Author Topic: Interesting Carving  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Interesting Carving
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »
Found this while looking for something else. Lancaster with fish or dragon behind cheek piece.
https://jamesdjulia.com/item/2339-358/
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Interesting Carving
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:03:45 PM »
Kind of a Fordney looking piece.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
Like the serpent. Nice folky look.

Does the lock look like a reconversion to flint to you? Does to me. Not trying to disparage the rifle - just trying to learn.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline rlm

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
This rifle probably predates Fordneys work by 15 to 20 years. I don't see the similarities.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:26:08 PM »
I really like the rifle, and the 'folk art' carving is very charming, and well done.  Notice how much barrel side flat is exposed?  Lock looks original to me, but I'm not a Kentucky collector.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
I like the location of the touch hole.  It seems to be higher than the pan and to the rear.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:39:17 PM »
I have seen a few rifles signed with just J D signatures that were attributed to John Demuth.

All were from the same area in PA that Nickolas Hawk worked around Gilbert (architecturally.)

To see an actual signed rifle by Demuth helps to determine that these J D examples were indeed built by Jacob Deemer!
Joel Hall

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:52:29 PM »
Walnut stocked too. Very nice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 11:04:46 PM »

Does the lock look like a reconversion to flint to you? Does to me. Not trying to disparage the rifle - just trying to learn.

Looks a lot like a Siler, doesn't it, but then a Siler is a copy too!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline blienemann

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
I'm wondering what suggests a reconversion here?  Please be specific, as discussion will help us all learn.  Same re connection to Fordney?   

To me, this is what a Siler - or 1790 - 1800 Germanic lock should look like, with the blind tapped frizzen spring, little or no air space behind top jaw screw, V shaped screw slots, simpler lines on frizzen, etc.  The Siler is a fine lock and has fired many rifles over the years, and still used on rifles by many of our best builders today.  To me the Siler looks like a Germanic lock with an English frizzen spring and screw and interesting cock added - may have copied a reconversion back before we learned more?  When folks here argue about not using a Siler (Germanic lock) on southern guns, I always think - Well, it's half German - half right or wrong.  Other half English.

It is hard to tell from photos, but this rifle looks really good to me in all details, including the lock.  If it is a reconversion, the guy really knows his business and it does not take anything away from the rifle - there are a few sharp edges on cock, could be filed up parts, the dirt or texture on plate and pan could disguise work - inside view would help. But sure looks good - what should be there in my view. 

Cool how he fit the sea serpent into the classic large C scroll carving on Lancaster rifles of the period - and kinda makes us think of the earlier Beth - C's Spring rifles with their fanciful creatures carved there.  All details of this rifle fit into that "Lancaster school" ca 1790.  John Demuth was a member of the Moravian congregation at Lancaster, along with Dickert, Peter Ganter, Jacob Haefer - Dickert's brother in law, and quite a few others.  Was a Christoph Demuth earlier, contemporary with Henry and Dickert.  Andreas Albrecht's son Henry Albright carved animals behind cheek about this time, and these folks probably all knew and influenced each other.

Johannes Demuth contracted with Dickert, Gonter, Graeff and others for 1,000 rifles for the US through Knox and Hand in 1792.  I think he moved to MD a few years later and continued to provide contract rifles.  There's an apprentice agreement between him and Henry Koch ca 1796 - quite a bit known about the man and family.  This fine rifle shows that he could build a fine, artistic rifle as well as contract rifles.  I would sure like to see more of his work, and more old rifles that look as good as this one.  And wonder who he learned from?  Bob

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
Blienemann, I first asked about possible reconversion and want to be clear I am not disparaging the rifle. I think it is wonderful. What made me ask the question? Wanting to learn. I sometimes see rifles posted on the site and people will casually say its reconverted but I don't always immediately see it. I want to know what people look for.

1. The lock surface below and particularly immediately left of the pan seems different than the rest of the lock surface. I wondered if it was welded.
2. The touch hole seems to be in very fine shape. No pitting around or wear of the vent.
3. The frizzen looks above  the pivot (in the pic with the frizzen open) hole looks thick, almost brazed.
4. The frizzen appears to be scraping the barrel. Seems like that would have been resolved in its period of use.
5 The hammer seems very crisp, but then so does most of the lock so perhaps that is not a factor.

Thanks for the discussion.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:17:38 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »
The touch hole looks re-bouched (barrel has a touch hole liner).  That would not be so unusual in an original flintlock but re-conversions also look this way due to the drum being replaced with a iron touchhole liner.

