Author Topic: Jacob Stoudenour rifle  (Read 4585 times)

lizkin

Jacob Stoudenour rifle
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:49:57 PM »
  We recently acquired this rifle and have enjoyed it so much we decided to share some pictures here. This is a Jacob Stoudenour rifle of Bedford County, PA, we believe it to be the rifle pictured in Calvin Hetrick's book" The Bedford County Rifle and its Makers". This rifle is an excellent example of Bedford rifles, with great architecture, engraving, carving and inlays. The draw back is the stock has been replaced from the front of the middle thimble to the muzzle. The repair was probably done in the 1970's and is of the highest quality, even knowing it is there I have to look for it.
  The .42 caliber barrel is 45" long, the rifle is 60" overall length and weighs 11 pounds. J.S. is engraved on both the barrel and the lock. There are a total 16 silver inlays and a large brass inlay running from the front of the trigger guard to the tail of the entry thimble. The engraving on this inlay is worn from obvious use. There is relief carving on both sides of the cheek piece. A beautiful curly maple stock is the basis for all the elaborate detail of this fine rifle.

somehippy

Re: Jacob Stoudenour rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:20:07 AM »
Pretty swanky  8) The inlay on the lock side breech area (presumably to protect from flash) is ingenious, yet tasteful.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:07 AM »
Lizkin,

Very nice rifle.

Buck

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01:13 AM »
One of the nicest I've ever seen!  Pls send it to the Virtual Museum for future reference possibilities and inspiration!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:23:32 AM »
 A wonderful Bedford rifle. Thanks for sharing it.  Is the flash protector German silver? 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:24:51 AM »
Looks like a proof mark on the barrel near the breach on the cheek side flat
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:47:21 AM »
I've always like the looks of those guns, never held one that fit me proper, but that's the way they were....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »
This would be the only Stoudenour in the Library ( I was surprised). If the owner would allow it to be added, I will add my barl signed " John Stoudenour 1834" for comparison and ask "experts" to offer their opinions as to whether it was made by or for John by Jacob. I have tried to compare with book pictures. Perhaps other can lay comparable picture side by side and opine.
Hurricane

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
That's a great Stoudenour rifle. I have always admired his work. LP

lizkin

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
This gun is currently owned by the Log Cabin Shop and I would love to add it to the virtual museum, but I can't quite figure out how to do it. Help?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2195.0

You may also PM (Hurricane ( of Virginia)" and he should be able to help you.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 02:15:34 AM »
I saw this rifle while in the shop recently and, although the pictures are great, they do not do it justice.  One of the very few "high end" rifles I have actually been able to hold and it made my day.  For those who have not been to the Log Cabin I would encourage stopping if the opportunity presents.  The "big room" is a treasure trove of Ohio and military guns and the folks running the place are pretty cool too. Jack
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:17:55 AM by GrampaJack »