Author Topic: Cleaning powder chambers  (Read 15356 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Cleaning powder chambers
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2017, 04:21:04 AM »
It's petroleum.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
That is my understanding as well, however at one time, it was classified as a bio-degradable product, however, the label says is contains "Petrolium Distilates"  Thus, it is unlikely it will mix with BP- so I don't mix it, I use it simply as a moisture displacement fluid, which it seems to do remarkably well, along with using it as a preservative, which it also does here in central B.C., quite well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Lampro

• Starting Member
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
"For hunting using Mink Oil or Neetsfoot Oil I do not have to wipe at all for the next or 10th shot after the first. I assume from this my patches might be thicker or I'm using larger balls in ratio to

the bore size. I use WWWF + a bit of oil for trail walks. Always an oil or grease-type lube for hunting, as noted, Neetsfoot or Mink."

>>>>>>>>>>>

What is WWWF?

How do you put the Mink or Neetsfoot oil on the patches? Do you oil the patches in advance or do you oil them right before you load?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:58 PM »
For hunting, a loading block with oil lubed or greased patched balls is pretty standard.  In the larger bores, like .58's or larger, paper ctgs. containing powder and ball are nicer (impervious to temperature extremes) to use and carry as well as being faster to load. Some guns cannot fire more than a couple of those before needed to either be wiped or use a wet patch/ball combo for a cleaning shot. My 14 bore allows 10 paper ctgs. being fired between cleaning loads with a squib load of 82gr. and wet patched ball.  The paper ctg. is a tight fit into the bore, not loose as in military paper ctg. loads. Loose means inaccurate.  Tight ones will shoot as well as cloth patched balls and to the sights.

WWWF+oil is  Winter Windshield Washer Fluid + a tich of Neetsfoot oil. I use about 1 1/2 to 2oz. per quart, oil to water.  Shake to mix, then pour over cut patches in a container. Mus shake prior to lubing as the water-based fluid separates quickly form the oil.

I like the oil as it slows evapouration in the summer time at Rendezvous B.C.  It can be very hot there - well over 100F out in the sun.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:39:57 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 04:10:09 AM »
      Who ever decided the patented breech should be used in long guns should be hung from fish hooks in his testicles and beat with steel ramrods.   Just my opinion. 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:44 AM »
      Who ever decided the patented breech should be used in long guns should be hung from fish hooks in his testicles and beat with steel ramrods.   Just my opinion.

Tell us how you really feel?  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 04:59:52 AM »

smooth

Because we remove the barrels for cleaning, flushing/pumping water into and forcing it out again a number of times, cleaning a patent breech is no different that cleaning a flat breech plug with screw-in or drilled vent.  It's just as easy and quickly accomplished.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:02:03 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
There are some new foam cleaning tips of various calibers that work well for oiling the patent breeches.  They are like foam paint brushes.  I use a 30 caliber foam tip that I put Barricade on to get to the patent breech for lubing and rust protection.  When heading to the range, or before setting out for a hunt, I blow out the barrel from the nipple or touch hole liner (depending on the gun) with an air compressor, or if an air compressor is not available a blast or two from one of those co2 dischargers.  I have never had a FTF when doing this for the past 3 years.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
I like the patent breech and find it no harder to clean than any other type. Just use water and flush/pump and the thing is clean. If a person thinks its too much work to clean his ml gun he should take up another sport. After cleaning I dry the bore and anti-chamber and use WD-40. Have done it that way since the late 60s and never had a problem.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
   I'd rather not push the pins out of my full stock rifles every time I shoot them,  maybe it doesn't hurt anything, but I figure sooner or later it's going to mess something up.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2017, 04:59:20 AM »
   I'd rather not push the pins out of my full stock rifles every time I shoot them,  maybe it doesn't hurt anything, but I figure sooner or later it's going to mess something up.

May not mess something up as much as not getting your barrel really clean will, over time.- perhaps.

Seems the guys Taylor makes guns for, have no difficulty removing the pins and barrels to clean. Interesting.
Daryl

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
   Do you remove the barrel every time you shoot.  i sometimes shoot several times a week, sometimes every day.   I'm not saying your wrong, but it seems to be unnecessary to remove the barrel 3-4 times a week.  I just think a flat breech face would be a better idea.  My daughters long rifle has a patented breech, and I don't see the advantage of it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2017, 06:09:51 AM »
Being able to get powder behind a dry ball is just one of the reasons I like the patent breech. Some people never dry ball but I sure do.  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
For me, my patent breech rifles have hooked breeches - even the one with the 48" bl. and full stock.  It has 4 keys holding the barrel on. 

It's almost as easy to clean my pinned barrel (.36 Squirrel Rifle) as it is the long one - no wait - it's actually easier to clean, as the .36 only has a 38" bl.

If cleaning a barrel, I prefer to get it clean. I have used the plug the vent and pour water in, let it sit a bit, flush it out and repeat - however, actually removing the barrel and cleaning it as previously described, is faster than the vent-lugging, wiping, wiping, wiping wiping etc, etc until it's clean method. 

As well, it only takes 4 or 5 patches to clean to bore spotlessly, dry and oil oil it. You KNOW it's clean with No residual fouling in any crack, crook or cranny, patent breech or flat.
Daryl

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
     I only have one hook breech rifle, a caplock plains-hawken type, but the other four are flint long rifles with pinned barrels,   I've gotten so used to cleaning them I kind of enjoy it,goes with the game I guess,  Therapeutical I guess and I sure need that.    I never thought about using the chamber in case of a dry ball, and I guess used it that way many years ago on my daughters rifle when I did just that.   I'd like to say that was the only time I've ever run a dry ball down, but that would be a lie.  Thanks guy's I learn something new every day , even though I'll probably forget by morning.