Author Topic: Bag Makers?  (Read 4152 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Bag Makers?
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:13:59 PM »
Looking for info on shooting bag makers, ones that use good quality vegetable tanned leathers and who make historically correct bags. I am already aware of Eric Fleisher but am wondering if anyone has a list of others. Needing a new bag for my .36 caliber percussion rifle, 1840s-1850s time period.

Thanks everyone!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Bag Makers?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
I make bags...
do you have a particular style in mind?
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »
Yes I want a rather simple bag on the smaller size, something PC for an 1840-1850s percussion squirrel rifle. I do want it to be made with historically accurate vegetable tan leather and be closely based on original designs.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38:50 AM »
You can't go wrong with either Mr. Fleisher or Mr. Albert.

Cory Joe Stewart

Smoketown

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »
Yes I want a rather simple bag on the smaller size, something PC for an 1840-1850s percussion squirrel rifle. I do want it to be made with historically accurate vegetable tan leather and be closely based on original designs.

What is your persona?

Is ya a gentleman or is ya local folk?

It will have a bearing on what type of bag/pouch you would be carrying.

Just as important would be, what does your rifle look like?

Is it 'fine' sporting rifle or is it a 'squirrel gun'?

To some people, pairing a 'fine' shooting bag to a squirrel rifle is akin to "putting a 50 dollar saddle on a 10 dollar horse."  ::)

Just something to keep in mind if you're around some of those "Hysterical Re-enactor" types.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:09:41 PM »
PM sent...
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »
The above mentioned can deliver what you seek in a big way.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:23:41 AM »

What is your persona?

Is ya a gentleman or is ya local folk?

It will have a bearing on what type of bag/pouch you would be carrying.

Just as important would be, what does your rifle look like?

Is it 'fine' sporting rifle or is it a 'squirrel gun'?

To some people, pairing a 'fine' shooting bag to a squirrel rifle is akin to "putting a 50 dollar saddle on a 10 dollar horse."  ::)

Just something to keep in mind if you're around some of those "Hysterical Re-enactor" types.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

I don't really have a persona as such. I do not do reenacting or living history, I'm just a shooter and occasional hunter.

The rifle is a .36 caliber percussion "squirrel rifle", not particularly fancy but does have a decent maple stock on it. It is set to be delivered to me in a week or two, but I don't have a bag. It does have a grease hole in the stock and is otherwise pretty plain so I would think it is more like a squirrel rifle that a working man would have used.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:28:54 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Smoketown

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:18 AM »

[/quote]

I don't really have a persona as such. I do not do reenacting or living history, I'm just a shooter and occasional hunter.

The rifle is a .36 caliber percussion "squirrel rifle", not particularly fancy but does have a decent maple stock on it. It is set to be delivered to me in a week or two, but I don't have a bag. It does have a great hole in the stock and is otherwise pretty plain so I would think it is more like a squirrel rifle that a working man would have used.
[/quote]

Cool!!   8)

You made it easy!   

Pick the one that makes YOU the happiest!!   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:07 AM »
Thanks! Just want one that's pretty authentic. I've been talking with some people who seem to know a great deal on the subject!  :)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:32:56 AM »
Smokey

You can't go wrong with Eric Fleisher.I have a couple of his bags and am very pleased.I know he has studied and copied a lot of original bags and would be able to fill your needs.His stuff is top quality for sure!!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
You might want to get a hold of Sligo Bill here in the forum.  I have seen his stuff up close, on the shoulders of my trail walk buddies, at Dixons Faire and on a table and he's very good at what he does. 

This coming from a Cordwainer

Good luck

Capgun

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
I've been making shooting bags and accoutrements for 30+ years,and with Ken Scott giving a post graduate class on pouch making,well,my learned experience can now be had by anyone taking Ken's highly recommend class.

Even though I grew up restoring antique furniture,and made a great career of it,I still listen to others on the subject,just in case I can add to my 50+ years working. NEVER quit learning.

I took Kens class,and am not ashamed to say,I did learn quite a bit,and I also shared some of my tricks too. Not many,but a few.

Anyone who took Kens class should be able to help you. Just ask for detailed pics of their work. I'd be happy to show mine.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!