Author Topic: Putneyville PA rifle  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Putneyville PA rifle
« on: May 01, 2017, 12:47:19 AM »
Another Wm Shreckengost rifle. Early in career.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Putneyville PA rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
How many have you photographed in total. Quite and honor to your family. Should/ could we add them to Library?
Hurricane

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
Close to 70 rifles. I'd like to submit a compilation of better quality photos to the library. The photos from this thread were auction photos and poor quality. I'll PM you Fred

Offline lexington1

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
Wow, Rob. Awesome piece, like most of your GGG grandfathers are!

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 04:56:21 AM »
You got it! Congrats! Glad it came back home.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
Yes, but somebody else liked it more than I hoped they would at the auction.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 09:39:03 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
This rifle has some very unusual characteristics for a Wm Shreckengost rifle.  Although signed W * Shr which I have seen before, this
rifle also has the name J Mertilson after the maker's signature but evenly spaced between the maker's normal flower motif on either
side of the signature showing it to be original to the rifle.  I am aware of 1 other rifle signed on the barrel "W Shreckengost for Daniel
Boyer"  I assume Mertilson was who the rifle was made for but will try to research further.  The engraving on this rifle is early work.
Other interesting features are the wrist inlays similar to Upper Susq style which I have not seen before.  The lack of a two screw swallow
tail tang is also very different but similar to Wm's son Levi's work.  Lot's of mysteries in this rifle.  First effort will be to restore the cracked
stock.  The combination brass and poured pewter nosecap is typical of his work but later rifles were more developed as in this photo.

hosting photo

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:54:17 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:26 PM »