It's a beauty of a lock. If not original it was so well reconverted that it's as good as original.

So far as looking like a Fordney, both are post war Lancaster flintlocks so share some architecture I suppose. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »

Fairly obvious conversion. Siler parts, plugged drum hole, chlorate pitting (its not the same a BP fouling).
What to look for is the chlorate pitting at the breech. The stuff forms what is basically table salt as the fouling. It will actually break down iron at the molecular level and can do it with little visible "rust" sometimes. Eating away quite a lot of iron in come cases. This is one clue. Sloppy conversion work, obviously modern parts. Large numbers of conversions use Siler parts modified of not. I suspect that some rifles that were originally percussion have been converted as well.
So, Siler parts or other parts from modern locks, vent in a plug, chlorate pits..... All indicate a conversion. I have seen "flintlocks" with severe chlorate erosion that outlines the drum location and so much iron is gone that there is no way to hide the damage. Used for a LONG time as a percussion and perhaps not well cared for. So then we ask. Was this a relief carved rifle that was always percussion or not?  I think this corrosion is the reason some guns show shortening at the breech of 2-4 inches some times.
We also have to be aware that locks were sometimes removed to prevent the kids from "shooting the old thing" when relegated to a toy. Thus a restoration may require a complete lock replacement, in this case modern parts are virtually the only hope. I know of a JP Beck in a museum that desperately needs a lock replacement since the lock in place now is a replacement and does not properly fit the mortise.
So we have to think pretty hard sometimes..... remembering that many of thses rifles were in use well into the cartridge era and even into the 20th c. in some cases.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
I really like the rifle, and the 'folk art' carving is very charming, and well done.  Notice how much barrel side flat is exposed?  Lock looks original to me, but I'm not a Kentucky collector.

Its just not possible to determine from a photo. Since Siler used a Germanic lock for a pattern its going to look like a Siler. But my the early 1830s percussion conversions were being advertised in newspapers at least as far west as St Louis.  This one is not as pitted as it could be with much use as a percussion so its possible its original. But the vent is really sharp and the frizzen just a little too new.
I am no expert either. But I know that a LOT of rifles have been converted to flint and its pretty obvious in many cases. Less so in others. Given the rarity of liners this large in original Kentuckys I vote for conversion.
You are right this is a VERY nice and in interesting rifle and it would be nice to have more photos without the logo....
Dan

Offline blienemann

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
Robert – great questions leading to a good conversation. 
•   Yes, the gunk or texture below and behind pan could disguise work there.  Might also be oil and dirt that accumulate in low traffic areas.  If a reconversion, this is a reasonable way to hide a weld, braze, solder or other work.  This style of lock rarely is engraved, so we can’t tell if the engraving was filed away or impacted, and cannot compare engraving on old and new parts – that’s a clue on English import locks.
•   Touchhole is clean, and there might be a plug there – from a drum, or not.  I have been surprised to see recently such a “plug” on an Oerter rifle in original flint that did not see much use, and two more original flint rifles of that early period.  An iron plug was installed (coned inside or ?) and touchhole drilled through it, off center.  Possibly when the rifle was initially stocked?  Why?  There is more to learn here.
•   Are you saying the foot of frizzen is heavy/thick?  Old locks – especially trade rifles for the mountains, J J Henry rifles and similar often have heavy frizzens – almost military in style, and for the same reasons – minimal care and good service in a tough environment.  We have so few known original locks to study.  If I missed your meaning, sorry.
•   Frizzen scraping barrel – good point.  Might be as you suggest, or rifle has been retired for 100 years and someone just now playing around with it, scraping old gunk off.   Good eye.
•   Hammer – you mean the cock is very crisp?  In those days the hammer was our modern frizzen.  Yes, that’s what jumps out at me.  Would like it better if edges more worn, seem to be file marks inside curve, on top jaw screw.  But screws look good, and sear spring screw is in a different location than Siler and modern locks.

Dan – I always respect your posts.  And thank you for the original post and link.  I like your second reply here better than first - that we can’t learn too much from a single outside photo.  I don’t see it as an obvious reconversion, nor do I see obvious Siler parts.  Maybe the pan?  Maybe the cock but I don’t think so, having used and modified plenty of these myself to make a Siler look more like an old lock.  The frizzen with heavy foot, frizzen spring, plate are not Siler, nor anything else I recognize.  The barrel texture does not show much use in percussion – nor does the wood around the breech.  I note some muddy color above and forward of the lock – may be some wood replaced there.

