Author Topic: the right load question  (Read 3106 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
the right load question
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
There's another post here about ball, patch and bore combinations with a lot of good stuff in it.  It raised a question that I have never had answered;

In the 1970's, when I first started, I had heard multiple times that the right combination is reached when you get a group that makes you nod approval and confirmed when your rifle cracks like a whip rather than bangs like a musket.   At the Old Saratoga Muzzleloading club rendezvouses, the firing line was a wide open area between the camp and the cannon competition.  Several of us with new guns would  take off the earplugs and touch off one or two shots as if verifying the gun.  Then the ear plugs would go back in for the obvious safety reason.

To this day I do that, and, if focused, I can dust the poker chips and chalk like the next guy once my guin is sighted in.

The question I have is this...

Where did that notion come from and does anybody else still do it or did my brief ( 15 year) absence whilst coddling Cowboy Action change that perception, making me one more step toward aging away from reality?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: the right load question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
  Capgun the only thing that's ever mattered to me. Is a clover leaf or less at the bullseye.
  Never played much attention to the sound of the shot. Unless it was a slow or hang fire.
  That all changed after a friend showed me what a really fine tuned flintlock could an should do.
  That was the big eye opener for me...Just my thoughts...Oldtravler

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
For me sounds vary some times according to conditions but a tight one hole group looks the same regardless.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
The only thing that the "crack" signifies is that the velocity exceeds the speed of sound.  High velocity does not always transfer to high accuracy.  Guns firing lead bullets, such as long range rifles, seldom exceed the speed of sound and they shoot MOA out to 1000 yards.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

rimfire

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »
I remember the old Dixie catalog mentioned increasing the charge until the rifle cracked. Was never sure why it mattered.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »
Considering the speed of sound is ONLY, roughly 1,080fps - achieving that velocity is no big deal.

Back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and even today, there are still a lot of "old wives tales" that keep resurfacing, over and over.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 12:52:29 AM »
I've heard this old saw for decades and still think it's idiotic.  I try and get the most accurate load and couldn't care less what the sound might be; it's going to go "BANG", anyway.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »
Even in doing it I thought it mostly a wives tale ( dunno about idiotic) but it seems like fun.  I wonder how much of the notion came from an era when calipers, decimals and measurement were replaced by getting your hands on whatever cloth was available at the moment?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 02:23:35 AM »
Even in doing it I thought it mostly a wives tale ( dunno about idiotic) but it seems like fun.  I wonder how much of the notion came from an era when calipers, decimals and measurement were replaced by getting your hands on whatever cloth was available at the moment?

Good point - I remember trying, possibly dozens of fabrics back in the 'early' days, some worked, some did not. Some worked that I was sure would not, that being some linen that I thought was too thin - turned out not to be the case as far as accuracy was concerned, however it did not shoot at cleanly as thicker denim.

"Back in the day" all they had was 'natural' fiber cloth - and I suspect there were few indeed 'thinly woven' cloths available to the average man. Undersized balls and either thicker cloth or even animal skins would have had to suffice for most.

We are indeed, so fortunate in having so many good materials "At Hand", I have a hard time understanding why some people today want to hamper or reduce their capacity to be successful, by not taking advantage of what technology and a LOT of experimentation with good materials lends us.   
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 02:59:48 AM »
There might be an expectations gap between some shooters. Some shooters have seen how well a good barrel/combo will shoot and expect more of the same where as some have never had a rifle that would shoot those real tight groups and those shooters have come to think that is the norm and don't expect any more. It's somewhat the same with bullet performance, alot of shooters think the long for cal. bullet is the only way to go but they nave never seen how effective a lead round ball can be if placed right.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 01:05:36 AM »
There might be an expectations gap between some shooters. Some shooters have seen how well a good barrel/combo will shoot and expect more of the same where as some have never had a rifle that would shoot those real tight groups and those shooters have come to think that is the norm and don't expect any more. It's somewhat the same with bullet performance, alot of shooters think the long for cal. bullet is the only way to go but they nave never seen how effective a lead round ball can be if placed right.

AMEN!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.