Author Topic: Bag Fixes (Help)  (Read 3847 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Bag Fixes (Help)
« on: June 05, 2017, 06:18:17 AM »
Well hi, all.

Went to the rendezvous today at Fort de Chartres in Illinois and got a bag and horn. I quite like them both, but each has a small problem.

The horn is attached to the bag strap, and when I adjusted the strap to fit my body, the horn now points up at a near 45 degree angle into my chest. It is not so comfortable, and rides too high. Seems I will need to detach the right side strap that connects the horn to the bag and move it down and reattach it so the horn is level and comfortable. A picture:

I am not sure how to do this or what tools I'll need, any help is most appreciated. I am willing to send it to someone if they can fix it.

Also the stopper on the powder horn is pretty loose. It is "bottomed out" and not very tight. I fear it might come loose, it's not as secure as the ones on my other horns, and I don't want it to become a safety hazard. I am pretty sure I will need to get a new stopper and fit it to the horn. I am having a time sourcing lone stoppers that don't come with a horn attached. Any leads gang?

Thanks so much all! I think when I get the horn leveled out and the stopper fixed it'll make a nice set for sure. Thanks in advance for the help!

Smokey

Offline Elnathan

Re: Bag Fixes (Help)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
Awl, a couple needles, and thread will be all you need for reattaching the strap.

Stoppers can be found here: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/81/1/HORN-STOP
You should be able to find these locally, though, at your friendly neighborhood music shop or luthier. Better yet, just make a simple plug yourself.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
Thank you, gang.

I think I am going to just detach the horn from the bag. As is, it's just not sitting right and I think I will prefer a separate horn.

What is a good way to remove the stitching to take off the horn straps without damaging the bag strap? Thanks!

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »
You can use an xacto blade to cut the stitching between the straps, and the tip of the blade to pull out the cut thread from the straps.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
I see, just slice between them? Makes sense. I think I'm going to get a good adjustable powder horn strap instead of the boot laces I use for my other horns, should make it ride just where I want it.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:09:51 AM »
Adjustable straps on a horn other than just retying or restitching the attachment would have been unusual.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:00 AM »
Oh? I don't do any impressions but the "theme" of my setup is mid to late 19th century. Were adjustable horn straps known then?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:23:44 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33:50 AM »
They "could have been" in any period. Just uncommon.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 04:15:24 AM »
I believe I could fix both problems for you without much trouble.  Would likely have to leave a few holes from the original stitching.  Adds a little character.
Let me know.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:03 AM »
I believe I could fix both problems for you without much trouble.  Would likely have to leave a few holes from the original stitching.  Adds a little character.
Let me know.

Jeff

I appreciate it, but tonight I removed the horn straps and it looks just fine. I also ordered an adjustable powder strap from Track of the Wolf and a replacement stopper I will work with.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
Try to avoid slicing the stitches in one pass, because that's the easiest way to tear the leather.   One stitch at a time with the point of a VERY sharp knife.  Take note of how the stitches look.

You might consider positioning the back horn strap first.  Gauge it with a spot of rubber cement ( which will come off) or a butterfly clip.

Put the rig on and then position the front the same way.  The butterfly clips will hold it in position so you can figure where to stitch.

When you stitch, try top make the stitches the same length as the originals.

Hope this helps

Capgun

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
Also the stopper on the powder horn is pretty loose. .....

Since you can't use the existing stopper as is, you might try soaking it in water for a bit.  Might swell up enough to work again.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Hey gang! :)

Got my new strap and stopper in:

I really like the strap and I can adjust it to the ideal ride and cant for the horn, unlike when it was attached to the bag. I really like it and think it looks good! It's jute which some are saying can break down over time, if that happens I'll replace it with a hemp one, but for right now it works. The violin peg stopper fits my horn very nicely, much more secure than the stopper that came with it.

All in all very pleased and glad I decided to detach the horn from the bag, I just don't think that carry method is for me.

Unfortunately there will be a delay on my custom rifle. Let's just say the maker is having... issues. Hopefully he can get everything straightened out soon, he is already many weeks past when he claimed he could have the rifle delivered, and has had a few problems along the way.

Here's to hoping this bag and horn can have a nice rifle to go with it soon!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:42:52 PM by Smokey Plainsman »