Like Rich states, it’s a good job, and if modified, at least the guy knew what an old lock should look like, plus barrel at breech, etc.  The rest of the rifle looks good.  IF this was an 1830 rifle, we could worry about turning a cap gun into flint – but this is clearly a 1790 plus or minus a few years rifle, way before anyone was thinking of cap guns.  And not excessively worn or beat up, so it’s possible it was retired as a flint rifle – possible. 

As contemporary builders, if we want to build a replica of this period of rifle and a believable lock, we would do well to follow the style of this one – including no engraving.

I appreciate all points and questions.  Often on this site someone will post a “I don’t believe it” kind of post with no backup.   These good questions and arguments help us learn – and sure wish there were more known original flint locks to look at.  I save all photos of locks that look good as a library, and study any old guns when possible.  So few are real.  Does anyone know who bought this rifle, what it sold for, who has it?  They might tell us what they know.

Until then, more rifles and locks like this one, please.  I guess I also like to see a fine rifle by a very good, and prolific maker who is not well known.  If this had Dickert on the barrel, I’d be even more careful about details, assuming the name would have encouraged more work to raise its value.

Thanks for points and counterpoints - Bob

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 02:43:06 AM »
Bob - thanks for the discussion. Great stuff. It would be wonderful to have the rifle in hand to investigate. But, I'm glad we have the photo's. A wonderful piece.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline rlm

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 05:20:35 AM »
This rifle sold for 10,600 and change in March of 2014. Don't  have a clue  who bought it.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
I looked at it closer and had to change a few thoughts. Your post changed some more.... Siler created a great Germanic lock so its easy to see something as Siler at first glance. It is entirely possible the vent was lined an then the rifle retired. I don't see much chlorate pits so..... Chlorates are really nasty on iron/steel, what makes the chlorate "replica" power so damaging, that its almost impossible to keep it from eating the metal. So if it has no apparent chlorate pitting then it was not percussion of it was not used much, or it was wiped clean after every shot, just the dwell time of a days hunt or rifle match in any significant humidity will have the stuff eating the iron.
The lack of wear on the frizzen shows it could have been replaced with the vent and then the rifle not used much. ??
So you are telling me if I want to fool you, to create fake a Siler frizzen I fire up the welder and reshape the foot and other parts then rust the heck out of them? You get my meaning here I think. So far as welding on old iron. HUGE PITA. If it melts it "fizzes". Yeah I have welded on 1860s era iron to repair damage and the stuff is HORRIBLE. Even with a TIG. It can be done but its not easy and not easy to hide.

Good chance the rifle was never converted. But if it wasn't it was likely retired by 1840. Hard to tell without much closer inspection and maybe not then. Stick the frizzen or the cock it in a machine that will give the alloy? I wonder if the bore is near new too. Wonder if is one that Dillion or Cline reworked back in the early 20th c? Cline was boring and rifling old rifles to make them shoot better, lining a very would be needed too.
There is so much in the way of reconverted or even converted to flint guns out there that I tend to be pretty cynical. This carries on to almost anything collectible from any era. There are fake, collectible 20th c US ceramics made in Asia that can only be told by small errors in the way the piece's mould in name etc is shaped or placed...... I saw some of this stuff sold at auction last winter, for too much, on the table with some real stuff....  So I am pretty cynical anymore. $#*! someone sold one of my rifles as an antique after it was used and let rust for awhile. I also have learned to not EVER modify ANY collectible  piece into something its was not originally. SOMEONE down the road will use it to defraud someone if its got no paper trail. So yeah I made a fake, unknowingly, by taking off a sling mount on a rifle action I rebarreled for my own use, basically to see if I could I guess and then was badgered over several months into selling by a collector when he saw it. There is no factory record on this model...... I bet when he sold it and/or when he put on some parts he may have had, he never told anyone it was modified. I screwed up and made it into a rarer version.... So I am far more careful today and cynical....
This is why I don't like "antiquing" items. I have seen this lead people to the "dark side" and its been going on for so long now stuff with 100 years of "provenance" can be fake, engraved powder horns for example....

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »

Fairly obvious conversion. Siler parts, plugged drum hole, chlorate pitting (its not the same a BP fouling).

Dan

So Dan, First you condemned the heck out of the rifle, and now you've changed your mind! Brilliant!

And that dear sir, is the problem with guys like you talking about things you don't know much about!

