
On the breech plug wrench the one I made is similar to the one shown by smallpatch. Made from 7/8 square stock main part 18 “long, Bottom 4”. Bolts are ½ X 3 1/2 alien cap screws. First ½ “ from end space between 3”. Care is taken to tighten evenly on the plug. A cheater has been required a time or two.

realtorone

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 01:35:47 AM »
I made one some 20 or more years ago  similar to smallpatch's except no long leg and I drilled my holes so as to use nuts.I use a 12" cresent,a smooth jaw ford wrench or put a piece of pipe over the longer leg ,if needed. It has not failed me yet.

George

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
Bob, what if it's a European gun, can you use a metric adjustable end wrench? (I had a high school metal shop teacher who wouldn't let you check tools out of the tool room unless you called them their proper names). Dittos with only wrenching from the bottom.

Metric adjustable wrenches have very fine threads on the adjustment or so I've been told. ;D
I HOPE there is nobody on this forum that believes either of us.
Proper nomenclature can be useful. Crescent is actually a brand name but it now applies to
nearly any wrench with a screw adjustable jaw.

Bob Roller

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 03:00:37 AM »
Jonathan, The Ford ones are pretty common, as there was one in the tool kit of every Ford car and truck from the model T to about 1952. I have one in my '49 truck.
Mark
PD,

Yeah I knew it wasn't a special wrench, but still works good and is reasonably tight and smooth in operation. Found a couple of other ones, that I have gifted to fellow builders who liked mine😀. Plus my grandpa in law and father in law were both Ford employees!!
So they both thought it was cool😎

Respect Always
Metalshaper\jonathan