Author Topic: Diamondback blackpowder.............  (Read 19704 times)

Offline alex e.

Diamondback blackpowder.............
« on: April 19, 2009, 04:57:14 AM »
The choice  of little dogs everywhere :)

We shot some out of the wife's gun this afternoon, no noticable difference.

I'll run some through the FDC tomorrow & see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:58:35 AM by alexsnr »
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

quigleysharps4570

Re: Diamondback blackpowder.............
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
Any updates?

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:57:52 AM »
I'm not sure yet. i run it through two different smoothbores of mine,Being that i prime with fffg most times ,I'm not happy with ignition,If i pick my vent,keep things clean & have a good flint,it seems to go well. Its when i don't there seems to be a hangfire   I have to try some ffffg as prime & see what happens.  as far as accuracy in the smoothies, i think i am at fault,
For reenacting blanks...it goes boom :o

I am still indecisive on it as of now.

I started playing with my .40 as of late so that will tell a tale,As far as it being  "dirtier" i cannot really tell.  About all for now.

Alex..
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:05:38 PM »
More, more!!

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »
I prefer 4F for prime, although 3f seems to work too.  The faster the prime manifests itself from the frizzen's sparks, the greater and faster the release of energy in the form of heat and therefore the faster the ignition of the main charge. Pletch's experiments have proven this beyond doubt.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »
You do know that it is the old Elephant , just under a new name.  When I ordered from Powder inc. last month, that's what he told me.  He said the reinactors,  like it, and some of the BPC guys that shoot a lot, cause  it's cheap.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:47:39 AM »
You do know that it is the old Elephant , just under a new name.  When I ordered from Powder inc. last month, that's what he told me.  He said the reinactors,  like it, and some of the BPC guys that shoot a lot, cause  it's cheap.

Bill
Yes!

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »

Bill

The machinery from the old S/A Pernambuco Powder Factory was moved to a newly constructed plant that went into production about 3 years ago.  The new plant uses the same type of tree for their charcoal.

When the first container of powder from the new plan arrived from Brazil I tried to get my hands on some of it.  No deal.  They would not give me any samples.  Claimed they did not have the necessary permits.  I would have been allowed to watch some shooter from Texas test it at the storage facility at Tamaqua, PA.  But I was expected to just watch it silently.  So I just walked away from that deal.

Then about a year ago another container came up from Brazil.  The reps from Diamonback visited some local gunshops handing out samples.  Dixon asked me to check out a can of 3F Diamondback they left with him.  So I took it to the range to check it against the GOEX made at that time.  This second container of Diamondback was about 100 fps slower than 3F GOEX in an 80 grain charge in the .50 cal. Lyman Trade Rifle.  When comparing between shot cleaning patches I could see no difference between GOEX and Diamonback in the amount and "texture" of fouling collected by the damp bore swabs.

When Diamondback learned that I had tested the powder they asked me to go up to the Tamaqua facility when the owner of the plant in Brazil was up for a meeting with them.  I declined that offer since it would have interfered with something else I was doing at the time.

E. Ogre

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »

Bill

The machinery from the old S/A Pernambuco Powder Factory was moved to a newly constructed plant that went into production about 3 years ago.  The new plant uses the same type of tree for their charcoal.

When the first container of powder from the new plan arrived from Brazil I tried to get my hands on some of it.  No deal.  They would not give me any samples.  Claimed they did not have the necessary permits.  I would have been allowed to watch some shooter from Texas test it at the storage facility at Tamaqua, PA.  But I was expected to just watch it silently.  So I just walked away from that deal.

Then about a year ago another container came up from Brazil.  The reps from Diamonback visited some local gunshops handing out samples.  Dixon asked me to check out a can of 3F Diamondback they left with him.  So I took it to the range to check it against the GOEX made at that time.  This second container of Diamondback was about 100 fps slower than 3F GOEX in an 80 grain charge in the .50 cal. Lyman Trade Rifle.  When comparing between shot cleaning patches I could see no difference between GOEX and Diamonback in the amount and "texture" of fouling collected by the damp bore swabs.

