Author Topic: Broken Tumbler  (Read 3115 times)

Oobleck

Broken Tumbler
« on: October 02, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »
Model: Pedersoli SxS 12 ga

Not sure what the cause was, but my left hammer started acting up and with both hammers fully back I shot the right side which caused the left to go to half cock, then barely touching the left trigger it touched off. (After this I also learned I should train leaving one side half cocked until ready to fire)

Operated fine in hand just needed to be cleaned up. Tore it apart, not having mainspring vices you guessed it (I ordered them after the fact). Upon further disassembly of the tumbler I came across the edge being chipped (pictured below). Also my trigger spring for the right side is broken.

My best conclusion is the worn out tumbler was the culprit due to the safety notch failing and unable to full cock the hammer.

I contacted Pedersoli for procuring parts since I haven't found any matches from TOOW and Dixie. If they are unable to help, who would be my best avenue to get my upland gun singing again? I've seen other parts of the internet suggest buying a better lock to swap in- but I'm very inexperienced in metal and wood working nor do I posses the minimum tools to do so.

Respectfully

Ooblek

images shares

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Broken Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
That full cock notch could be salvaged by annealing, re-shaping, and re- hardening and re- tempering.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 04:49:22 PM »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »

Not sure what the cause was, but my left hammer started acting up and with both hammers fully back I shot the right side which caused the left to go to half cock, then barely touching the left trigger it touched off. (After this I also learned I should train leaving one side half cocked until ready to fire)

Operated fine in hand just needed to be cleaned up. Tore it apart, not having mainspring vices you guessed it (I ordered them after the fact). Upon further disassembly of the tumbler I came across the edge being chipped (pictured below). Also my trigger spring for the right side is broken.

My best conclusion is the worn out tumbler was the culprit due to the safety notch failing and unable to full cock the hammer.

I contacted Pedersoli for procuring parts since I haven't found any matches from TOOW and Dixie. If they are unable to help, who would be my best avenue to get my upland gun singing again? I've seen other parts of the internet suggest buying a better lock to swap in- but I'm very inexperienced in metal and wood working nor do I posses the minimum tools to do so.

Respectfully

Ooblek

images shares

Those pictures show parts that look like they were cast from cement.

Bob Roller

Respectfully

Ooblek

images shares

Lee44shootercnb

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:40:54 PM by Lee44shootercnb »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »
These locks are a few dollars more than the caplocks I sometimes make.
I guess the cost of "grappa" has gone up in Val Trompia.

Bob Roller

Oobleck

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help!

I did see them at first and Pedersoli Customer Support reached back to recommend them and http://www.flintlocksetc.com/. Worst case I'm out $200 on the assembly versus the tumbler.

What frustrates me more is my inability to craft parts and fix a firearm that people crafted by hand tools. It's not an engine that needs to get milled to thousandths of an inch . I'm starting to learn the real cost of living in an apartment- no room for shop setup and mine has very thin walls as is. Until then I'm that guy who funds their kid's college to have things fixed  :o

Ooblek
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:08:18 PM by Oobleck »

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
“These locks are a few dollars more than the caplocks I sometimes make.
I guess the cost of "grappa" has gone up in Val Trompia.”

where NOSTALGIA meets NOUVEAU