Sorry to be rude, but maybe learn what you're talking about before you start stating 'facts'!

John
John Robbins

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 12:34:46 AM »
Very nice rifle and quite interesting.  It's unfortunate that these days many (if not most) of us approach almost everything with immediate suspicion, and often rightfully so.

It's also unfortunate that much of Sirkin's collection has left a very, very bad taste in most folks' mouths.

Now if you don't mind, I'll belly-flop on in the discussion and say that I would want to personally examine this lock first hand as well as remove it and examine the inside, and particularly examine the mortise and surrounding wood, and I'll leave it at that.

Otherwise it's really an exceptional piece.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 02:09:43 AM »
I agree with Eric, need to have it in hand to make the right call. Looks like a good rifle.

Buck

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
For the reason John pointed out above, I seldom post any pictures of my rifles on ALR anymore. There are relatively inexperienced participants online who are very quick to post criticism, and nonsense can thus become part of the "permanent record" about a gun. As Eric and Buck point out, there is no substitute for a hands on study and then it helps to have examined many.
Wayne Elliott

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 06:44:20 AM »
Collectors, the moderators are working on the topic of "risk" both in the Gun Building and in the Antique Collecting forum.

This topic has pretty much run its course as far as discussing this particular rifle, unless somebody has something to add about this rifle, who may have made it, when it was likely made, what other originals have similar features, etc.

See what I did there?  I asked for specific comments.

Most of the problems posters of their own builds or own originals have are 1) the result of the O.P. not stating what they want in responses and 2) responders offering unsolicited critique and 3) bland, uninformative responses like "nice gun".

If anyone posting their work or an original does not want critique they should say so.
Those responding in a thread should not offer unsolicited critique.  If the original post does not say, "what do you think of this?" then critique should not be offered.

Responders should keep in mind that their comments can affect the market value of folks' builds or collectible originals.  You do not know whether even an anonymous original you are posting on is owned by a member or not.  Even an auction piece could be owned by one of "us".

Try asking for specific discussion when you post your collectible antique or new build.  If you post something you found out there "on the internets" keep in mind it belongs or belonged to somebody or was built by somebody.  Even if not one of us, somebody.  Maybe somebody like you.

These are some ideas, not laws.  We want the forum to promote useful and productive discussion. 

As I said, we are working on some text with recommendations on how to post and how to respond, but common sense and courtesy work most of the time, and should work all the time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:48:43 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »

Dan

So Dan, First you condemned the heck out of the rifle, and now you've changed your mind! Brilliant!

And that dear sir, is the problem with guys like you talking about things you don't know much about!

Sorry to be rude, but maybe learn what you're talking about before you start stating 'facts'!

John

I looked closer. Initially I looked at the liner, which is the right size for a MODERN drumn or old one,  some old drums had very small shanks, I figured conversion, then the frizzen is new or !@*%&@ close too it and shows no sign of being faced, the vent is almost like new so if its original FL not used much OR the frizzen was replaced and the liner installed then NEVER USED. Why would this be? We don't even KNOW thats the original lock for the rifle so far as that goes.  I think the liner is pretty !@*%&@ big to be a liner from the time IMO, MY OPINION. But there are not set rules for this either so????? I am sure it impinges on the breechplug. I can't see a smith making one this large unless he lacks the tools to make one smaller, like 1/4" diameter. But ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
NOBODY here KNOWS if this rifle even has the original lock, if it was ever percussion and was converted and if the liner is a liner installed in the 18th or 19th C. or in a 20th as a conversion, WE ARE ALL GUESSING. Its ALL supposition. What if we pull the lock and the internals so no use? IF IF IF. "If the Queen had balls we would not need a King".
There are VERY skilled "converters" out there so it could STILL be a conversion from 2012. A couple of years a go some gurus here were telling us that liners were not used back in the day. This is obviously wrong since they even lined (bushed) vents on cannon. So so did you give THEM $#@*?
Someone wanted to learn. I passed on my observations based on both MLs and BLs, old or new, used with caps or propellants that form table salt fouling.
I read stuff here that is LAUGHABLE. I have seen a link to an OBVIOUS fake. Did I say so? No. First off I would get flamed. Second its not polite. Am I perfect? Nope. Just like you, being a human I am likely to screw up at some level at anytime.
So fess up, are you all panty wadded over the comments on it being converted or about my comments on fakes and fooling people with a welder and some file work?
Dan

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
Because this discussion has turned personal this thread is being locked.
Andover, Vermont