Author Topic: Conflicting finishes  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Marcruger

Conflicting finishes
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
Just a head's-up guys - I discovered that Tung Oil and Minwax stains do not play well together at times. 

Dave Crisalli made me a nice double-ended ramrod to go with the Gunner's Mate tool he made.  He sent the rod unfinished so I could stain to match.  Dave is a true artist.  Beautiful and useful tool. 

I used Aqua Fortis, and it blushed to a beautiful rust tone.  Too light though for the rifle.  I used Aqua Fortis again.  No change.  No darker.  Even to the point of charring the surface in a spot. 

I had experimented first with AF and various stains on dowels and pieces of wood.  I discovered the Minwax Dark Walnut over the AF gave the right color. 

I added the Minwax stain, and wiped it back as directed.  I let it sit for two days (it felt dry), then rubbed in a thin coat of Tung Oil.  Hooo-boy.  It is still sticky a week later.  It is hardening, but slowly. 

I've used Tung Oil over Minwax in the past with no problem, save one set of grips.  The latter made a sticky mess, but it eventually hardened up like it should after about three weeks. 

So, just a head's up that this is probably not a great finish combination. 

As a second head's up for lubricants, never mix Tetra Lube grease with Hoppe's No9.  My dad once cleaned his handgun with Hoppe's No9, and greased the wear surfaces with the Tetra Lube.  It turned to a virtual rust-colored contact cement.  It seriously acted like contact cement.  Almost impossible to get off too.  So, just a big "beware". 

Hope this helps someone.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Daryl

Re: Conflicting finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »
Tks for the warning, Marc.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Smoketown

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:30:08 AM »
Marc,

Try setting it in the sun outside ...

That may help it to 'kick'/harden.

Something about the 'UV rays' if I remember correctly.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
Good point!  Out it goes.  It is hardening slowly, but speeding that up is not a bad thing.  :-)