Author Topic: Load Starting Point  (Read 2723 times)

Stonedog

Load Starting Point
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:54:18 AM »
I'll be building and hunting with a .54 smooth rifle this fall. Never owned a .54 smoothie and wondered what charge and size powder would be a good starting point?

Gonna shoot shot and ball!

Online okawbow

Re: Load Starting Point
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:39:45 AM »
I start at 1 grain per caliber, (54) and shoot 3 or 5 shot groups, going up 5 grains per group until best accuracy is achieved. I used a snug patch in my smooth rifle for my best groups. You might try an over powder wad and patched ball or bare ball also.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
I just finished a plain Beck rifle in the past two months that is a .54.  I started with 55 grains of 2F swiss, .530 rb and a .022 ticking patch and ironically at 25 yards, it shot a one hole group.  Went up to 60 grains and it opened up a bit.  Of course this is a rifled barrel and not a smoothbore but wanted to give you an idea.  my barrel is a rice beck barrel with a slower twist round bottom rifling.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Silky921

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »
I have a 54 caliber smoothbore with a 48" barrel from Keb. Per his recommendation, I started with 60 grains of 3f, and a PRB with pillow ticking. Was pretty much dead on the first shot, so I was very lucky in that regard.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 10:19:52 PM »
My .54 seems to shoot better than I can with any charge of 60 grains & up.  The states I've lived and hunted in have a minimum powder charge of 50 grains, no grade specified.  They also require a minimum of .45 caliber.  Although this charge wasn't really necessary I did kill a deer with 110 grains of 3F Goex.  That load would really shoot but now I'd use around 60-70 grains.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Much depends on your situation - ranges, size of deer, etc.

As Dphar will acknowledge when in the West, ranges can run to 200yards, rarely closer than 50 yards, unless using a tree stand, in a grove or copse of bush. Thus, lowest trajectory coupled with longer range accuracy is a must.

A .54 or .58 would be a good choice. Larger powder charges and tighter combinations must both be used to achieve this.

I might start around 3 drams (82gr.), but likely would start at 100 2F and go from there.  I suspect something around 120 might serve the best in both accuracy and lowness of trajectory, giving a point blank range of about 135yards, thus a 150 to 200yard shot could be made with little effort, although such practice is necessary.

I sold my .58 SXS as it would not regulate with more than 110gr. of 2F - not enough imho for moose out to 200yards.  The .69 still has that job - if, a ML is used.

Maybe Taylor and I will have a 14 bore hunt this fall?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:28:05 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
I'll be building and hunting with a .54 smooth rifle this fall. Never owned a .54 smoothie and wondered what charge and size powder would be a good starting point?

Gonna shoot shot and ball!

I'm not experienced w shooting shot but recall a starting point of 1/2 the. All weight for powder charge. Works pretty well w my rifles. .395 weighs 92 and I shoot 50, .495 weighs 188 I shoot 90
And .535 weighs 230 and shoots 120 well.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »
I would think 1oz. shot and 70gr. 2f would be about right for as shot load. Track has wads - usually.

With non-choked gun, you might get away with just using thin- over/shot wads. No heavy over powder cards nor cushion wads.

I'd put 2 or 3 over the powder, and one over the shot.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:53:43 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V