Author Topic: Kibler Rifle Pictures  (Read 45489 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Kibler Rifle Pictures
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »
Joe:  yes on both counts!  Jim has left no wood for removal.  The edges of the lock inlet got too much attention, and so the lock is a little proud of where it should be.  Otherwise, no worse for sanding wear.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2017, 05:43:56 AM »
Taylor, if that started out as a mistake.....you should make more mistakes!   ;-)   Gorgeous finishing.  Jim, gorgeous rifle.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2017, 11:40:37 PM »
Nice job, Taylor - well done. Have it now in my gun stuff folder, another of the files of your guns.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2017, 09:12:52 PM »
Wow, Taylor ! Thats a beautiful job finishing a stock

• Member 3
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2017, 09:27:35 PM »
Thanks Joe:  the results were so dramatic, ie:  tannic acid followed by Ferric Nitrate, serious sanding to remove the black, and reapplying FN, that I am right now re-doing my Kuntz rifle.  After over a hundred rifles, I may have finally come upon a finishing technique that really turns me on.  All thanks to contributors from this site!!  I have several other rifles/guns that are about to get a face-lift.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 02:32:25 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly the tannic/ ferric is the best finish I've found for making curl pop and a nice black finish (with minimal rub back) for early smoothbores
The image is a smothbore with minimal curl in the plain wood and popped with the tannic/ ferric

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:28:53 PM by burnt »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2017, 03:36:46 AM »
I may have to attempt this 'process' on my squirrel rifle, Taylor.  There is curl there that needs to be seen.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tippit

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
Just got this used Kibler 36 cal today...made by Dennis Glazener.  I was going to try to put one together myself but decided to stick with forging knives as apposed to building rifles...tippit

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
Tippit you certainly have the skill and patience to do great knife work. These kits should be a snap! I say give it a go someday!!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2018, 12:39:30 AM »
Taylor,

How would you proceed with this finishing technique if the stock has a lot of relief carving ?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »
I make things for a living but it's been a while since I've done any bench work. When I saw the Kibler kits at the CLA in 2016 I ordered one on impulse.  I've had it over a year and it took me a while to warm up to working at the bench again.  Something clicked about half way through and it ended up being a fun project. 

I opted for aging the metal but couldn't quite get into beating the wood up as much.  I didn't use sandpaper though, I just scraped it.  Used a light application of Laurel Mountain walnut stain to bring out the grain (I ordered better wood) and then multiple coats of their sealer alternating with vigorous steel wool rubs between coats.  So  the stock is a little rough, and that's what I intended.  Would have aged it more if I could have brought myself too it.  Still, has a little bit of an old-time look, I think.

I did a few minor embellishments, moulding lines, contoured the nose area of the stock a bit, grease hole, toe plate and man-in-the-moon inlay.  Loved the kit and the gun's lines are fantastic. My only comment is I'd like to have had a square section on the forearm to help with holding the gun in the vise.  During the build I had a few requests and Katherine really jumped in and did a great job with them.  All in all a great experience.

Done right is better than done fast.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
Nice work on that Rifle.  I like it.
iloco

• Member 3
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2018, 03:57:06 AM »
Hi Dave.  The gun I'm currently finishing is a Chambers Pennsylvania fowler.  I used the same technique on it, and I have done some carving around the breech tang.  I have to be careful and use discretion, but I got it done.  There has to be an easier way to employ tannic acid, without having to go back to basically, the beginning.  I just don't know what it is.

...here's the butt plate for this gun...almost finished the engraving.  My thanks to John Schippers.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »
Not to hijack...but, Taylor, you've built over 100 guns more than me....

This is my 1 and only this far...

It has actually darkened some especially on the rubbed back areas.

I never finished a maple stock. It was recommended here that if I wanted to pop the curl and figure to scrape and use tannic acid and an acid finish.

I scraped it (never scraped a piece of wood before....). Whiskered a couple times and scraped lightly between whiskering. Then Jim's tannic acid..I didn't use a lot.  Wet the stock but wasn't WET. Then used Jim's iron nitrate.

