Author Topic: Jaeger Rifle Caplock Conversion  (Read 4768 times)

Offline heelerau

Jaeger Rifle Caplock Conversion
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:19 AM »
 A mate dropped this over, he bought this recently from a chap who is getting rid of his vast collection.  The lock has a broken scear,  which I need some advice as to whether it could either be repaired, or need to make a complete new one. The lock has a fly and an adjustment screw through the tumbler to adjust  the let off . I am not sure if the bridle is original because of the provision for an extra screw, or what appears to be so. Bore with cleaning looks like it will come up nicely and likely as not a shooter.  I am interested to see the similarities in style to my early Lancaster rifle,.

posted image

upload image gif

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:50:57 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Jaeger Rifle Caplock Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:04:42 AM »
That's a great gun. The lock is beyond my minuscule capabilities, but should be easily fixable. Let us know how it shoots. What is the twist and caliber? I'm betting one in the length of the barrel...
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline heelerau

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:52:21 AM »
Mike I have squibbed out on the repair myself and am sending it to a chap in Adelaide South Australia who does ver good lock work.  In the meantime I will give the bore a good tub up and order a .54 ball mould.  ;D

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:20:12 AM »
I have a military jaeger (ca. 1819) converted to percussion with a .58 cal. barrel that is 29 inches long.  Mike is correct in that mine has one complete twist in the length of the barrel.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:48:03 PM »
Heelera, the extra hole in the bridal is just decoration.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
Stan, thanks for that.  This arvo I ran an oil soaked brillo pad down the bore and lo it has come up shiny all round,  a few pits about but I found a tight cleaning rag to wipe the bore went down and up without feeling rough, I also find it is closer to .50 which is real handy as I have a .50  long rifle. Should get the lock back soon and will be ready to try her out.  It has quite a quick twist and left hand, any suggestions as to a load, I use 90 yrs in my .50 and that shoots really well. This jaeger is ver short, the barrel is just under 26 inches long,  so suspect a smaller charge.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:00:16 AM by heelerau »

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
 heelerau,I have several Yeager's & enjoy shooting originalrifles. One I hunt with is a 50 yard gun, has an original
19 inch bbl with 1-24 pitch rifeling, shoots great at 50 yards but because of the extra short bbl it shoots about 24 inches low at 100 yds. Its a boar rifle made by Hauer in Bamberg who died early 1750s. To your guestion I would start with 65 grains & go from there. Stan

Offline heelerau

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
Stan, thanks for that.  I wonder if this to is a boar rifle, its dimensions are such that I wonder if it was made for a young boy. it has quite a short pull.  65 grains will be the starter !
Today is the 13th of July, just adding to this existing post, lock has come back from the locksmith, and he has done an excellent job of repairing the broken scear.  Lock works a treat and the set triggers are fine to,  the trigger is also good let of unset. So will put a few balls down range in the next few days and will report with a picture or two !! Fitted up  the missing sling points, thanks to TOW and a nice elk hide sling .
Cheers

Gordon
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:42:40 PM by heelerau »

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 01:18:42 AM »
I have had the scear repaired, and note on full cock you get a double click as the fly re sets. If you only get a single click it has cocked but the fly is not in position and it drops into the half bent, hence the original broken scear ! Have just picked  up a  .530 bag mould from Track and will see how it goes. I did try it with .490 and and a ver thick patch, did not shoot to bad at 50 m. with a 50 grain FFFg charge. Will post a picture of the next group shot with the new mould, if it is decent !

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 04:18:26 AM »
Gordon,

The vast majority of such rifles seem to have  a short pull, but this is because of how they were held for firing.
With these, you lean back and place your left elbow against your ribs, holding the fore-end back towards the trigger-guard.
These don't fit at all if you hold them in a modern manner, left hand well up the fore-end and head forward on the stock.
Hold it as I said above, and keep your head back, and you will be surprised how nicely it sits.

I'd like close ups of the lock and sideplate area, plus any other interesting bits!

I'd not seen this one before. Musta missed it!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
Pukka, here are some photos of the good bits !

