Author Topic: Henry Derringer Contract Indian trade rifle  (Read 5867 times)

Kanketchum

Henry Derringer Contract Indian trade rifle
« on: April 29, 2017, 02:30:51 AM »
I have a nice Derringer contract Indian trade rifle that is complete and original except for a reconversion to flint. The lock plate is  original but the remainder of the flint parts have been replaced. An incorrect pan and frizzen spring were used in the reconversion. This is a rare early gun that is in better than average condition and deserves a proper restoration. I would like very much to have the reconversion work done with the correct parts. Is there anyone out there that still does this type of work ??

upload my pictures

img images
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:11:06 PM by Kanketchum »

n stephenson

Re: Henry Derringer Contract Indian trade rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »
Kanketchum, I don`t know if he is taking work or not but, Jack Brooks has done a lot with those style rifles. Just a thought .

Kanketchum

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
Thanks,S.E.B.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
I agree that Jack Brooks is the place to go for this.
Very fine H. Deringer (one “R” for the real thing).

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Kanketchum

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
So embarrassing. My spell checker didn't save me on that one.

Thanks,S.E.B.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
Another strong recommendation for Jack Brooks.  He is primarily doing restoration work in recent years with just a few new builds.  He is back-logged, so you would need to be prepared to wait your turn in the queue.  But the wait would be worth it.

Here is a post I did some time back on a contemporary Deringer rifle Jack built.  The pictures will give you an indication of the quality of Jack's work.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=36499.msg350533#msg350533
Phil Meek

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:09:21 PM »
The Rifle Shoppe has the correct Deringer lock for your rifle either as a kit or completed.  You should be able to get the appropriate parts there.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Kanketchum

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
Thanks to all. I have sent Mr. Brooks and e-mail and hope for a positive response.

S.E.B.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:22 AM »
It's sad to see guns reconverted with no thought to the history the gun saw as a percussion. Most likely the major part of the guns working life.

Hungry Horse

Offline DaveM

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 01:28:18 AM »
Similar rifles I have seen had british locks.  Your appears more germanic to me but hard to aee from the photos.  If it is germanic to me looks fine as it is.  Nice gun

Kanketchum

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 02:36:17 AM »
The lock plate is original and correct. I would not think of replacing the plate only the repro. parts with something as nearly correct as possible. I would never be a party to a reconversion but when I come across a gun this rare I take it like it is and try to improve it if possible.

Thanks
S.E.B.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »
Love this rifle & that wonderful copper cheek inlay. Some time ago I got a Deringer smooth rifle which I believe was also under Gov't contract.

Might yours have any star or arrow markings on the barrel?

I've a P GONTER whaddayacall it half-round fairly heavy bore gun. Has arrows engraved on bbl, and very old trade gun style trigger guard.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 01:23:20 AM »
Just learned - if one moves that little gray bar at the bottom one may see both right and left sides of pix

Kanketchum

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »
My rifle has only the Deringer name and address on the barrel, no stars or other symbols. Your gun is probably older than mine. These guns are found with a number slight variations.

Thanks
S.E.B.

Kanketchum

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »
Mr. Brooks has agreed to take on the restoration of the Deringer Indian Trade rifle as a project. There will be a long wait for the work to be completed but I am sure it will be worth the wait. I will try to share pictures of the completed work at this site.

Thanks
S.E.B.