Author Topic: Kibler Rifle Pictures  (Read 45448 times)

Offline utseabee

Re: Kibler Rifle Pictures
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »
8) 8)... Great job on your build, UTSEABE ... !!! ....couple questions.....did you  modify T/G ..? (looks good !!) ....will you use any sealer (oil or varnish) on the stock..?? .... What caliber ? .... thanx...NICE JOB ..... regards ...CC Fiddler .....
Thank you, I didn't think I modified the trigger guard, I just filed it until everything was smooth and looked right to me. It now has two coats of Kibler's leaded oil finish and I just rubbed on a thin coat of tried and true traditional oil finish this morning. This rifle is a .40 caliber. This is the first small caliber that I have ever owned. Turkeys beware this fall!  All of my other rifles are early and .58, .60, and .62. This rifle is really accurate so far and uses and way less powder. Should have tried small caliber rifles years ago, they are fun to shoot. I like this one so much that I gave Jim Kibler a sugar maple stock blank at Dixons and ordered another kit in .45. This next one will have a fancier piece of wood, a nose cap, and a patchbox of some kind on it.
John
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »
    This was my first Jim Kibler kit, my first attempt at scraping, and also my first attempt at finishing something to look old. Put this one together at Jim Parkers's kit building class last month.

Very nice utseabee. Love the dark finish and the grease hole.  Great job!....Mick

I really wanted it dark so I used aqua fortis on this one even though it is walnut. Some people say not to use that on walnut, but I got the look that I wanted with it.
Thank you
John
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:32 PM »
I used to use aquafarts on wally nut all the time, if you want dark, you'll get it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 04:51:35 AM »
I use it on walnut and cherry if I want them real dark. I've got an original in both that are just that dark. Like those black guns.         Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Vomitus

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 11:28:37 PM »
 Anybody use iron patchbox's on these Mtn rifles?

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 11:54:51 PM »
Jon Kingsbury put one on a Kibler rifle he is building for me.  He should be posting some pictures of it over the weekend.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:43:22 AM by iloco »
iloco

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »

Yes, I patterned mine from the picture of the rifle in Ivey's book from which Jim Kibler said he based his kit.  It had 3 screws in the finial instead of 2 which is sometimes seen.  I built the rifle and then sold it to someone that wanted it and had enough money to make me part with it.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

nosrettap1958

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »
After seeing all these beautiful rifles I'm questioning why wouldn't you use a Jim Kibler kit?   :)

arthur

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2017, 05:10:15 AM »
Does he have a lefty kit

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2017, 05:14:33 AM »
Mole Eyes, can you tell us your finishing schedule?

Did you use aniline dye?

If so, what brand and color?

The color is stunning!

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2017, 05:53:16 AM »
Here's mine,
.36 cal, pewter chevron nose cap.  Finished about a year ago.

Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
Chowmi, I'd like to know your finishing schedule as well.  Beautiful!

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »

Martin,
I went simple on this one, it was such a nice piece of wood.  I used Ye Olde Aqua Fortis from TOTW, blushed and then straight to sealer and oil finish.  So, the color is strictly from the Aqua Fortis, and a little from the oil finish. 
I used about 3 or 4 coats of Permalyn Sealer, then Chamber's Traditional Oil Finish, which does have a small amount of color.  Can't remember, but it was probably between 3-5 coats of Chambers oil finish. 

I really like the color it came out, and wish I had done the same on my latest rifle!

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 03:15:50 AM »
Chowmi:  excellent job!!!  I love the colour too.  These are fantastic rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »

Martin,
I went simple on this one, it was such a nice piece of wood.  I used Ye Olde Aqua Fortis from TOTW, blushed and then straight to sealer and oil finish.  So, the color is strictly from the Aqua Fortis, and a little from the oil finish. 
I used about 3 or 4 coats of Permalyn Sealer, then Chamber's Traditional Oil Finish, which does have a small amount of color.  Can't remember, but it was probably between 3-5 coats of Chambers oil finish. 

I really like the color it came out, and wish I had done the same on my latest rifle!

Cheers,
Norm

Thanks.

What do you mean by "blushed"?

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
Martin,
By "Blushed" I mean heating the stock after applying the aqua fortis.

The heat causes a chemical reaction between the AF and the cell structure of the wood. The colors go from an ugly grey, to sometimes greenish, to brown and to red.

I used a hardware store bought heat gun to do it, hotter than a blow dryer. 

Taylor,
Thank you, that means a lot to me! 

