Author Topic: mitch yates rifle, should I send it back?  (Read 9074 times)

Offline snapper

Re: mitch yates rifle, should I send it back?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »
Thanks

TOF did a great job as usual on putting together that Alex Henry for me.  Just wished I could of afforded a better lock for it ;).  I think Darthur might of gotten a little bit  of the long range bug.  He had quite the smile on his face after hearing the 500 yard mini creedmore ring.

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Darthur

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »
Snapper,
You are absolutely correct and wow you have that thing dialed in.  I have thought about those long range shots a lot since shooting your rifle! So much so that when I went back to Friendship the next week-end over at the Dixie booth I had that new Pedersoli Gibbs in my hands for so long it was all I could do to hang it back up. It's hard to find a range with much distance to practice at. I might come down to the long range match in Tenn. next year just to watch and see what it is all about.
 Your flinter you had made was one of the nicest rifles I saw there. I still don't shoot my flintlock as well as I can shoot my old  perc 40 cal but I love shooting it.
Bob,
 Your lock is a masterpiece, and TOF's use of it making that A. Henry was beautiful. Did he show you the Damascus bar lock he made?
 I picked up this fishbelly stock for a short 54 cal barrel I have while I was there for 50 bucks. Tip Curtis helped me match up a lock and triggers for it. It was in the booth where the guys was selling all the stuff that belonged to his friend that had passed away. His name was Don (did not get his last name). From what Tip told me he used to make some fishbellied stocked rifles. Stock is great and I can't wait to get it together.
DArthur

free photo hosting

Offline snapper

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
Darthur

I usually I only get out and practice once or twice a year.  I have no good place to shoot here over 300 yards. 

I get my long range practice at matches.  You get used to playing around with different loads at 1,000 yard matches to see what works, it is just what I and others have to do.

If you get really interested and want a custom rifle in the Rigby style that TOF put together for me a few years ago, I have one I would potential sell.  It a very nice rifle, I have only shot it a couple of times.  It will be more than a P. Gibbs however.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Darthur

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 03:22:27 AM »
I will think about that over the weekend and PM you about it Sunday after I get back from work. Thanks Snapper

Offline Denny Ducet

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
That is a beautiful, gorgeous rifle!  I can only hope the rifle I am having built by a different builder turns out as nice!