Author Topic: Double Bags?  (Read 4420 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Double Bags?
« on: May 30, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »
Hi guys! What are your thoughts on double style shooting bags? I am thinking about getting one and wanted some feedback from those that have used them. I would think of using one of the sections for shooting supplies like a ball bag, caps or flints, and patch material and using the other one to hold cleaning supplies like wiping patches, a rag, tools, etc for servicing the weapon during and after firing.

So who uses one and does it help with keeping things organized?

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Double Bags?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
I did not like the one I made, much preferred a single pouch with a divider in it. I might have made mine too large/deep just too much digging around for what I was looking for.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JPK

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
I tryed one and it didn't work for me. Never seemed to reach into the right part so it got cut up and resewed into a single bag with a internal pouch.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
The longer you shoot, the less you'll carry!

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
I have an 8" wide by 6" high double bag that is pretty much just for squirrel hunting ( or whatever else my .32 flint longrifle asks me to chase after). I find it perfectly up to the task. However, it means that I cannot carry too many items in it. Since the .32 is stingy on powder and lead, a small powder flask carries plenty of powder, and even 20 balls are way more than I would need for a day or two. A "short" short starter. and a powder measure completes the front pouch. In the back are some cleaning patches and a small rag, a few spare flints, some string to make a "stringer" for dead squirrels if it's a good day, 2 steel "S" hooks (great for crossing a fence and avoiding the barbs), and a couple of ramrod accessories. Water and lunch and anything else goes in a separate satchel. But if the urge hits, I can grab a bag and a rifle and be out the door in a hurry.

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:42:41 PM »
I had one and the more you put in it the fatter/thicker it gets.  More than a single pouch with a pocket.  You also have the added thickness of the additional leather.   I sold it.
Brice Stultz

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:26:30 PM »
I have a double bag patterned after an original double bag from Bucks County that Eric Fleisher made for my 14g Bucks County smooth rifle built by Eric Kettenburg.  I keep round ball and patches in the front half of the bag and my shot shooting supplies in the rear compartment.  Works great and keeps me organized.
I also have another smaller double bag made by James Rogers. 
Except for my smooth bores, I see no real advantage to having a double bag.
David

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
Maybe a separate compartment might be better? I'm going to the rondezvous in Fort de Charters in Prairie du Rocher IL this weekend. I know it's a military fort but I'm hoping they've got some shooting bags for sale.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 11:25:23 PM »
The bag I use with my .32 and .36 is a 7" X 6" and serves perfectly.  My other two are slightly larger and are all I need for big game.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:26:45 AM »
I guess they're not for everybody, but double bags seem to have been very common during the muzzleloading era from the amount of surviving ones.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
Did any original single bags have a divider inside?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 05:19:58 AM »

Yes sir they did. There are extant examples and written documentation as well.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:48 AM »

Yes sir they did. There are extant examples and written documentation as well.

Very cool. I am wanting something that has two compartments to keep the shooting and the cleaning supplies separate. Hopefully someone has such a bag at the rondy on Saturday.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
Skillman...The longer you shoot, the less you'll carry!

Yup.

Patience

Also, don't kill yourself looking for convenience.  If it don't load the gun, fix the flint or swab the barrel it's in a different bag on the belt.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid,

The Capgun Kid

Offline J Henry

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
 I found out ,if I make it,I will fill it.Small makes me be more selective.that said I would build one and see how it goes.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 02:24:51 AM »
DBL bags were common in the later percussion period. I use them for my later guns,1850-70.

For some reason,the smaller bore guns like the doubles. But,they don't sell well. I'll sell 25 of my pouches to every one double. And they always want them bigger. I like my smaller doubles for Squirrel hunting and "goofing" around.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!