Author Topic: Camp Knife  (Read 2681 times)

gizamo

Camp Knife
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
Finished a new Camp Knife. It's forged 1095 3/16 high carbon steel. . The scales are walnut with two brass pins. 10 inches overall with a up swept 5.25" blade. Measures 1.75 inches at the belly. Convex grind.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Re: Camp Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »
Pretty interesting and looking well crafted.  I like the size because I never carried a large knife into the woods.

What made you want that blade profile?

Using the beauty here  below as a model, with it's four inch blade,  I just made a leuku like it with a bone cap at the butt because the grip felt so good and easy to handle as a camp and patch knife.

image storage api

Mine is not as nicely made as yours or this one, though.  I keep it sheathed on the hunting bag, but have no idea how many of them made it to the colonies because documentation seems scarce.

Thanks for posting

The Capgun Kid

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
So what makes this a "camp knife?" I would have pictured a camp knife as big cleaver type for splitting kindling, butchering game, etc. The kind of knife that you leave back at the camp when out walking in the woods....
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

gizamo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:06:40 AM »
To me....

A good camp knife is equally adept at food prep and fire prep. The knife should be able to reduce  wood to kindling and firestarter.. and stay sharp for slicing and dicing. Should be comfortable in the hand.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:16:26 AM »
Nicely done gizamo - that would make a good deer skinner.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
Gizamo..."To me....

A good camp knife is equally adept at food prep and fire prep. The knife should be able to reduce  wood to kindling and firestarter.. and stay sharp for slicing and dicing. Should be comfortable in the hand."

Yup.   You can get even a mouse tomahawk to do more heavy work, but a good camp knife goes a long way.

Part of the fun in trekking was getting lighter and more compact with my possibles.  Good post

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid