Author Topic: Muzzle Blast, October, 1970 "A Longrifle of Note"  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
Muzzle Blast, October, 1970 "A Longrifle of Note"
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:05:18 AM »
This is a scan of a rifle I have admired for many years (Since October 1970).  It impressed me enough that I took the Muzzle Blast to work and ran several copies of it on the Xerox machine.  The name on the silver inlay in the top barrel flat is John Coons in capital letters.  The stock architecture reminds me of the Joseph Whitson rifles I have seen (See Bill Ivey's book and Jim Kibler's web site...and the one I built) but the xerox copy is not very good so I am not sure.  The patch box appears to have a screw in the forward end reminiscent of the NC Deep River school and that architecture also seems to fit.  I have searched for information on this rifle but have come up empty.  Does anyone have information or thoughts on this rifle?  Thanks,  Fred
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:51:56 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
Re: Muzzle Blast, October, 1970 "A Longrifle of Note"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:36:30 AM »
OK, so no one is familiar with John Coons as a rifle maker...how about your thoughts on some of the characteristics found on this rifle.  Have you seen a similar side plate or molding line on the butt stock on other makers/schools work?  How about the size, shape, and attachment of the patch box and something that really intrigues me is the relatively flat curve and the very flat heel extension of the butt plate (early rifle characteristics??).  Triggers, trigger guard?  I know that I am asking a lot from a poor 46 year old xerox of a picture in Muzzle Blast but there is a lot of knowledge and talent on this forum.  My hope is that the rifle still exists because I think that it could add to our knowledge of early southern mountain or piedmont rifles.  Maybe someone has an October, 1970, Muzzle Blast and could post a  better picture.     Thanks,  Fred 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:37:25 AM by Burg »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »
Looks like a Rowan Co. NC gun to me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
I feel pretty sure George covered another gun that was extremely similar maybe sometime in the mid-90s in MB but unfortunately I can't remember the issue or year.  I'll have to go look and see if I still have a copy; I haven't saved 25 years worth of magazines but I have saved many of his 'Longrifles...' articles if the piece was interesting to me.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »
I owned two of the Whitson rifles and still have one of them. This does not even resemble a Whitson rifle.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »
Y'all do know that all of Shumway's articles have been published in book form, right? No need to rely on xeroxed copies.

Definitely looks like an NC rifle to me. Michael Briggs had a rifle or two with that flat heel extension on display at the Knoxville KRA show a month back.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline AZshot

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 03:04:13 AM »
Old thread but I bring up an image problem I've had since joining.  MANY older threads don't show the image, just a big blank spot where it was/is.  Can anyone tell me if THEY see the image on this thread?  90% of the older threads with pictures just show "502 error" or a blank. 

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 03:09:23 AM »
No pic.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 04:49:10 AM »
Jerry Noble's and Tom Moore's compendium on American gunsmiths titled "Gun Trade in America" has a listing for: Jacob, John, Henry and Napolean Koons/Coons working at Harpers Ferry, WV in 1822 to 1850. Maybe this "John" is our guy.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:53:13 AM by Tanselman »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 04:56:06 AM »
I fixed the picture issue. Moderators cannot review and fix every post from the past as a scheduled task. But we are happy to try to restore images on request. Let us know. We’ll try. In some cases the images were hosted in a spot no longer available.
Andover, Vermont

Offline AZshot

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »
Thanks for doing that, and explaining that it's not something on my end.