Author Topic: A Shenandoah Valley Virginia Rifle  (Read 4130 times)

Kanketchum

A Shenandoah Valley Virginia Rifle
« on: May 03, 2017, 12:42:40 AM »
I talked to Shelby Gallien about this rifle. He thinks it was probably made in the Henry Spitzer shop by a member of the Spitzer family of rifle makers in Rockingham county or near by. The patch box shows a strong Spitzer pattern along with the side plate.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:39:47 AM by Kanketchum »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: A Shenandoah Valley Virginia Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 04:15:10 AM »
Real nice.  1820-ish?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
Very nice rifle. Thank you for sharing the wealth.  This is a great example of how they did keep it slim around the lock molding vs how we tend to do them today.  Is that about a .50 cal ?
Dave Blaisdell

Kanketchum

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
I have been told by folks who should know that it cold date to as early as 1815. It has most of the transition era characteristics including a "Swamped" barrel which cannot be seen in the photographs. My micrometer shows it to be about fifty caliber.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
A friend of mine owns a Spitzer (attributed) rifle. It looks just like this one in every way except the patch box is a little different. The Bbl on his is not swamped. It's about .30 cal. Great looking rifle, in my opinion. Thanks for posting pics.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline homerifle

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 02:02:51 AM »
Nice rifle that reflects the work coming from the Spitzer shop! The KRF did a display of Shenandoah valley rifles a couple of years ago and in the mix was a rifle made by Daniel Shomo. If my memory serves me correctly his work resembled that of the Spitzer shop. If he is the maker of your rifle this is only the second one I've seen.