Author Topic: George Bean rifle  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
George Bean rifle
« on: May 02, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
Does anyone know where I might find photos of a George Bean rifle?
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: George Bean rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:53:48 AM »
 ;) ;)...Dennis... I have never seen a George Bean rifle.... How does he fit into the geneology   of the Bean family of gunsmiths...??  ...what were his approximate years of work in the gunsmith trade...??

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »
CC Fiddler
George Bean was a son of Capt. William Bean other sources give his birth place as Pittsylvania County VA others Halifax County VA (Pittsylvania County was formed from Halifax County). Some sources give his birthdate as 1750 and others 1754. If he was born in 1750 he would have been around 19 years old when his parents moved to TN.

Cassie-F-Harp http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/h/a/r/Cassie-F-Harp/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0252.html

My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Capt. William Bean

Capt. William Bean (b. 09 Dec 1721, d. May 1782)
Capt. William Bean (son of William Bean and Margaret Hatton)4 was born 09 Dec 1721 in St. Stephens Parish, Northumberland County, Virgina, and died May 1782 in German Creek, Washington (now Grainger) County, TennesseeBuried at Bean Station.He married Lydia Russell on 1744 in Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, daughter of George Russell and Mary Henley.

Children of Capt. William Bean and Lydia Russell are:
i.    +Russell Bean, b. 1769, Washington County, TN, d. 09 Jan 1826, Washington County, TNUriel Cemetery.
ii.    William Bean, b. 1745, Augusta County, VA, d. Abt. 1825, Hawkiins Co., TN.
iii.    Robert Bean, b. Bet. 1747 - 1750, Halifax Co., VA, d. Abt. 1793, Hawkiins Co., TN.
iv.    George Bean, b. 1754, d. Bef. 1820, Franklin Co., TN.
v.    John Bean, b. 1760, Virginia, d. Abt. 1811, Washington County, TN.
vi.    Edmund Bean, b. 1763, Halifax Co., VA, d. 03 Dec 1807, Washington County, TN.
vii.    Jane Bean, b. 1766, Halifax Co., VA, d. 1798, Grainger Co., TN.
viii.    Sarah Bean, b. 1768, Pittsylvania County, VA, d. 1861, Fair Play, Oceolo Co., MS.
ix.    Bean, d. date unknown.
In an article on Grainger County TN (see below) he is listed as "George Bean Sr., goldsmith, jeweler, and gun maker"

Grainger County[/b]
By Kevin D. Collins , Rutledge
Grainger County holds the distinction as the only Tennessee county named for a woman, Mary Grainger Blount, the wife of Territorial Governor William Blount. The state legislature formed the county in 1796 from parts of Hawkins and Knox Counties, and it once included parts of Campbell, Claiborne, Hamblen, and Union Counties. The county seat rotated meeting places until 1801, when a courthouse was built in Rutledge.
Nestled between the Holston and Clinch Rivers, Grainger County retains much of its rural nature. Rutledge, the county seat, has a population approaching 2,500. Founded in 1798, the town was named in honor of General George Rutledge of Sullivan County. Blaine, now a suburb of Knoxville, traces its origins to the 1700s, when it was known as Blaine's Crossroads because of its proximity to the residence of Robert Blaine. George Bean Sr., goldsmith, jeweler, and gun maker, settled Bean Station, the county's most recently chartered town (1997). Bean Station served as a crossroads along the Old Kentucky Road (Highway 25E) and the New Orleans to Washington Road (Highway 11W). These towns lie to the south of Clinch Mountain, which splits the county into two geographical sections. Communities north of the mountain include Thorn Hill, Washburn, and Powder Springs.

That's about all I know about him.

I am sure I saw a rifle at the Knoxville TN show that had a card saying the rifle was attributed to George Bean, I was in a hurry and planned to come back and look at it closer. Later I could not find the rifle so I can not swear it was what I thought it was!

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:28:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:01:27 AM »
... Wow... Thanx, Dennis....Franklin Co. TN is also where Jesse Bean worked.... might be an interesting connection as yet undiscovered......you saw my post on my rifle... I have seen one more similar in Franklin Co. in same family 100+ years & known as "the Bean's Creek gun".....

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
Attached are photos of a rifle attributed to Jesse Bean of Bean Creek in Franklin County, Tennessee.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:12:32 AM by Ky-Flinter »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Sequatchie Rifle - Thanks for posting the pictures of the Jesse Bean (attributed) rifle. It looks like the tail of the lock is lower than the front. I have a flintlock that has this feature (see picture). It isn't signed, but Dave Byrd and Jerry Nobel looked at it several years ago and said that they think it may have been made by one of the Beals. Would like to get your thoughts.
Thanks
Gibster

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 01:55:37 AM »
 ;) ;)...Thanx, S.R. .....My rifle pictured above came from an estate in Northern Lincoln Co. TN. .... near to Huntland where the Bean shop was... I have only seen one other with "Bean's Creek" provenance...... very similar to yours, but also unmarked..... Yours makes the 3rd I know of.....However, the Beardens were building rifles in the Taft area of Lincoln Co. at the same time.... all rifles I have seen by them were signed.....Let's Find George... !!!!

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:07:14 AM »
I have a William Beals rifle. I'll take a look at it and compare it to the one pictured.

Bill

Sequatchie Rifle - Thanks for posting the pictures of the Jesse Bean (attributed) rifle. It looks like the tail of the lock is lower than the front. I have a flintlock that has this feature (see picture). It isn't signed, but Dave Byrd and Jerry Nobel looked at it several years ago and said that they think it may have been made by one of the Beals. Would like to get your thoughts.
Thanks
Gibster

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »
 ;D ;D...SR ...... post pix of your Wm. Beals gun.... saw a couple fine ones at the Knoxville show a couple weeks ago......