Author Topic: Building a Brown Bess with a Swedish Barrel  (Read 3155 times)

Online smart dog

Re: Building a Brown Bess with a Swedish Barrel
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »
Hi Runastav,
I think you have it about right.  Below is a photo showing a Pedersoli Bess lock at full cock after I modified the tumbler.

Also Runastav, although the spring on the Pedersoli above is crude, note that I improved it by making sure the lower leaf of the spring is straight when the lock is at full cock rather than showing an upward bend in the middle of the leaf. I did that by pinching the main bend a little tighter and bending the lower leaf of the spring into a slight downward arc (preload). The photos below of a lock I made show what I mean.  I made the mainspring from scratch and shaped it so the tension at full cock is not concentrated at the middle of lower leaf.

dave

"Flick Lives!"

Offline runastav

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »
Hi Guys! And thank you smart dog for nice photo maby I do the same after avile ;)So is the hammer done, and I ask wat steel is in the TOTW frizzen? Oil hardening or case hardening steel???
Runar

Online smart dog

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
So is the hammer done, and I ask wat steel is in the TOTW frizzen? Oil hardening or case hardening steel???
Runar

Hi,
I believe you could harden the frizzen either way, however, I find that when I case harden them they spark better.

dave
"Flick Lives!"

Offline runastav

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
Hi All and thank you smart dog I will do. So is frizzen and spring in place I use a brass patteren to drill loc pin.
Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
Hi Guys! So is the lock readyfor innlet in stock. I ask David S. Ripplinger (TOTW) wat steel, he say Wax cast 6150 steel and for hardening Carbo-Nitriding (As smart dog also said) and so I do and it spark like $#*! ;)And I harden the frizzen spring
Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »
Hi All, okei so the lock is inlet :)
Runar

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »
Hi Guys! So is the lock readyfor innlet in stock. I ask David S. Ripplinger (TOTW) wat steel, he say Wax cast 6150 steel and for hardening Carbo-Nitriding (As smart dog also said) and so I do and it spark like $#*! ;)And I harden the frizzen spring
Runar

Runar,
If memory serves me right,6150 is a castable spring steel. This is an interesting thread to me because I have never made
a big military lock of any kind. If it were a caplock the hammer could be removed from the tumbler and then be used to lay
carpet (rugs) with ;D.
Also,as has been noticed,your ability to fabricate useful parts from whatever is laying around is most impressive.I am spoiled
to our ways and easy to obtain materials from local suppliers and free phone calls to others across the country.
Like others here,I AM impressed with your postings/tutorials and do look forward to them.Good job of that big lock.

Bob Roller

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »
More years ago than I care to remember, I was involved in a manufacturing project.  We had springs and frizzens cast in 6150.  Forty odd years later, the springs are still springy, and the frizzens still spark

Offline runastav

« Reply #33 on: Today at 02:43:37 PM »
Hi all and thank you Bob Roller and Hudnut I am humble!
Lock bolts made from 6mm carriage bolts  ;)
Runar