Author Topic: Longrifle and the Lone Ranger  (Read 2825 times)

Paul E. Wog

Longrifle and the Lone Ranger
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
My, how attitudes have changed!
While recently watching an episode of the Lone Ranger, I noticed a familiar looking rifle.
As the intrepid defender of the West picked up the rifle at the scene of the crime, he stated, " Look Tonto, an old fashioned squirrel gun. It looks like something a boy would use. "
The story continues with several scenes in which the rifle is used and abused.
At one point Granny attempts to dispatch the bad guy only to have a misfire.  She then bludgeons the miscreant with the rifle instead.
I finally found the rifle in David Hansen's book, " An Intimate Look at the American Longrifle and its Art and Evolution"; ppgs. 188-192. [ A. Wright & Co.; Pokeepsie, NY, c. 1850]
Sorry that the screen shots are not that great, but, the ones in Mr. Hansen's book are wonderful.

upload album

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Longrifle and the Lone Ranger
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
 :D :D...   Gotta be a Wylie Higgins... !!!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:18:39 PM »
       This is one of four known guns of similar design.  They are attributed to A. Wright & Co. of Poughkeepsie, NY.   Dave Hanson included the gun in his book as an example of the "last of the evolution of the longrifle."   It appears that the guns were made in a failed attempt to retail them Circa 1850.  From this point on so many "cookie cutter" rifles were made that it becomes hard to attribute or assign them to a particular maker or manufactory.   
        The gun illustrated shows a level of craftsmanship that was way above what one would expect in an attempt at mass producing firearms, and probably way more expensive than the average consumer of mass produced items would be willing to pay.
         A great find identifying this rifle and associating it with the Lone Ranger....

Ron   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
It may have inspired this one by Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. It's an interesting and fun story!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320