Author Topic: Mike's Operations  (Read 19578 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Mike's Operations
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
...gives new meaning to the phrase "pull yourself together!" eh?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 03:05:42 AM »
...gives new meaning to the phrase "pull yourself together!" eh?

Taylor made a funny... I'm laughing!  ;)
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
If you'd have tendons and such flopping around unattached how in the heck are you supposed to set the hook on those fish?!?!   ???

Good luck with it, get it straight before deer season.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Sending you all my best wishes and many prayers for a speedy recovery from your surgery.
Lee
tgrn

Offline RonC

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
Here is a wish for a successful surgery and rapid recovery!
I have had a biceps reattached many years ago after tearing it off in the gym. The results were very successful and I am happy about the decision to reattach.
The progress made in medicine and surgery in the apst 2 decades is amazing. I tore my quadriceps off my knee with the tendon completely ripped apart. 20 years ago, I would be relegated to a cane or crutches. Now, after the reattachment, I can walk a half mile and I am progressing every day. (lesson: don't try to act like you are 35 while in the gym, particularly when you are 70)

A bovine derived aortic valve keeps my blood flowing so I can go shooting with my muzzleloaders. A few decades ago, aortic stenosis as severe as I had doomed a person to 50% mortality in a year and 80% in 2 years. My valve could last 14 or 15 years.

Shoulder surgery has also come a long way. I have watched people recover from shoulder surgery when I go to physical therapy for my knee. PT has improved dramatically along with the surgery.
Ron
Ron

Smoketown

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »
Who will fill in as ALR curmugeon while Mr. Brooks is benched?

Dave Gross
I can still type one handed. :P

Yep,

He'll only have the use of "one middle finger" instead of two!!!    :o

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mike.   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
Best wishes on that upcoming surgery, Mike.  I had two major shoulder surgeries back in '97 or '98 about a year, or a little more, apart.  There was 6 months of "passive" therapy by my therapist, and a little later my wife helped me through it.  Each time I had to sleep in a recliner chair for a couple of months because it was much too painful to even try and lie down.  Biceps were torn loose, rotator cuff torn along with bone overgrowth.  I do hope yours isn't anywhere near that bad.  I was boxing a lot back then and my wife claimed that's what caused the damage.

You MUST do as the doctor says, believe me because I found out.  Always been a good patient, too.  Take care, good luck and a quick recovery my friend.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Buffaload

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »
Hey Mike,
Just heard about this, best wishes my friend and a speedy recovery!
Ed in Atlanta.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »
Best of luck,you will bounce back just fine and wonder why you didn't do it sooner as far as pain free range of motion goes.Pay attention to your body as far as the over do it after rehab,we ain't spring chickens anymore and our bodys don't heal up as quick as our brains think they can

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
Best wishes on that upcoming surgery, Mike.  I had two major shoulder surgeries back in '97 or '98 about a year, or a little more, apart.  There was 6 months of "passive" therapy by my therapist, and a little later my wife helped me through it.  Each time I had to sleep in a recliner chair for a couple of months because it was much too painful to even try and lie down.  Biceps were torn loose, rotator cuff torn along with bone overgrowth.  I do hope yours isn't anywhere near that bad.  I was boxing a lot back then and my wife claimed that's what caused the damage.

You MUST do as the doctor says, believe me because I found out.  Always been a good patient, too.  Take care, good luck and a quick recovery my friend.
I'm getting the left shoulder done June 15 and the right done around or about Nov. 15.  Doc asked if I could throw a ball overhand. I told him not since '79....He gave me the Spock eyebrow over that one... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »
Mike,
Best of luck on your surgery and take doctor and physical therapists directions to heart! Dodging lower back surgery myself and seem to be making progress by doing my physical therapist's core exercise routine. Take it easy and heal fast as we will miss your wisdom and humor on This forum. You are still younger than most of us and have lots of builds left in you. Just think on your next build and take the time out to cook up something special for yourself! Good luck and prayers are with you.
elkhorne

