Author Topic: ...Bark-Tanned deerskin Hunting Bag.....  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

...Bark-Tanned deerskin Hunting Bag.....
« on: April 28, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »
 ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\...Just found & bought this handmade bark-tanned deerskin hunting bag at an antique store in the Smoky Mountains.....is lined in a thin canvas like material, maybe linen....8 1/2" W X 7 1/2" D.....leather is kinda stiff, and light in color... How can I darken & soften leather.....???? ....thought maybe 'Olde English" dark furniture oil..?? ....suggestions appreciated... Thanx, boys, ..regards. Fiddler......

get url for photo

image safe

free image service

images of up

ltdann

Re: ...Bark-Tanned deerskin Hunting Bag.....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:32:19 AM »
Neatsfoot oil, will do both, soften and dark.   I use it when I do brain tan....smells nice too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:33:05 AM by ltdann »

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:29:37 AM »
I used a mix of 70% bees wax 30% mineral oil heated on the stove an then poured up into tins. It will soften and darken not to mention make it water repelant
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
Neatsfoot is pretty good with cowhide and finished leathers, but you have to watch it on the thread since you evidently have an antique.

IN another post somewhere I posted this formula for Dubbin;

1 part liquid lanolin and 1 part rendered beef or mutton tallow.  The former will come out of a healthfood store.  The latter can be made from trimmed fat rendered at a heat low enough to prevent sizzling or smoke.

Add about a 1/4 part pine oil.

The first time I did this, at the advice of another Cordwainer, I thought I goofed because it came out like jelly.

The beeswax mixture mentioned above is alright, but beeswax will tend to stiffen and run out in weather.  Even so the MIneral Oil will tend to hang around.

Dubbin goes back to the middle ages.  Regretably, we can't get Sperm Whale Oil.

You also have to be careful to make sure that this is an antique.  Some of the craftsmen out there will induce an artificial aging effect by using chemicals such as oven cleaner or paint products to beat the snot out of the leather surface.  I never did that, but neither have I ever seen someone's bag treated as such fall off their shoulder from rot while still looking soooo goooodddd...

In that event, rub whatever you are going to use in a small patch of hard-to-see leather on the bag.  Let it sit for about a day before doing the whole bag.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid
The Capgun Kid

AKA The Still River Cordwainer

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
"you evidently have an antique."

Do you think so?

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »
I'd like to believe it an antique from the pictures,unless you made it James Rogers and the joke is on me.

If not, then you guys might want to check in with Sligo Bill.  He knows his bags.

PS, Say hello to Major Rogers for me.

Capgun

Offline art riser

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Not an antique... part of the Gary Ganas collection... we sold it at the show in Knoxville...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:23:12 AM by art riser »

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »
Art Riser...Not an antique... part of the Gary Ganas collection... we sold it at the show in Knoxville...
Can you share with Fiddler whether or not any treatment was used to make it look so good with so much character?

Also,  I'd watch the neatsfoot on deerskin.  If you can make Dubbin, fine.  If you can't , some of the natural skin cream or hand cream products that have no silicon in them might be more appropriate.

Also, see if you can get the bag to talk.  I betcha it'll have a few good stories...

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

bowman48

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
I use bear grease on old leather and on new pouches.  It produces a rich color, is water proof after several coats, and preserves older leather.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:35:51 AM »
 ;D 8) 8)...Thanx for the suggestions, boys....I used the boot grease made by Herman's (like sno-seal) plus a light wipe of "Olde English" dark walnut scratch remover oil on the cloth lining....Also twisted, bent & massaged the $#*! outta the bag.... Got the look I wanted...!!!....  view the  photos above to compare.....well pleased... ::) ::)....

pix image

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:38:08 AM by Cades Cove Fiddler »