When Diamondback learned that I had tested the powder they asked me to go up to the Tamaqua facility when the owner of the plant in Brazil was up for a meeting with them.  I declined that offer since it would have interfered with something else I was doing at the time.

E. Ogre
If we get in to using it - looks as though adding 10% more powder should compare well with Goex ???  Powder, Inc has it for sale I don't know the price! Seems like it may be a good 2nd option at least when cost is a factor in deciding!

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »

[/quote]If we get in to using it - looks as though adding 10% more powder should compare well with Goex ???  Powder, Inc has it for sale I don't know the price! Seems like it may be a good 2nd option at least when cost is a factor in deciding!
[/quote]

A recent observation suggests to me that in 2 or 3 years you would most likely welcome it with open arms.
Beyond that, I'll not comment.

E. Ogre

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »

If we get in to using it - looks as though adding 10% more powder should compare well with Goex ???  Powder, Inc has it for sale I don't know the price! Seems like it may be a good 2nd option at least when cost is a factor in deciding!
[/quote]

A recent observation suggests to me that in 2 or 3 years you would most likely welcome it with open arms.
Beyond that, I'll not comment.

E. Ogre
[/quote]Oh Oh! >:(

California Kid

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »
Powderinc has it for $10.00/ lb shipped. Checked yesterday.

quigleysharps4570

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
A person oughta buy anything they could afford right now.  ;)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »
A person oughta buy anything they could afford right now.  ;)
Thats for sure thats for dang sure!  After all it doesn't spoil! ;)

Diamondback

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Howdy - we are sure glad to be here to talk about Diamondback Powder ... new shipment in stock arrived in Tamaqua PA last week ... now available in sporting 1Fg, 2Fg, and 3Fg ... and cannon grade ... this is real mechanical black powder ... crafted with very special care ... beautiful consistent sized grains ... great flow when pouring ... burns super clean (shot 20 shots in a row myself many times at the factory without cleaning) ... and very well priced ... all in a handsome looking can too ... and with respect to what everyone is asking about ... yes, it is made in Brazil ... but this is not the old Elephant powder ... different location, different management, different staff ... made by a major explosives manufacturer with a passion for things that go boom ... bottom line is this powder has great quality at a great price ... buy it ... shoot it ... love it! I will be walking around the Shot Show in Vegas on 19JAN and 20JAN if anyone wants to meet up and talk about genuine mechanical powder ... the real thing! Check out the website www.diamondbackchemical.com today!

roundball

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »

"...buy it ... shoot it ... love it!..."

Surprised your first post is marketing hype.  I'm just a simple country boy...I would need to have some sort of issue or problem that the powder you're hawking would solve...have to have some reason to serve as an incentive to change and do not.

When I consider all aspects of blackpowder characteristics in order of importance to me...ie: reliability, ignition speed, accuracy, fouling, availability, cost...I find Goex to be the best all around price/performer on the market...and the good news is that it's made right here in the USA.

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
Diamondback, I have to agree with Roundball, plus the president of Brazil has stated emphatically, that he has A big problem with people of my particular eye color, you know, causing ALL the problems in the world.
Nothing personal.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bigbat

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »
We had better support the "Good Ole" United States products as much as we can. Too many things are being imported at cheaper prices only to hurt US in the long run.   Have any of you asked yourselves "whats going on ??"

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Diamondback blackpowder......
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 02:22:39 AM »
Its good to have as many suppliers as possible...
Its also good to buy American---I support that...

If America stops making and selling, its good to know that there are alternatives. Its a perlous time to be alive... but exciting too.

I'll look for ya at the SHOT Show Diamondback, and best of luck to you sir.

