Author Topic: Keeping it simple  (Read 7289 times)

n stephenson

Keeping it simple
« on: May 02, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
I have noticed different posts here about cleaning rifles/guns . When I built my first rifle I was fortunate enough to have the late Ron Ehlert  help me . After sighting the rifle in we cleaned it. I have cleaned every ML I`ve owned or shot the same way every since . Basically soap and water and when I`m done I put Bore Butter down it on a patch. I know someone will tell me I`m doing it all wrong but, I`ve got a rifle that shoots as well today as it did 35years ago.  I`ve seen tons of "new and improved"  super solvents , wonder jags , super rods , miracle greases etc.   I`m not against "progress" or "improvement" but , every time I see a new product I can`t help but think of a conversation I had with a professional B.A.S.S. fisherman. He told me that people already knew how to catch fish but, new lures were designed to catch fishermen not just fish. I realize that these days people are chomping at the bit for the latest gadget , miracle potion etc but, if I was starting out now I would really be confused . This stuff really isn't all that complicated . Keep it simple , it`s much more fun and , less money . JMHO!! 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:31:37 PM by n stephenson »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Keeping it simple
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »
I agree with the keep it simple idea thats why I only use water to clean and WD 40 after I'm done. If you live in a more humid climate you might need some other bore oil after cleaning if you plan on storing the gun for extended times.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
It works just as good now as it did 250 years ago. But I had to get fancy and start using the pine scent bore butter. Smells nicer. Not sure why it matters what my guns smell like.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
Simple is also logical.  For me it's water with a bit of detergent for cleaning, regardless.  I will often use WD40 in the clean, dry bore if I won't get back to it for a couple or few more days.  Longer than that and I use Barricade or BreakFree CLP.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
I have about four different half used bottles of cleaners on my bench.  I use a different one every time I clean.  Sometimes from patch to patch.  Not much difference in any of them, but the Lehigh smells nice so I use it last.
Brice Stultz

Offline steve1122

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:10 AM »
I also do the soap and water method, with bore butter finnish. keeping it simple is the way to go.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:23:50 AM »
Im a soap water dry it then bear grease guy 8)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:06:25 AM »
I'm with Smylee Grouch on this.  Room temperature water followed by WD40.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 03:46:09 AM »
Yep, tap water and WD40.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
WD may be fine in some parts of the country, however in the high humidity areas such as southern Indiana, I use WD to absorbe any water residue followed by a good lube.

Offline Frank

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
Yep, water and WD-40. Been working fine for me since the mid 1970s.

leadslinger62

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
   Another WD-40 user.  Went through Years of new and improved cleaners and nothing works better.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:46 PM »
I'm with Mate. Soap(dawn) hot water. Dry an bore butter. If I use a lubricant it's Ballistol dislike W-D. Oldtravler

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
One good thing about  using Bore Butter is, it won't all drain into the breech area when stored upright. Most oils do.  My .54 was oiled with Rem oil after the season was over and I can look at the touch hole and see oil.
Water, maybe some detergent sometimes, for me. Been working since '76 with no complaints. A couple of dry patches then stand barrel down while I clean the lock. Then the lock is sprayed with WD 40 and shook and wiped out with a clean cloth. Then a few judicious drops of oil.
Next a patch sopping with wd 40 is run down the barrel a few times, followed by a couple of dry patches. Then bore butter or oil down the barrel.
The metal and wood only need a good rubdown as both are protected by several coats of wax.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:20:01 PM by Ky-Flinter »
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
Water and WD 40 for me as well. I generally go back 2-3 days later and run another patch or 2 down the bore, always seem to get a little more grunge out. If I am not going to be shooting again anytime soon, I grease the bore with RIG. Here in Florida, things can rust on you in a hurry. Little Joe, when I go to Friendship, my lips crack from the dry air compared to home!  ;D
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 02:43:51 AM »
Plain old cold water, followed by dry patches, and then BreakFree. If I'm going to store the gun for a period of time, I use BreakFree chain and cable lube. It has a heavier body, and stays put.