Cheers,
Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 12:49:38 AM »
Went to Jim's shop today to pick up a .32 walnut stock kit. Great guy and shop. Well worth the trip (although only 35 miles for me). Got the tour, met the dogs and saw some of the hardware for the next model. Looking forward to working on it this winter when I'm home.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

• Member 3
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2017, 05:29:27 AM »
Just after Jim's kits became available, I ordered one on behalf of a lovely woman who wanted to build one for herself, under my guidance.  But life intervened, she found the love of her life, got married and moved away.  I contacted her recently to determine if she intended to set some time aside to build the rifle, and in the end, I bought her out and built the rifle for myself.  this gives me three .40 cal rifles...Ha!
I had ordered a plain piece of wood to keep the cost as low as possible, but Jim asked me if I would take an upgrade on a stock he couldn't sell because of a blemish.  Naturally I agreed.   When the rifle was finished, I simply filled the two places on the forestock that had drying cracks where the whitewood met a little heartwood.  It's invisible.  And the stock is arguably the nicest figured piece of maple I have ever seen.  The curl is tight, consistent from end to end, and the wood is very hard.
I finished the rifle stock...no additions at all.

So I'll start the show with a picture of the rifle's original owner, followed with some of the rifle itself.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2017, 06:06:48 AM »
Yikes, Taylor!
You weren't kidding about that piece of wood!  That is absolutely gorgeous. 

You sure got lucky there, or maybe Jim thought he better give you a good stock ha ha!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »
That stock is beautiful!!!

Can you tell us your finishing schedule, with brand names?

• Member 3
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
When it came time to finishing the rifle, I tried scraping, but in truth, I am very poor at it likely from lack of experience so I sanded with Norton's sandpaper.  Jim's finish is so close to being done, that I started with 180 grit and ended up at 320.  I whiskered the wood using a solution of tannic acid, drying the wood between applications gently with a heat gun, and sanding again with 320.  I repeated that process four times, and finally, no more grain was rising.  Then I applied Ferric Nitrate is a saturated solution, and it immediately turned the wood jet black - everywhere.  Now I was in a pickle...the curl was well defined, but the whole stock was black.  So I started sanding again, first with 320 - didn't make any difference, and finally back to 180 grit.  I removed all of the black to make the stock a uniform colour again, and obviously, the curl didn't change but remained very dark.  Now I finish sanded again with 320, applied Ferric Nitrate again, and blushed the stock with my heat gun.  Now the wood turned a pleasing reddish brown - mostly brown - and the curl popped!  I burnished the wood with a maroon Scotch Brite pad backed with a foam rubber pad. 
I used "Circa 1850 Tung Oil" for the finish.  The can says "low lustre, hand-rubbed finish, contains pure tung oil, protects against spills".  The first two coats I applied with a brush, going over and over the wood to let it take up as much of the oil as it would, then fifteen minutes later, wiped it all off with a cloth.  I let it cure for 24 hours, and repeated, again letting it dry well over a full day and night.
Over the course of the next eight days, I applied coats of oil with a doubled cleaning patch, wetting the stock as evenly as I could, letting each coat dry for 24 hours before reapplying.  Twice I cut the finish back with 0000steel wool, going right down to the wood.  The beauty of Ferric Nitrate is you cannot remove any colour with steel wool; the edges such as lock panels being the exception, so more care is required there.  In total I applied 11 coats of oil.  Over the last three coats, I could see the oil building and increasing in shine, and exaggerating the curl.  I'm delighted with the finish, the colour and the curl.  This finish wears like iron, and is virtually water proof.  The stain and the oil are IN the wood more than ON it, so the finish lasts and lasts.
I'll have to take Daryl out to the range with me to fire the rifle...my right eye has a nasty cataract destined to go in the garbage in March, so I'll have to wait to enjoy the rifle's inherent accuracy, but I'm confident it will shine.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:40:45 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Wowzers!  That sure turned out great.  One of the nicest I've seen.  The color combination worked out great between the wood and metal. 

I knew that was a nice piece of wood, but didn't anticipate it would be that good.  You did a great job with the stain and finish.

Thanks for posting.

Jim

• Member 3
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »
Thanks Jim, both for the compliments and for the wood.  I surely lucked out with that deal!!  I finished the rifle up as received...I have rifles that are fancy with carving, engraving and inlays, but wanted this one as plain as possible.  It took me two afternoons to build the rifle, two days to polish steel, and a week and a half to finish.  I'm a browning kind of guy, obviously, in this case, Laurel Mt. Forge - five applications and a damp box, three hours apart, over the course of one day.  I carded between applications with a hard roll of canvas and left it out on the bench overnight following the day in the damp box.  That always seems to allow the solution to really even out.  I killed the brown with baking soda and water, and poured boiling water over the steel.  The final thing was some motor oil on a rag, and the pleasant task of reassembling lock, triggers, and the rifle itself.
Thank you for a remarkable 'kit' in both design and accuracy.  For example, the butt plate required absolutely no inletting.  I'm thinking, since this rifle was meant for a woman, I shall give it to my older daughter for Christmas.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
That stock is gorgeous, Taylor, as is your usual craftsmanship.  The rifle is something I would like to get eventually; I might even get it to look reasonable.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
Wow,Taylor,home run on that finish!Truly a wonderful job.Did you fear taking to much wood down exposing metal around the inletts during all this?would you think whishering with RO water only first and perhaps one coat of tannic acid may not turn the stock totally black to require such a rub back?