Author Topic: Bowie rifle, to accompany your Bowie knife  (Read 3379 times)

Offline cable

Bowie rifle, to accompany your Bowie knife
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:29:21 AM »
at auction [ no connection to me of course ], just for interest....how many flintlock rifles with an alligator inlay have you ever seen ?  actually sort of interesting and a little bit amusing and amazing !

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/A-Rezin-Bowie-s-Silver-Mounted-Flintlock-Rifle-Made-by-Bartlett-of-New-York/36094948/LotDetail.asp?lid=36094948

Offline Longknife

Re: Bowie rifle, to accompany your Bowie knife
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »
WOW...65 caliber, it IS an alligator gun!!!
Ed Hamberg

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this. A friend of mine that passed away several years ago owned this rifle for quite a few years. I'm very familiar with the gun and it's provenance. The present owner is also a friend, and I knew it was coming up for sale, but didn't know when.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »
We see quite a few old rifles in Alabama with alligator inlays.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline cable

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »
We see quite a few old rifles in Alabama with alligator inlays.

that is interesting.....and if you ask me that alligator looks a bit too happy, smug, and well fed for my taste !

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
Frank Bartlett built a rifle with a big gator inlay like the one shown. I was just wondering if this was the gun that Frank copied. By the way, Frank's rifle was at the Alabama show this year. His work never fails to impress.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »
This is the Rezin Bowie rifle Frank used as the base for his rifle. Frank worked from poor photographs but compared to the original he got very close. A friend of mine owns the rifle and was gracious enough to allow me to display the rifle at the Joe Wheeler State Park Show. The rifle probably could be bought but will be expensive. Frank was a friend and asked me to write an article on the rifle for Muzzle Blasts. The rifle was featured on the cover of the July 1993 issue and my article on the the rifle is in this issue of the magazine. The rifle was originally built for the late E. H. "Bud" Garrot also a friend of Frank. All in all a very nice rifle built by Frank.. He was truly a gifted gunsmith and could do far more than the wire inlay which he also excelled at. Tim Cosby