Hungry Horse

Offline little joe

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 05:41:35 AM »
Water and WD 40 for me as well. I generally go back 2-3 days later and run another patch or 2 down the bore, always seem to get a little more grunge out. If I am not going to be shooting again anytime soon, I grease the bore with RIG. Here in Florida, things can rust on you in a hurry. Little Joe, when I go to Friendship, my lips crack from the dry air compared to home!  ;D
Problem is you are not treating the cracked lips correctly. Rub them down with chicken $#@* (it will not help) but you will  never lick them forever, which will let them heal.

Smoketown

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
Little Joe, when I go to Friendship, my lips crack from the dry air compared to home!  ;D
Problem is you are not treating the cracked lips correctly. Rub them down with chicken $#@* (it will not help) but you will  never lick them forever, which will let them heal.

Wow!

That brought back an old memory ...

The 50's version was  - "I put 'Bandini' on my lips to keep them from cracking." (Bandini was a popular brand of bagged steer manure.)

The other guy says, "Does it work?"

The reply was, "You don't see me licking my lips do ya?"   ;)   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
Water, then bear oil.   If out in the rain, or otherwise wet weather I will use WD-40 to insure that all is "dry" but for rust prevention and lube, bear oil is the best I've ever used.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »
Joe, we use a slightly different method down here in Florida but it seems to work. We use alligator $#@*. By the time you finish wrestling with one to collect your lip balm, you forget you had cracked lips. Also has the advantage of not leaving unsightly white residue like chicken $#@*. The ladies seem to like that better. At least until you try to steal a smooch.
Seriously though, some of the worst humidity and heat I ever saw in the Air Force outside of Southeast Asia was in central Illinois. It didn't even cool down or get less humid at night. Plus, the air conditioning up there was not really adequate for really hot weather.
As an aside on this subject, I tend to keep my rifles in my shop in hard cases. I find that keeping them inside in the air conditioning then taking them out side makes them sweat to the point that condensation can cause problems either with surface rusting or dampening powder. Of course, since they normally are taken outside to shoot, normal cleaning would address the rusting issues. Same goes for my shooting glasses. They tend to fog up so bad, especially in the early morning when the humidity is so high, shooting can be almost impossible.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 10:51:51 PM »
Clean with what works for you, and the only suggestion I would have is to avoid using any water that comes from a water softener, as that water is treated with salt. Right now windshield washer fluid suits me just fine (as I have a water softener), and when all is dry inside and out I give my smokepoles (both flint and cap) a patch with Sheath Oil. This is what works for me.  ;)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »
Joe, we use a slightly different method down here in Florida but it seems to work. We use alligator $#@*. By the time you finish wrestling with one to collect your lip balm, you forget you had cracked lips. Also has the advantage of not leaving unsightly white residue like chicken $#@*. The ladies seem to like that better. At least until you try to steal a smooch.
Seriously though, some of the worst humidity and heat I ever saw in the Air Force outside of Southeast Asia was in central Illinois. It didn't even cool down or get less humid at night. Plus, the air conditioning up there was not really adequate for really hot weather.
As an aside on this subject, I tend to keep my rifles in my shop in hard cases. I find that keeping them inside in the air conditioning then taking them out side makes them sweat to the point that condensation can cause problems either with surface rusting or dampening powder. Of course, since they normally are taken outside to shoot, normal cleaning would address the rusting issues. Same goes for my shooting glasses. They tend to fog up so bad, especially in the early morning when the humidity is so high, shooting can be almost impossible.

My grandfather told me that chicken $#@* was a cure for kids biting their finger nails.Never thought of it
as lip balm.

Bob Roller

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 04:07:12 PM »
I always clean in the field with water and oil wih bear oil. A couple drops of 10w oil for the lock.
 We used to do the fishing thing with all the latest gadgets, sonar, bass boat, boxes of lures. One day I realized I had MUCH more enjoyment wading the small streams in solitude (nobody else fishes them) with one rod and a few lures in my pocket and catching lots of smaller fish instead of the race to get the biggest one.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 04:29:29 AM »
Yep, water and WD-40. Been working fine for me since the mid 1970s.

yes- my method - water from the cold water tap, then dry, then flush with WD40, then re-patch, wipe her down, reassemble and store.  This works very well in fairly dry climates. If I lived on the coast, or South Western Ontario, I would use a better rust preventive than WD40.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:47:37 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Stonedog

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 02:49:50 AM »
I cannot agree more.

Really hot water and bore butter.

No problems since I bought my first T/C Whitetail Hunter in 1996!