Author Topic: Test, gun oils and lubes, preservatives  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Marcruger

Test, gun oils and lubes, preservatives
« on: May 27, 2017, 04:21:11 AM »
Hi Folks, 

I found the article and test linked here to be very informative. 

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation

The gentleman did a very large, thorough and unbiased job from what I can tell. 

You can pick the properties that are important to you and search the top products from there. 

I will say that time can cause issues with lubes.  One top rated one on here, Frog Lube,  has proven to become sticky over time for some folks using it as a lube.  The classic situation is the old Three-In-One oil.  Over time it sets up like epoxy. 

As I noted before, be careful in mixing lubes.  I discovered that Hoppe's No9 and Tetra Lube grease combine to make an orange contact cement like problem! 

I hope this helps.   Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Test, gun oils and lubes, preservatives
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 04:41:10 AM »
Looks like an interesting study. I wonder how each of those products performs when left in the gun bore and then the gun is loaded and fired? I have been using WD40 for a long time and the first shot out of a treated with WD40 barrel or an untreated one has always been to the same poi for both. Only actual test will probably tell.

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Someone has WAY too much time on their hands.  An "objective study" will have a lot of people who disagree with the conclusions based on nothing but their subjective conclusions.  But if looking at 46 different products makes your socks go up and down, have at it.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:43:54 PM »
Quess you can get some idea on how they work but to use it yourself and come to your own conclusions works best for me.I had folks say this or that works for them but found not so much for me.Different expectations, not quite using it the same way,ect.probably plays into it but you would figure most of this stuff has simaler properties.Find something that works for you and stick with it

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:05:01 PM »
Not sure it this is the same test or not, but one test I found quite interesting, was that new or old Hoppe's #9 smokeless powder solvent was a MUCH better rust preventative than Hoppe's Gun Oil.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:05:16 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
I normally take these tests with a grain of salt.  So many of these protectants seem to work just fine for too many shooters for there to be any definitive winners.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
I agree. The tests are torture tests that we wouldn't put our guns through.