Author Topic: Horn I found  (Read 3308 times)

Offline J.Karl

• Starting Member
Horn I found
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »
Found this in an antique store in Little Rock and paid next to nothing.  My first instinct was patch it up and use it but I'm having second thoughts. The plug wood is almost like a foam, don't know if it's from the type of wood, age, or both, with a screw in the middle. It shows a lot of use with a wear spot in the middle from rubbing.  At some point an insect made a home in it and ate his way out. I dont know much about horns, so I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some insight as to how old they think it is.

free temporary image hosting

free image hosting websites

upload a photo on internet

image upload

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Horn I found
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
Because of the style I would say 1800s.  But it is tough to say. But it is certainly an old neat horn.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline J.Karl

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
Thanks for the response Corey Joe. it's got alot of character from a life of hard use, guess that's what drew me to it.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
 Very hard to date and especially put a location on horns like this, I think Cory has it, could have also been into the early 20C. Looks homemade, based on the use of the natural shape of the Butt and the cord attachment at the throat.
 Do you have better Pic of the tip?
 Thanks for posting.

Tim C.

Treebeard

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »

Very similar horn I picked up except it shows no sign a strap was ever attached. I am curious as to how to repair the holes. AccuGlass and tint?

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
These simple utilitarian horns could be from the 1700s to the very end of the muzzleloader. That's what makes them so fascinating and yet hard to date. If it were me, I would not repair a thing.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »
It is old. But as the others said it is impossible to date or state a region of its making.

It would be ideal in a curio cabinet or as a display piece.

Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Treebeard

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
I will take the advice of wiser heads and leave in my display case! I do have a number of contemporary horns so I plenty for actual use.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

Very similar horn I picked up except it shows no sign a strap was ever attached. I am curious as to how to repair the holes. AccuGlass and tint?

Horn filings mixed with epoxy makes an almost invisible repair.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.