Author Topic: Mike's Operations  (Read 19580 times)

Offline PPatch

Mike's Operations
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
No. 356, and looking good Mike! Looks like you only have about 44 more to build before you can go fishing.  :D

Take me with you...

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Mike's Operations
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »
No. 356, and looking good Mike! Looks like you only have about 44 more to build before you can go fishing.  :D

Take me with you...

dave
I have two shoulder surgeries to get through this year before I do much of anything else...even fishing. ??? Got one on the bench I'm trying to finish up before the 15th...going to be close!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Off topic but hopefully you have an excellent surgeon. Wish u a fast recovery!! Don't over do thing's for awhile after.   Oldtravler

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »
Off topic but hopefully you have an excellent surgeon. Wish u a fast recovery!! Don't over do thing's for awhile after.   Oldtravler

I am off topic as well (since Mike is a gun builder this fits into the gunbuilder forum) but I have seen too many of my friends that DID NOT listen to the Dr because they felt like they could do things he said they should not do. They are paying the price for their disobedience! We are too old, too fragile to spend that much money and time then not follow instructions!
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:54:51 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
You guys are as bad as everybody I know here at home....looks like no fun for sure now.... :P Yea, I'll do as the Doc says as I'm not going to go through all of this with out being 100% cured in the end.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:29:50 AM »
Hi Mike,
Beautiful gun and best of luck healing.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 01:59:34 AM »
They put screws and a brad whatever that is in my left shoulder back in 2008. Took a while to get over that an the rehab was no fun at all. Im pretty much good to go now except I still cant do much with it when I try anything over my head such as raise the shop doors where I work. I hope yours goes mucho better. Good luck Mike
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 02:49:52 AM »
I want Mike's operations to go well, so he will add me to his backorder list!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 03:21:52 AM »
Oh man, surgery, and two of them. Sorry to hear that Mike. My best to you for complete success! I underwent back surgery a couple of years ago and I'm about 98.5 percent the way I was before the injury, which is good in my opinion and life is much better without the pain. The healing takes longer than you might believe, you just have to allow your body time to nit itself back together - there is no getting around that.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 06:53:36 AM »
Mike, I had rotator cuff/bicep tendon re-attachement surgery in March and am coming along very well.  In physio now, doing my homework exercieses and obeying the doc tor and therapist to the letter.  By this fall, I will be able to draw my longbow again, for a full season indoors.  Man, am I ever looking forward to doing that - without pain!  So I wish you a full recovery.  The hardest part has been to not get involved in things that I know will wreck the fix.  But my friends have been understanding and don't let me screw things up.  You do the same.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
I have two appointments next week. One with the Doc that's doing the work to fill me in on the final details....I have a few questions for him. He wants to snip one of the bicep tendons (I'm not sure exactly why yet) and I have the choice of letting it dandle unattached  or screwing it down on the front side of the ball joint. Leaving it unattached will leave me with an odd looking bicep muscle.... :o I'm wanting to screw it down, seems to make sense to me, just one of the things I need to find out about.
 Second appointment is to test me for nicotine, yes they insisted I stop smoking before they would operate on me. I only smoke one cigar a day during nice weather, not at all when It's cold outside. They seem shocked I already stopped smoking and didn't have any problems doing so. I explained I smoke cigars because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to. ::) I think it's some sort of evil plot against stogies.... ;)
 Anyway, thanks for all of your concern, it really means something to me. They tell me since recovery time is around three months my tendonitis in my hands/wrists/forearms will have time to heal up....I'm looking forward to that. Doc says I've worn myself out... ???

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
So far no surgery for me but blood tests show high triglycerides (what ever THAT is).
I got a prescription for something that was supposed to lower them and it killed my sense of taste
and after taking 25 of them I tossed them out and modified my eating. No more pig meat of any kind
and more fruits and vegetables.Food still tastes odd and if this is a permanent condition I will consider
legal action against the maker of this stuff and the pharmacy that should have given me a list of known side effects.
Being cut on is different that getting poisoned so pay attention to the surgeons advice and heal up ASAP.
I smoked for 20 years and when we got engaged I laid them down and had no problems so apparently it was habit
and not addiction. The cost of cigarettes now would finance a house or a nice car. 48 years tobacco free and don't miss
it.
Cigarettes are a blot on the whole human race and a man is a monkey
with one in his face.Here's my definition,believe me dear brothers,a fire
on one end and a fool on the other. I think this was a verse from a country
music novelty song from the 1940's or 50's.

