Author Topic: Mike's Operations  (Read 19470 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Mike's Operations
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »
Mike will probably not be feeling too social for a few days, and having the arm in a sling to immobilize it will mean one finger typing with the good arm for some time.
Mike:  just know that you are in our thoughts these days.  We all wish you a full recovery but know it will not be fast.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »
thanks all, still alive and healing up. i'll catch you all up in a day or two! :)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2017, 02:56:56 AM »
Good to hear from you Mike. Hope all is going well. Tim

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2017, 03:13:58 AM »
Great, just great. Take it easy.       Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
Good to hear that you are through the operation,
Dennis

thanks all, still alive and healing up. i'll catch you all up in a day or two! :)
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »
Glad you got thru the operation OK,hope all went well

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 11:44:33 PM »
Great to hear you are OK - Rest, Heal and mend....

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »
staying awake is the big challenge right now, blasted opiods..... ::) i sleep about 18 hrs a day.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
i sleep about 18 hrs a day.
Enjoy it while you can. I am lucky to be able to sleep 6 hrs usually 5 1/2 is about it.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:03:19 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »
Well, here's an update. I'm WAY  ahead with my physical therapy, gots lots of movement. Went to see the Doc yesterday, he was very impressed.... :P.untill he started asking me how I got myself so far ahead. THERE WILL BE NO MORE USING MY ARM FOR ANYTHING! VEBOTTEN! Anyway, I haven't screwed anything up, but I'm supposed to slow down and take it easy.,...I'm a little bored with taking it easy..... ::) Looks like no matter how well I do he's not going to let me go back to work untill the 15th of August...bummer. :P
 I got alot of junk to sell, maybe I better get on that for a while. Anybody need any junk? ;)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
Anybody need any junk? ;)
Silly question to most men, you know that one man's junk is another man's treasure :D

Glad you are doing well, just listen to the Dr then you can hold him responsible for any problems down the road, if you don't listen then the "warranty" is null and void :)
Dennis
ps did you get the photos I sent you?

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2017, 04:50:10 PM »
Like I said; I set myself back at least a month, endured a lot of pain and had to have cortisone shots to continue rehab after pushing it too hard.

Everyone I know who has had shoulder surgery has strained their shoulder at some point during rehab and were sure they were badly injured to the extent of having more surgery. I did, it was sure a sinking feeling to think you had to go back to square one. In all cases we got over our carelessness but had we listened to the Dr none of it would have happened in the first place. 

A funny  thing about having my collar bone ground off; I went into the bathroom to get a drink of water about 3am, I picked up the dixie cup full of water and aimed it at my mouth and hit the bottom of my chin, repeatedly. Reconfiguring my arm, shoulder, collarbone and some nerve damage made my aim off, it took me a week or so of retraining myself to hit my mouth with a cup in the dark. I didn't have a problem if I could see the cup and direct it.

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »
My shoulder situation was really depressing before I had that same surgery---I know what you are going thru Mike. Nw my shoulder is great and I am so grateful to the surgeon and the PT folk. They changed my quality of life for the better.

BUT I remember trying to drive too early--- it hurt like $#*! when I grabbed for the wheel suddenly and I was so scared that I had damaged it. They do say if it tears out they cannot fix it again, so be careful what you do-- follow their directions and it works--be patient.
K
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:26:24 PM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
  Mike glad you are doing well. Keep doing what your Doc says. Get well! Oldtravler

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
Mike, take it from one who knows too well about healing and shoulder surgeries in particular.  BE A GOOD PATIENT!  You'll be back to normal at least a year faster than I was....twice!  Best of luck and quick healing.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »
Glad to hear that you are progressing well. It gives me some some encouragement because I am facing a shoulder replacement surgery or possible two.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
I dredged this thread up for an update. How's that shoulder, Mike? I'm gonna be talking to a Dr. about my shoulder problems.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »
I dredged this thread up for an update. How's that shoulder, Mike? I'm gonna be talking to a Dr. about my shoulder problems.
I have full rotation with very little pain. It's still very weak. Going to do the other one oct/nov of '18. Not looking forward to it. I'd suggest physical therapy before you opt for surgery. Surgery is a last resort in my opinion. At no time before the operation did anyone say how painful and disabling the  procedure is. They said it would take 8-10 weeks for recovery, my last PT session was at 18 weeks out.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
Mike,
Glad to hear you have very little pain. Hopefully you will soon regain the strength.

I understand telling folks to do PT and not do surgery until you have to but I am not sure I agree about putting it off. I would agree if you are a young person but us older folks need to consider our age. If it's a condition that needs surgery its best to take care of it now rather than when we get older. The older we are the more we are affected by major surgery, much harder to bounce back.

The surgeon's that I have experience with have been good about telling me whether or not surgery is needed and if it needs to be done now or delayed. I know a couple of people that delayed needed surgery and in one case when he finally decided he had to get the surgery done the surgeon told him if had been able to operate on him a few years earlier he could have given him much better out come. The other perdon, a lady has been in pain for years and is being told she is too old to stand the surgery now!
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:57:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:47 AM »
All very true. That's all I heard about through the entire ordeal, "Well you are getting older". ::) Just so happened to turn 60 right when I had this done....coincidence? ???

Offline retired fella

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2018, 01:03:17 AM »
Sixty ain't old. you're just a pup.  But then again it's not the years it's the mileage.