Author Topic: Grease/Tallow Hole?  (Read 9832 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Re: Grease/Tallow Hole?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 05:19:34 AM »
It may not stink at first.  After while it will go rancid.  I don't want rancid animal fat soaked into my stock.  If you have second thoughts you could add a real patch box.

Yes I contacted the maker and he hasn't got back to me yet if he already drilled the grease hole. I think he already has but if so, I will see about adding a cap box in it's place. Just seems like a bad idea at this point I have been doing some reading. Also the grade of maple used (above average with some good striping) probably is not HC to have a grease hole.

Not only that, but I am moving to Las Vegas several months from now, something I just learned about not long ago. Seems a grease hole in those sandy conditions would not be good, I can just imagine it picking up sand and me getting it into the bore. Not good.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »
I can't speak to the use of a grease hole, but properly rendered animal fats shouldn't get smelly if they go off. Animal fats mixed with beeswax won't go rancid ever, I'd think.

I have arrows greased with lard that have been sitting around for months now, with no noticeable smell. I greased my rifle with lard and left some of the lard on it for five or six years, and it didn't stink - go red and then turn black, yes. Stink, no. I have a 50:50 mix of home-made tallow, not the best rendered stuff, that has been sitting around unrefrigerated for a decade or more, and it was fine the last time I checked.

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:15 AM »
My tallow smells like the day I rendered it about 4 years ago.  :o

Should I have used calipers?  :P

Hold to the Wind

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »
The rifle I hunt with most often has a  grease hole in the stock. I consider it more decoration than any thing. Just as a full patchbox on one of my Pennsylvania style rifles is considered decoration. A patchbox would certainly help keep sand and grit out of the mix but I fail to see how it would control smell unless it was air tight which I would doubt. Seems to me anything that would soak into the wood in a tallow hole would just as easily soak in under a patchbox lid. I carry my extra lube in a tin in my hunting pouch. I also carry extra greased patches in a tin container. I do use a loading block. May not be historically correct but beats carring extra round balls in my mouth. Do as you please I have looked at a bunch of old rifles with tallow/grease holes non smelled rotten to me. To bad them old boys didn't know what we know.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 07:52:46 AM »
Thanks, gang.

Can anyone tell me what grade of wood would be "too nice" for a grease hole? The maker used a pretty decent piece of curly maple. Did any originals use a grease hole if they had such a stock, or would that type of wood be too "fancy" for the simple grease hole?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
What type of rifle is this? From what area?

Offline little joe

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
If a tallow hole filled with tallow  is so smelly you cannot hunt with it how did the folks in them mountains down there feed there family,s ?

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
Lard and tallow will just make your wood waterproof, kinda. I believe you do have to keep renewing it if you are using them as a wood finish. They are not the same as petroleum greases, though, and I do not believe that they will hurt your stock.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »
If a tallow hole filled with tallow  is so smelly you cannot hunt with it how did the folks in them mountains down there feed there family,s ?

Same way the Indians managed to feed their families with archery equipment waterproofed with tallow and bear grease, I guess.... :o

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks, gang.

Can anyone tell me what grade of wood would be "too nice" for a grease hole? The maker used a pretty decent piece of curly maple. Did any originals use a grease hole if they had such a stock, or would that type of wood be too "fancy" for the simple grease hole?
Appropriate for all grades of wood, don't matter. walnut too.....in fact walnut was probably slightly more common for Appalachia guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
Thanks, gang.

Appropriate for all grades of wood, don't matter. walnut too.....in fact walnut was probably slightly more common for Appalachia guns.

I see, thank you. I am pleased to hear this. The rifle is a .36 caliber percussion being made in the style of what I have read to be a "southern mountain" or simple "Tennessee" style rifle. Full stock, maple, browned iron mountings & browned barrel/lock, 38" barrel, single trigger (not single set), no extra decoration. A straightforward gun with no carvings or inlays etc.

If a grease hole is historically correct then I won't worry about it. Thank you all for the help, this is my first custom muzzleloader and I am pretty new to all of this.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 02:42:55 AM »
A Southern Mountain rifle?  You're fine with a grease hole. Definitely historically correct.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 04:20:59 AM »
You can always have the hole (looks cool, is correct), but leave it empty. 

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 05:18:29 AM »
Guys,

Here is a photo of an original mountain rifle with a grease hole.  I think that the wood is cherry.  There is some original or period grease in the hole, it appears to be the color of dark bees wax and is as hard as a rock - now, that is, it probably was softer many years ago.  There is no evidence of softer greases or oils soaking into the wood, or the wood would show some sort of stain.  I assume that the rifle grease hole was always filled with some rather hard grease.

Jim

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:33:04 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks, gang.

Here is an early rifle with curly maple and grease hole http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14832.0
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
Over the years I have seen several guns that were originally built with economy in mind, but sported fancy wood. One was a Pennsylvania barn gun, with tightly striped piece of sugar maple for a stock, but,  was too plain for even a grease hole. The other was an iron mounted mountain rifle built in Arkansas that somebody "upgraded" by screwing a cap box over the original grease hole. The wood on this gun would be hard to identify, but it was gorgeous.

Hungry Horse

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2017, 12:43:49 AM »
Thanks, gang.

Here is an early rifle with curly maple and grease hole http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14832.0

I see, excellent. It appears my rifle will be fairly faithful to the originals, of which I am very glad as I thought I had "goofed" the order with my specifications.

This is my first custom rifle and I am incredible excited to get it. Should be ready any day now. I am busy gathering supplies and stopped into Hobby Lobby today to look at cloth for patches. Thanks to all who helped me with this question, you are all a great wealth of information and I enjoy it here.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2017, 03:43:26 AM »
 First longrifle I built was patterned after an original owners by Danial Boone. It has a grease hole. Never bothered him. Built the gun in 1983 an I use grease in it still. No problems.   Oldtravler

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
I gave up on all things like that years ago. I use loading boards now. When i'm hunting I like to reload as fast as possible.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
I just dropped cable wax in one of my old rifles that's hanging on the wall. As for the gun I use, I've found that petroleum base lines seem to migrate into, and stain, the wood. So I use real tallow that I rendered myself with no additives.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320