Bob Roller

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »
I smoked for 20 years and when we got engaged I laid them down and had no problems so apparently it was habit
and not addiction. The cost of cigarettes now would finance a house or a nice car. 48 years tobacco free and don't miss
it.

Bob Roller
I quit 2010 after using since the mid 60's. Cold turkey quit. It was easy quitting. I quit every night just before I got in bed. Staying quit is the hard part. It's been 7 years and I still crave the stuff. Even though I struggle with not smoking, I'm totally happy being a non-smoker and don't ever plan on giving in to the cravings.

n stephenson

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »
Mike, Best of luck on your recovery!!!    When you said " the doctor said I`ve worn myself out"   I know what you mean. The first couple hundred guns I built were all done "traditional, by hand"   and,   when I got out of bed it  took 30 minutes to straighten my arms out, Knots in my elbows you could feel. I now rough off everything I can with power tools . I know, I know , here come the naysayers but, there`s  a ton of difference in building a couple rifles  a year for a hobby and doing it everyday. Back in the days when they had no choice the people mostly died young compared to us now, I`d like to be able to feed myself , or tie my shoes when I`m 70 if I make it that far.   BEST LUCK MIKE!!!   If I can do ANYTHING for you please give me a shout , I`d be glad to do so.   Nate
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:21:55 PM by n stephenson »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »
it.

Bob Roller
I quit 2010 after using since the mid 60's. Cold turkey quit. It was easy quitting. I quit every night just before I got in bed. Staying quit is the hard part. It's been 7 years and I still crave the stuff. Even though I struggle with not smoking, I'm totally happy being a non-smoker and don't ever plan on giving in to the cravings.

Keb,
It's a journey,one day at a time.We had a friend who smoked like a locomotive and his heart
attack was due to his heavy smoking and he died of kidney failure on 16 April 2015.
Every passing day is one more day minus nicotine and all the other toxins in tobacco. That bit
of absurd poetry I posted may be more truth than humor.

Bob Roller

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 05:02:42 PM »
Mike,
Good luck on what you're getting ready for. Been there and done that, a couple of times. Listen to the Doc and only do it once. Saw a program on WOSU TV last night about your "craftsmanship", nice spread.
Mark
Mark

ghost

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Good luck Mike!

Offline dave gross

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »
Who will fill in as ALR curmugeon while Mr. Brooks is benched?

Dave Gross

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
Mike:  I suggest you go for the re-attachment of the bicep tendon.  My Dr. explained that he installed a 7 mm stud in the bone that has an eye to which, with super strong suture material he sewed the tendon down.  He said he made it extra tight, which I can attest has made it more difficult to get my full range of motion, but I'm getting there, as so will you.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
Who will fill in as ALR curmugeon while Mr. Brooks is benched?

Dave Gross
I can still type one handed. :P

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 08:05:34 PM »
Mike:  I suggest you go for the re-attachment of the bicep tendon.  My Dr. explained that he installed a 7 mm stud in the bone that has an eye to which, with super strong suture material he sewed the tendon down.  He said he made it extra tight, which I can attest has made it more difficult to get my full range of motion, but I'm getting there, as so will you.
I agree. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't want that tendon reattached. I asked what the consequences of leaving it dangle there. He stated I wouldn't be able to work above my head.... I thought that was part of the reason I was doing all of this. :o Anyway, he said he screws the tendon down in a new place. The one draw back is about 40% of the people that have had this done have pain where the screw is for about a year, the pain is controllable with Advil. I'll be taking my chances with the screw. ;)

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
Good luck, Mike. I'm sure you will have a fine recovery.       Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
This sounds much more serious than I thought.

Sorry for the earlier joke.

Best wishes for an excellent outcome and smooth recovery.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »
Best wishes, Mike, for a successful outcome and speedy recovery.
Jerry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
This sounds much more serious than I thought.

Sorry for the earlier joke.

Best wishes for an excellent outcome and smooth recovery.
No offense was taken. You might be a little late to get on my list anyway, I quit taking orders a couple months ago, I'll only be building guns about three more years and I think I'm booked out at least that far. I don't want to make promises for guns I'll never get to.