Author Topic: Reilly 16 Bore Maharajah Rifle  (Read 4378 times)

larrydavid

Reilly 16 Bore Maharajah Rifle
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:05:23 AM »
These photos are of an E.M. Reilly 16 Bore muzzleloading rifle built for an Indian Maharajah. It was owned by a friend of mine many years ago when I took the pictures. The barrel has a lot of engraving on it and
all of the other metal parts including accessories are gold plated. This would make a great gun to build since it has wire inlay, carving and classic lines. Can 16 bore barrels and other related parts be bought
easily?

Offline Longknife

Re: Reilly 16 Bore Maharajah Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 01:04:47 AM »
Larrydavid, Track of thec wolf has an english rifle kit that is nearly identical to this but only offered up to 20 bore. there are many barrel makers who could make you a 16 bore barrel though, Getz and Rayl are recommended.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(44wlgv45m21jt5ignmtjhy45))/categories/gunKit.aspx?catId=13&subId=80&styleId=1119&partNum=KIT-ENGLISH-SPORTING-JAEGER-SWAMP
Ed Hamberg

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:17:12 AM »
This would make a great gun to build since it has wire inlay, carving and classic lines.
The lines are the only thing that are classic about it.  The carving, wire, and inlays make it garish and indulgent.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

larrydavid

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:31:35 AM »
TOF,

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I would certainly not put the wire inlay on it when I build it. That, and the brass on the mahogany case were done in India. I have seen a beautiful Alexander Henry double rifle built as a gift from one maharajah to another that has a diamond front sight. If you could see the Reilly in person I think that you would have a different opinion of it. Ignoring the wire inlay, the engraving on the barrel and lock were done in England and is superb. This rifle was built to the highest level. Even the bullet mould has a lot of engraving on it. The rifle was sold by a friend of mine over 20 years ago for $10,000.00. The Indian maharajahs collected large armories of British shotguns and rifles as a kind of status symbol. My brother has a Holland & Holland .450 double rifle built for the Nizzam of Hyderabad that is covered with game scene engraving. Holland and Holland in their museum have a pair of 10 bore rifles built for the same man with the identical engraving on it. Money was no object to them. If you ignore some of the strange wire inlays and gold inlays installed in India (they were actually rare) you will appreciate that they ONLY bought the best. I will put some pictures up later of a .60 caliber 4 groove muzzleloading rifle built for the Maharajah of Balrampure that has an adjustable sight on it that goes out to 1000 yards! I bought it a few years ago from a friend in Australia.

Larry

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »
"It's good to be king!" (Mel Brooks)  Garish and indulgent have been the market and cultural norms in that part of the world since at least the 1700's and possibly before.     

northmn

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
Dpharsis has a 16 bore that he made.  You may want to contact him through the sites message board.  I like the case and think that that is why many were made halfstock with hooked breech.  To accomodate travel and fit in cases.

DP