Author Topic: Killing time while the wife cooks supper.  (Read 7062 times)

Offline EC121

Killing time while the wife cooks supper.
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:29:49 AM »
Had some time to kill before supper today.  So I went out to my range and tried some loads in the new .58cal. smoothbore.  I had various good and bad shots with different loads.  Got down to my last five patches so I tried 70gr. of 2F.  This is the result.  The last five shots actually made sort of a group.   At least enough of a group to encourage me a little.  As always the challenge now is to repeat the shots.   The beauty of the smoothbore is that if you shoot poorly, you can blame the lack of rifling or back sight.  If you shoot well, you can brag about how well you overcame the lack of rifling or back sight.  It is a win-win situaition.   ;D 

Brice Stultz

Offline Joe Schell

Re: Killing time while the wife cooks supper.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »
Looks like your getting it dialed in.
Have you tried it with shot yet ?

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:36:32 PM »
Joe:  I haven't tried it yet.  Mainly thinking about trying it on a deer.  Shot would be another avenue to explore.
Brice Stultz

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 03:45:26 PM »
 EC121 you got time. It's a long time till deer season. Coming along fine. Oldtravler

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
I've never tried working up a load by shooting offhand.  I can see though, with a smoothbore without sights that it might be a good way to go.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
That doesn't look too bad. How did it load? Would a slightly thicker patch or slightly bigger ball work better?   

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
I am not really working up a load as much as playing in the back yard.  I used my bench, but offhand is more fun.    I can always go back to the bench.  I am wondering about the lightweight barrel bouncing off the rest.  I used a foam pad rest at the entry pipe, but it still didn't seem to do right.  Fun is what it is all about.  My deer shots are usually less than 50yds.  If I can shoot near the big bull black at that distance, I will be in minute-of-deer accuracy.

Smylee:  The combination is a snug(not tight) fit in the .575 bore, and .535s are readily available.  It will thumb start but is a good fit.  A .570 won't fit.  The recovered patches aren't blown so it must be about right.  I think I am mostly sight limited.  The rear groove is wide, and it is hard to get a good sight picture.  Elevation is hard to repeat.  If you look at some other holes in that target there is some vertical stringing on the centerline.       
Brice Stultz

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:33 PM »
With that .535 lead ball, you should be using a patch at least .022" thick, assuming your bore measurement (.575") is correct.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Smoketown

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
I am wondering about the lightweight barrel bouncing off the rest.  I used a foam pad rest at the entry pipe, but it still didn't seem to do right.   

When sitting at the bench, hold it like you would when hunting.

Rest the back of your forward hand on the top of the sandbag.

You may be surprised.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
  EC121 let Duprey help yeah. He sights all his guns off hand. He helped me improve my shooting a hundred percent. He gave me this advice. " If yeah ain't steady. Yeah ain't gonna hit what your shooting at."  At 81 he's one of the best off hand shots I know. Oldtravler

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
Taylor:  I measured the muzzle with two different calipers.  Both read .575.

I have some thicker patches, but I was using up a partial bag of the thinner ones during the shakedown phase.  I'll use up the .020s next.  I also have some felt wads to try behind the patched ball.  I do this for fun.  No matches around here anymore so I can play in the yard.  I've probably used up about 2/3 of a pound of Null B priming powder in the last 6 months. Today I took the lock apart because the hammer stop was just barely catching the lockplate.  Had to barely open the square hammer hole to let it slide a bit farther on the tumbler shaft.  It was probably OK, but over time it could have beat the metal out and started stopping on the tumbler screw.  All is good now. 
   I also found out that a Minie ball is a press fit in the bore, but I'll have to give that some more thought.  Due to the projectile weight recoil and excess pressure could be a problem.
Brice Stultz

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
I don't know what barrel you have, but I doubt that the extra pressure from a Minie slug will cause any concerns.  Recoil will definitely increase though, and might induce a flinch...not good.  These rifles are designed for round ball.  The Minie will tumble = very poor accuracy and extra poor hunting projectile.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »
You must be shooting non stop to use up 2/3 pound of priming powder.  ;)

nosrettap1958

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 02:17:38 AM »
Its a smoothbore not a rifle.

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
Now I'm curious.  I will weigh the priming powder can tomorrow.  I know I used up the last of a 4F can some time last year before starting on the Null B.
Brice Stultz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:35 AM »
I have never weighed my prime charge but I think the little primer that I use throws about 2-3 grains or so it is advertised as such.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »
   I wish I could just go shoot at my own range out back while supper is cooking! But I live in the suburbs. The local police are fine people, but I prefer talking to them when they are off duty. So my shooting has to wait until saturdays.

Offline EC121

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »
Here is my set up.  I have several big logs and railroad ties in the pile and add more as I trim trees.  I also have a portable target stand.  I can shoot 100yds. on the level. 

Brice Stultz

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
  Nice set up EC. Lucky guy an good shooting. Oldtravler

Offline EC121

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:07 AM »
I weighed the partial can and subtracted the weight of an empty can.  I've used 8.25oz. out of the 1lb.  Part of that is in a couple of spare primers I keep in my shooting box.  I used to hate for a primer to run empty in the middle of a relay.  So I kept spares.
Brice Stultz

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »
I guess I'm fortunate to have a home range also. I have one with a dirtpile backstop but it has no shade and the sun gets brutal when shooting on it. My main range, had for years a large round bale of hay that I further compressed with rachet straps. I never saw any evidence of ball pass through. Eventually the hay rotted away so I'm using rotten logs or stumps as a back stop now. Sometimes I still use the remainder of the old hay bale.
The woods behind the target get so thick I can hardly walk through them and does a good job of stopping a ball in a short distance. But I've been thinking about improving my backstop. Sure would like to get my hands on some of those rail road ties.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »
  Darkhorse fine lookin guns there. Got any pics of those to share? Just wondering Oldtravler

Offline EC121

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 03:12:04 AM »
I bought those years ago.  They aren't as solid as they look, but they start slowing the ball before it hits the brush pile behind them.  Besides I never miss the steel dingers.  ;D  Yeah right!!  My goal is to go 10 for 10 on the 50yd. circles.  I've done 10 for 12 but no closer.  They are 6" and should be easy to run, but I usually find a way to miss. a couple.
Brice Stultz

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »
  Darkhorse fine lookin guns there. Got any pics of those to share? Just wondering Oldtravler

These photo's are of the rifle leaning on the tailgate. I have a piece of plywood with 3 "V's" cut into it to hold my rifles. It is a Isacc Haines with a B weight .40 cal. Rice barrel. Davis set triggers. LH Large Siler lock and iron furniture. I built it for turkey's, targets and small game.

img upload

This is a photo of the other rifle. My first build, Isacc Haines (I love this stock both guns just really fit), .54 Colrane Barrel, LH Large Siler, brass furniture.

American horses of Arabian descent.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Great job on those rifles. Love the treatment around the wrist and comb area.