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
Mike,
Best of luck on your surgery and take doctor and physical therapists directions to heart! Dodging lower back surgery myself and seem to be making progress by doing my physical therapist's core exercise routine. Take it easy and heal fast as we will miss your wisdom and humor on This forum. You are still younger than most of us and have lots of builds left in you. Just think on your next build and take the time out to cook up something special for yourself! Good luck and prayers are with you.
elkhorne
Thanks. Things are moving at a rapid pace this week trying to get everything done before I become the one armed man. I made another gun in the past couple weeks and it looks pretty likely It will be ready to ship before I go under the knife. Only the 3rd gun for '17, I've been really slowed down. I have about 10 fence posts I have to dig in the grape arbor today and tomorrow as well. What really screwed up the whole process is the fact that my back decided to go out about 3 1/2 weeks ago, been nearly completely crippled when I needed to be really busy. It's just about fixed up right again.
 These Docs are making this a more serious deal than I figured it would be. The got something called an "ice machine" they're going to hook me up on when I get home. Some kind of cuff or sleeve that goes over my shoulder and pumps ice cold water around my shoulder. supposed to use that thing for an incredible 7 to 10 days! :o This is evidently due to the fact that they're actually going to cut the end of my collar bones off that are covered with arthritis. :o And, they say I'll be on some sort of super duper pain pills for anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks, so no driving. ??? None of this sounds very fun and I have to do the whole thing over on my other shoulder in November. Old age, it ain't for sissy's I guess. :P
 One good bit of news, Doc says I'll likely be back to work in 8 weeks instead of 12which makes me pretty happy. :)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
heavy duty pain pills=opiates,be careful with that $#@*.While many of us are just fine taking those things and when your done your done.I also know a few that didn't have the right mindset and let it take hold of them,one monkey you don't want anywheres near your back!Not trying to be your father,your a big boy,best of luck Mike,PS,posting under the influence isn't a crime yet,let us know how your doing ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »
I had the whole enchilada done on my right shoulder a year and a half ago. My only problem was caused by trying to push rehab, my bull headedness caused me great pain and a month or so of letting stuff "calm down" before I could resume rehab. I had my collar bone ground down as well.

I was on a passive motion machine for a month, 4 hours a day plus my normal rehab exercises, the whole routine took me 9 hours a day with a break between sets.

Anyway, it took 6 months for the pain to subside to tolerable levels, a year to start feeling normal and a year and a half to feel like I had a brand new shoulder.

I don't like narcotics so I toughed it out on Tylenol and Aleve, it was a rough ride.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 04:49:36 PM »
I had the whole enchilada done on my right shoulder a year and a half ago. My only problem was caused by trying to push rehab, my bull headedness caused me great pain and a month or so of letting stuff "calm down" before I could resume rehab. I had my collar bone ground down as well.

I was on a passive motion machine for a month, 4 hours a day plus my normal rehab exercises, the whole routine took me 9 hours a day with a break between sets.

Anyway, it took 6 months for the pain to subside to tolerable levels, a year to start feeling normal and a year and a half to feel like I had a brand new shoulder.

I don't like narcotics so I toughed it out on Tylenol and Aleve, it was a rough ride.
HA! Now that gives me confidence.......NOT! ???

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
Mike I had both shoulders operated on 10 yrs ago.  6 months apart for each one.
Worst I experienced was the therpy after the procedure.   It sure was worth the pain to be able get back to how it should be.  Best thing I ever had done.
iloco

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
I'm really glad I have a high tolerance for pain and it has served me well.  Not trying to dampen your spirits, Mike, but years after the surgeries I throw like a girl; no, not those girls, just girls in general.  :(
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 06:14:06 AM »
Mike I had my shoulder worked on and bicep tendon trimmed and moved down and reattached and the operation went really well. They had me on a machine at home right away moving my shoulder and it was not too painful at all. I highly recommend that because I think it kept the rehab shorter. Then I went to physical therapy for a few weeks and of course had a list of therapy to do at home. I did all of the work religiously-- I did not miss even one. It took about a half year to get back to about 80 percent and another half year to get to probably 98 percent. I actually kept up the PT regimen for another year and I think today I am pretty close to 100%. Probably not as strong as I was, but who is? My range of motion is 100%.

I had a very good rehab experience--- it was painful at times but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I think a knee is a lot harder to rehabilitate that the shoulder.

best to ya.

Ken
Galations 2:20

Offline Percy

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
Mike, hope all goes well with your surgery. Last year in May I had pretty much the same surgery and outcome as Ken. Do what the doc says and I'm sure you will do fine.

Percy

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »
  Mike one surgery is a piece of cake. It's the second, third, fourth an fifth that cause yeah trouble.
  Make sure you have a good P.T. Not some ding dong that says " No pain no gain ! " Don't ask how I know. Wish you the best in recovery!  Oldtravler

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2017, 12:47:46 AM »
Mark, we'll all be thinking about you tomorrow and wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2017, 02:29:06 AM »
Hey Mike,

Just saw this thread.
Good luck on the upcoming surgery.
Here's to a quick recovery.
Be patient and don't push things too soon.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »
Sorry, Mike . Smart phone thought I was talking to Mark.......Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline FALout

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
Mike, I had rotator cuff work done on my right shoulder 15 years ago, then about 6-7 years ago I started to have issues with that shoulder.  Doctor wanted to do that same thing to me, just snip it and let it hang.  Well, I wasn't too keen on that plus the doctor wasn't gonna do the work, one of his students would do it with him supervising. I ended up going to a sports doctor who wanted to try "another" cortisone shot before doing anything.  Well after getting the shot, I ended up ripping that tenon/muscle (heavy lifting at work) and my arm became useful again, basically saved the cost of having surgery. They told me that Brent Farve of Green Bay Packers had this type of surgery and was able to finish out his career.  There are a few things I can't do or struggle with, but on the whole it's fine.  Get it done, do the rehab and get back to building rifles.  Good luck.
Bob
Bob

Offline Telgan

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »
Waitin patiently for a report on Mike's surgery. I hope you are doing OK Mike