Author Topic: H.House trigger gaurd?  (Read 4252 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
H.House trigger gaurd?
« on: April 29, 2017, 11:14:15 PM »
 Could someone tell me if Herchel marks his trigger guards he makes. If so how. Reason I bought a couple at the Tennessee show an each one has an H.H. stamped on them. Curious to know if they were made by him. Thank you in advance O

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: H.House trigger gaurd?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:36:49 AM »
  It is a forged trigger guard. Anyone know? Oldtravler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:11:32 AM »
 :o :o... Post pix.... are they new without any finish or ageing... ?? ... or have they been on a rifle,...??...this is on an original Tennessee rifle....

galudwig

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »
Here are a couple of examples of Hershel's marks on guns of his that I've personally handled. The first two are from his personal squirrel gun that he brought along to the Canter's Cave Gunmakers Seminar in 2013:

Here is one of his touch marks on the side plate:

These are from a rifle he brought to the CLA in 2015.  Trigger guard:

Sideplate (the "H/H" is what I see him use on the knives I've bought from him in recent years):

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:35:13 AM by galudwig »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
 Galudwig the H.H. mark is exactly what I have on these  trigger guards. They have no other marks. Both are very well made but unfinished. Thank you very much for your help. It made my day!! Oldtravler

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
Good find Oldtraveler.  Glad you hit the jackpot on those. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
Marcruger they were in a catch all box. Everything for $4 each. Everything is hand forged. Butt plates, nose caps excetra. Even a patch box that I gave to a friend. It pays to rummage threw those odds an end boxes. Thanks Oldtravler

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D... WOW....  YOU made THE find at the show...!!! ... I didn't know HH ever made extra parts, besides those he used in his own builds....I was there, but didn't rummage through the boxes....(guess I better start).... Wanna double your money..??? (haha)...PLEASE POST PIX......!!!!...... cheers, Fiddler.........

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »
Probably something he made for a class demo he was teaching.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
Oldtravler , You did good !! Next time you come to Tennessee I want you to buy me some lottery tickets!!! Hey! like the old saying goes "I`d rather be lucky than good!!    At the prices I`ve seen other handforged mounts by a well known maker sell for, you might have found yourself an extra retirement fund LOL!!    Good Find!!! 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:11:17 PM »
  Cades Cove I found them in the room that Ian Pratt was in. Remember the guy's who we're selling the precarve stocks with barrels. They were liquidating an estate. Not far from Dennis Glassner . Didn't have a clue at the time. Just when I got home I started checking an saw the H.H. forge mark that I got curious. Going to bring it to the CLA to show to Herchel an see if he remembers.  Wished we could have chatted at the show. Oldtravler

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 10:14:21 PM »
 ;) ;)...Were you with Jack DuPrey..?? ...I did look through this fellows stuff.... had my eye out for a .40 cal. tow worm, and we looked through all his parts...you must have found the guards on Friday.... I didn't arrive until late (4 PM) on Friday, and came back on Saturday morning until closing.... got to meet a couple guys on this group & the FB groups too......Nate is right....some other makers parts go high.... these could be a goldmine.....give us some photos.... ...Cheers... !!! 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
That was Wayne Battle's table, they were selling a lot of stock/barrel sets for the widow of a gun maker. I believe his last name was Lewis. I bought a nice Bedford stock/barrel combo from him. I did not see the guards or I probably would have bought them! Glad you got them.
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:52:21 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
 Cades after Jack an I set up Friday. I went snooping for a southern style gun parts. The guy's I bought these from has several. It was such a great price for forged parts I couldn't resist. Not realizing what I had found. Just my lucky day I guess. Oldtravler

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
Dennis I was lookin at that too! But am saving for a Duprey smooth bore. The people were really nice that we're selling the items. Not sure but I believe they said a lot of the items were from the 70s. Everything they had was very reasonable. Oldtravler