Author Topic: Who signed this barrel?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Who signed this barrel?
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:28 AM »
Anyone recognize these initials?

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
Re: Who signed this barrel?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
The rifle belonged to my 3rd Great Grandfather. It is a mixture of parts from older guns and it was used from the 1840 until the 1890. It was kept in the gallery of his house with a number of other rifles that were used by the household for hunting and hog-killing.  After the War Between the States it was given to his young grandson as his first rifle. It is walnut stocked, has a back-action lock, DSTs, brass buttplate and triggerguard. The buttplate came off a rifle that originally had a patchbox, as evidenced by "cuts" on the right side.  I can post photos if anyone is interested. The gun is in rough shape.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:14:09 PM »
 ;D ;D... Do post more pix... !!!  We're always interested in old guns.....especially those with southern provenance.....many useful guns were put together from parts of disabled ones... !!! ..... Regards, DGB ....

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:58:08 AM »
Look in the library at the signature of Stephen Laudenslager.  Looks like it might be him.  I have a perc. squirrel rifle signed H. L. (that is a later Laudenslager maybe related).

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:16:34 AM »
Thanks James! I am almost certain it is Samuel Laudenslager of Pennsylvania. I've attached a few photos showing the rear site, triggers, broken triggerguard and buttplate.

ssl image hosting

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 05:20:11 AM »
Comparison with another one of Samuel Laudenslager.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:22:58 AM »
Sequatchie,

The barrel signature sure looks like one of Sam Loudenslager's.  He was a prolific gun maker.  Most of his guns came out of his shop/farm near Mexico, PA in Juniata County.  He learned the trade in Union/Snyder County near New Berlin / Selinsgrove area.  He made single barrel & swivel-breech longrifles.  FYI... the wriggle engraving on the bow and extensions of the trigger-guard (as seen in the ALR Library photos of his other guns) are almost a signature feature.  I would definitely like to see more photos of your old gun.  Does your rifle retain the "Roman-nose" buttstock profile typical of guns from Central PA?  I would also be curious to know where your GGG Grandfather lived.  Sam Loudenslager's guns turn up all over the country.  One of his rifles is one display at The Henry Ford Museum in Michigan.  Thanks for posting the photos. 

Mark Loudenslager             

Offline Levy

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »
Don't know why I said Stephen when Samuel is what I looked at in the library.
James Levy
James Levy

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 06:24:13 AM »
Thanks James, you were dead on! I'll try to post a few photos of the rifle this weekend. It's not a bit attractive. The family moved from has been in Tennessee since the Revolution. My 4th great grandfather was a King's Mountain. He was born in 1759. His son was the first owner in our family. So it has been in Tennessee since around 1840. He died in 1869. I know it was in Marion County, Tennessee from the 1840's until a few years ago.