After blushing, I used blue or maybe green scotch Brite and Chambers oil to rub it out..it didn't need hardly anything.  My "wear areas" actually started as an accident where I rubbed a little too hard...so I went with it... basically used the scotch Brite to smooth out the "crusty" dry after blushing.

Finish was Chambers oil.

First coat was soaked on heavy directly after rubbing it out... Every couple minutes I'd rub it in and add more.  Once it seemed to stop taking oil I wiped it down with a nice even light coat. After that, I finished with light coats and rubbed it out with rottenstone after a couple days of drying. There's only a few coats on it...but that first coat was nearly enough.

I burnished with a deer antler tine at one point...I think it was after the first oil coat. Not sure it did anything. 

Only sharing because the color is somewhat comparable to yours.  I love the finish...The gun is an accurate bugger and has taken 2 good bucks both years I've carried it. The build was an "accident". Lol. Didn't intend to build a rifle..intended to screw furniture onto a stock that I thought was a replacement...it was less refined than any precarve I've seen since lol.

My next I think I will hit a little more with tannic acid...

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
Taylor,that some fine lookin engraving on that butt plate,hope you will post some pics of the completed rifle.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
I make things for a living but it's been a while since I've done any bench work. When I saw the Kibler kits at the CLA in 2016 I ordered one on impulse.  I've had it over a year and it took me a while to warm up to working at the bench again.  Something clicked about half way through and it ended up being a fun project. 

I opted for aging the metal but couldn't quite get into beating the wood up as much.  I didn't use sandpaper though, I just scraped it.  Used a light application of Laurel Mountain walnut stain to bring out the grain (I ordered better wood) and then multiple coats of their sealer alternating with vigorous steel wool rubs between coats.  So  the stock is a little rough, and that's what I intended.  Would have aged it more if I could have brought myself too it.  Still, has a little bit of an old-time look, I think.

I did a few minor embellishments, moulding lines, contoured the nose area of the stock a bit, grease hole, toe plate and man-in-the-moon inlay.  Loved the kit and the gun's lines are fantastic. My only comment is I'd like to have had a square section on the forearm to help with holding the gun in the vise.  During the build I had a few requests and Katherine really jumped in and did a great job with them.  All in all a great experience.

Brent,

Nice job!  I like how you finished this out.  It's interesting to note that this is a piece of walnut.  At first glance you might think it's maple with the curl.

Jim

Offline smoothy

• Starting Member
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2018, 03:41:57 AM »
Geez Brent,
I never even thought of it being walnut the other day. Didn't get to check it out long enough. If you need to give it an aged look, give it to me for a while. I'm clumsy enough to give it a good, honest beatin' up  look. Won't charge a dime for it, either.

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
Geez Brent,
I never even thought of it being walnut the other day. Didn't get to check it out long enough. If you need to give it an aged look, give it to me for a while. I'm clumsy enough to give it a good, honest beatin' up  look. Won't charge a dime for it, either.

That's might generous of you ! :P
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »
Some beautiful work posted here.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »
I thought I had already posted this, but it doesn't seem to be here.
45 cal Kibler, first maple upgrade.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2018, 04:30:46 AM »
   Smallpatch I'd sell it...It's at least an inch low...lol.  thanks for showing. Very nice gun...One of these days I'll quit dragging my feet an order one...

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2018, 10:17:38 PM »
Oldtraveler,
I did!  Didn't want to file the front sight!
In His grip,

Dane

Cajun72

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:13 AM »
Wish I had the courage to build one. The work y'all are turning out is awesome.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2018, 06:20:03 AM »
Wish I had the courage to build one. The work y'all are turning out is awesome.
No courage required unless you want to add something. The machines have taken all of the fret out of assembling these things. Sand the wood slick, apply wood and metal treatment are there you go. Have at it.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
Done! I narrowed the comb and brought the wrist deeper into the butt stock, added a toeplate, and cut some incised lines on the butt and forestock for a little extra bling and emphasized the lock and side plate panel a bit more.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:45:03 AM by Eric Krewson »