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
Gordon, it looks like a very nice firearm.  Especially enjoy the "village scene" on the sideplate, and the engraving on that nicely fitted nose cap.
So how does it shoot?  If you hold it as suggested, should do pretty well.
Do they have feral hogs (boars) there in Australia?  What are the bag limits, if any?  Of course, there "down under", I guess you could go after kangaroos and wallabys.  Never tried either, but being grazing animals, I suspect it might be all right!
I take it that there are few restrictions on muzzle-loading firearms.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the photos Gordon!

My birthday is coming up.  :-)  No need to send a card ad well....
I really like this one.  Not looked it up, but it appears N Central Germany. Is that right?

Craig,
I don't answer for Gordon, but pigs are common in many parts of OZ, and no restrictions on clobbering them.
Much more restrictions on 'roos these days though.  (Uncle used to thin them in the Perth area, in the 20's. on the farm where he worked)

Offline heelerau

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
I have to date only shot a .490 ball thick patch and 50 grains of FFFg, and it holds 8 ring at 50m off the bench. I now have a Track bag mould in .530 and will try it out in the next couple of weeks. Bore is nice, a couple of pits which look more like occlusions in one of the grooves,  patches don't tear.  and it loads easily.  I find both the  German style hold and the modern hold work well for me. The german hold give me a longer sight radius. Pigs they are feral and open season no bag limits. We have them locally so might get a chance !! You can see it has a lot of features that your early long rifles have, paternity !! We have a few roos loose in the top paddock but they are free ranging pets !! Still smaller ones are good eating !

Cheers

Gordon

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Gordon and Richard, Thanks for the response.  When I was 21, our carrier made a brief stop in, I think, Melbourne.  We were only there for about 12 hours, and some of us did get ashore for 4 hours or so.  Being the age I was, and returning to CONUS, I was more interested in the Fosters than in natural history.

Richard, here I have been thinking you were a Scot transplanted to Canada!

This forum gives me looks at some really nice firearms, and I appreciate them all.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
Craig,

It's along story, but I'm basically Yorkshire.

Uncle went to Australia from Yorkshire.  I've never been! 
Both mine and wife's ancestors had Scottish /Irish connections...

Gordon,

Can't say how much I enjoy looking at this rifle!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »
Pukka, is you Uncle still in Perth? My late father came out from Yorkshire just after WW1 !

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 05:50:54 AM »
Gordon,

Maybe they came out on the same boat!

No, my uncle died some time ago.
He worked on a sheep station and farm for a certain Mr Cunningham.
Cunningham was also a Pommy, and when first out there he ploughed some land. It set like roof tiles and it remained that way.  He and the blokes tried disking it after a rain, but it just put little lines in the surface.  They found they had to plough, "as deep as a matchbox" or it'd set like iron.
He loved it out there.  His dad being gamekeeper he was V good at catching rabbits, and shooting 'roos on the fly.
Took him a couple of weeks to check the fences, and he lived mainly on  mutton.
For new forest, he would catch the sheep and fill a cigarette paper with sugar and tip it in its eye, and that usually cured it.

When he first went out, he was a wheat lumper.  He was awful competitive, and worked like a steam -engine.  The blokes would say to him, "You're not a Pommy!"  and he felt V proud of that!  Sacks, grit and sweat took all the skin of your back for a start, but it came back thick and hard he said!  (sacks were filled, sewn up,  and then finished to bursting point with a funnel in one corner.  Nothing to hold on to on them.
I worked along side him and we made a team! ...even if he Was a Lot older!
Name was Tom Reeve.   A great bloke.

Should have said he only had a thumb and index finger on one hand.  Had lost the rest in an accident in West Riding carpet mill as a young lad.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:55:44 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline heelerau

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 12:48:33 AM »
I tried out some balls from the .530 bag mould, certainly shot better, 45 grains of FFFg and a fairly thick patch as the grooves are ver deep. Fired off about 7 or 8 shots and finished up with a 9 ring group at 50 yards off the bench. Ver windy day. Will do a bit more tinkering with the load. I also shot a postal match with it, 25m off hand. both ranges it shoots poi. I tried the old German offhand position with left elbow snugged agin the chest and leaning back a bit, it feels odd but works fine.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
Very good Gordon!!

It's a lovely rifle.