Ken Prather

Galations 2:20

Offline Mad Monk

Re: Diamondback blackpowder......
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:52 AM »
Its good to have as many suppliers as possible...
Its also good to buy American---I support that...

If America stops making and selling, its good to know that there are alternatives. Its a perlous time to be alive... but exciting too.

I'll look for ya at the SHOT Show Diamondback, and best of luck to you sir.

Ken Prather

We should not forget that when GOEX was the only show in town there were several times that the future of the business was in doubt.  Every time they had an explosion at Moosic or Minden the plant would be out of production for 5 to 6 months at a time.  Twice there were questions if the facility would be rebuilt.

GOEX tried to scale back the Moosic plant in 1995.  GOEX had tried to import black powder from Brazil for sale through their distribution system.  Moosic would have produced only military powders.  Fireworks, blasting and sporting would have been Elephant in a GOEX can.

When GOEX shut down the Moosic plant it took them 7 months to get back in production at the Minden plant.  Were it not for Elephant, at that time, the U.S. would have run out of black powder several months before Minden went into production.

In 2002 the investment company that owned GOEX, at that time, tried to sell the whole business to WANO, in Germany, but wanted too much money for the business.  In 2003 the investment company approached WANO with a deal where WANO would produce ALL of Goex's powders.  They thought about simply shutting down the Minden facility.

The bread and butter BP production at Minden is the military business.  The military pays about $30 a pound for powder similar to what we use.  Just larger grain sizes for military applications.  So sporting powders are just a side show in their business.

Bill K.

straightshooter1

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 03:03:51 AM »
Goex is now owned by Hodgdon Powder

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:35 AM »
Goex is now owned by Hodgdon Powder

I should have clarified that.  I assumed that everyone knew it.

Bill K.

Dave K

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 05:36:41 AM »
Bill, I was hoping you would chime in. Have you tested or at least had a chance to use this powder? If so, is there anything you tell about it?

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 05:53:42 AM »
Bill, I was hoping you would chime in. Have you tested or at least had a chance to use this powder? If so, is there anything you tell about it?

Dave,

I have not seen any of the latest container into the U.S.

I did get a can of 3Fg out of the second container they brought in about 2 or 3 years ago.  I would have to go back to my backup disks to locate it.

When Dixon gave me the can of 3fg I bought a fresh can of GOEX 3Fg before leaving the shop.  A few days later I took it down to the range.
Over the chronograph it was a bit slower than the can of 3Fg used as a "standard". But since I had not shot a bunch of GOEX that year I don't know if I had a fast or slow lot of GOEX given the range in lot to lot velocity I had seen with GOEX in past shooting.

I was using Ox-Yoke's version of the Lehigh Valley lube.  During the shooting I could not tell any difference in the amount or "texture" of the fouling.  They fouled identically in my .50 percussion rifle.

When I shot the Diamondback it reminded me of the 1999 Elephant performance.

I was first told that this Diamondback powder would sell for the same price as GOEX.  When I check the web now I see they priced it well below GOEX prices.

I have not looked at any of the Diamonback out of the most recent container but then I have not looked at GOEX production in the last 2 or 3 years either.
Too busy racking up the mileage on the bicycles pesting the deer we keep running into.  Darn things are a hazard on the bike trail we use.  If I take up flintlock deer hunting again it will be off a good mountain bike!!

Bill K.

Diamondback

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 08:36:11 AM »
Apology to all about the marketing hype on my first post ... got me on that one ... no disrespect intended ... guess I just got too excited about getting the chance to say something about the product and clarify some background info ... and I jumped in all at once ... lesson learned ... will make sure to keep the tone down going forward ... and more importantly ... let the product and pricing speak for themselves to everyone ... so I will get back to spending my time on what I do best ... seeking informatin, listening, and understanding what the market expects and desires from real BP  ... and ensuring the product quality is consistent and reliable from lot to lot ... and keep the price good for everyone ... appreciate the replies ... and remain at your service .. thanks ... have a good night.