Author Topic: Went to an Over The Log Shoot yesterday  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Don Adams

Went to an Over The Log Shoot yesterday
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »
Blue Jacket Muzzleloaders hosted a shoot this weekend - went yesterday.  This was my first time shooting an over the log shoot.  It was pretty fun. I used the .50 cal hawken that Oldarcher had for sale last fall.  I didn't too bad for my first time out.  It was first shooting at 60 yards.  I usually shoot 25 yards offhand and 50 yds offhand during our league shoot.  Shooting at a target and not hitting where you aiming at sure was different - but understandable.  You want that group and preserve the aiming point. 2_First_place" border="0 Spotter_target" border="0

The spotter - there were 4 shots practice then 10 shots -  first four shots one low not sure what happened then I had one in the black and two left.  I was aiming at the black point - the sun and silver sight - doesn't really work well on that white paper. I think maybe black paper and a green diamond might be better.

Offline okieboy

Re: Went to an Over The Log Shoot yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
 When I was first chunk shooting, I would make up multiple (10 and 15 at a time) spotters of different sizes, different colors and different backgrounds. Then I would post all of them at once on a target board at the range and look at them down my sights. Didn't even shoot just look with an unloaded rifle. It was amazing that many of the ones that I thought would be great when I made them on my bench, were terrible at the range. I eventually settled on a black spotter on an cream colored background.   
Okieboy

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
That can be a lot of fun, Don.  I've found one of the best 'blackener's for the front sight glare, as well as rear sight, is a dry-erase felt pen.  If you touch the sight as in when loading, just touch it with the felt pen and it's dull black again.  I find the permanent felt pens suck due to shiny finish, however the dry erase are dull.  The spray can of sight blackener like Birchwood Casey's is also good, but the felt pens much cheaper and quick to use.  As well, they take up little room in the possible's bag.

Dry Erase Pens for sight blackening.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
It might also help you to make your spotter as small as you can see it well. This way you will be aiming small and missing small.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks! 

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:27:56 AM »
get yourself a shader  .I like a long one to cover both sights . helps to make your picture the same for the entire match.A piece of copper flashing works well . 

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:43:20 AM »
I didn't look closely at the shaders - Are they spring steel? I seen a few with electrical tape around them - but most of them didn't.  I was wondering how they stayed on the barrel.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:27:13 AM »
Some shaders are formed to hug the barrel sides, many are held in place by tape or tugs. Some folks like full length, covering the length of the barrel and both sights and some like individual shaders over each sight. They can be made from copper tube, PVC pipe, bent sheet metal and even heavy cardboard tubes.
Mark
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:34:43 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
The instant version of a full length sight shader is a piece of foam water pipe insulation. It already has the needed split side, and it doesn't scratch the metal, or wood.

Hungry Horse

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »
Good to shoot with you Saturday!  Xenia shoots are always fun.  I try to get up there for both days whenever possible.

My shaders are 22g sheet steel from TSC.  Secured with black duct tape for now, though they were supposed to have had a clamp or screws.  Paint flat black inside and out.  Bend around a dowel same size or just slightly smaller than your barrels diameter.  Aluminum would work as well.  Anything will work, really, to keep light consistent.

If you keep the post in front, a black square spotter might work better.  Just black the post if you use a white background.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »
Thanks again everyone!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »
It might also help you to make your spotter as small as you can see it well. This way you will be aiming small and missing small.

THIS is more important than a lot of people think.  An aiming spot small enough you have to 'work' at getting the right sight picture, will usually deliver the smallest groups.  I found that 4" is perfect, for my eyes at 50 to 60 yards.

4" black centre on white, is also the best size and colour for me using aperture sights for shooting 100 meters.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
I use 4" for shooting 100 yards. Makes me hold harder!

100yd by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"