Author Topic: New plastic powder containers  (Read 6979 times)

Offline bob in the woods

New plastic powder containers
« on: June 09, 2017, 05:41:13 AM »
 :( :(     Here is something to keep in mind when storing your BP.   GOEX switched from their metal cans to plastic containers .

I had a rude surprise this morning when checking on my powder supply. Mice managed to get into my storage area and they ate

holes in two of my 1 lb containers .  Lucky I saved a bunch of the old metal ones.  I dumped the new stuff into them .

Who would have thought ?????   

Offline deepcreekdale

Re: New plastic powder containers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
Wow. That is strange for sure. Maybe we all need to keep a bunch of mouse traps around our powder containers. Just don't forget about them when you go reach for a new one though.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »
Tks for the heads-up, Bob.  I will check my locked-up powder and the outside storage as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

hardscrabble

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
I've dealt with mice damaging truck and ATV wiring a couple of times. Mechanic told me he was sure they chew wiring that smells like real food because somebody ate a BK Whopper or something and got food scent around the wires.  Maybe.  Anyway, one should probably avoid playing with your powder immediately after a round of pizza and ice cream.

Anyway, I took a bunch of old 35mm film canisters, drilled a few holes in them, put in a couple cotton balls which I soak in pure peppermint oil. These canisters are zip tied strategically around engine compartments, etc.  I have read repeatedly that you must use pure peppermint oil and not the cheap extract from a grocer. I buy it at Amazon.  I've been doing this for several years now and haven't had mice (other critters) evidence in any of the vehicles.

The little ########## can do more damage than a hail storm.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
I was told by a repairman that the reason mice chew on wires (especially braided wires) is that during the manufacturing process, peanut oil is used to coat the wire to prevent the insulation from penetrating between the stands of wire.  The mice can smell the peanut oil and therefore they chew on it.  Cna't figure on why they would chew on the plastic powder cans, but to be safe, I plan to transfer my powder to some of the saved metal cans I have.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
I have found that mice chew on stuff because they are mice. They eat the wax I use on screw threads, they eat the inletting black if I leave the lid off they chew on the cardoard cases that holds the powder cans, they eat paper targets, they eat leather scraps, $#*!, they eat mice caught in traps.
My cat can not be bothered.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
All my Goex and Jack's Battle Powder are in the cans that they were shipped in.  They, along with all my smokeless powder, reside in a couple of large coolers with snug tops.  The coolers are in my "no windows" gun room/workshop.  I keep traps set in the unfinished portion of our basement and get quite a few mice; even once caught a shrew.  I don't know what the shrew was doing inside unless it was hunting mice; shrews are our only venomous mammal and I like their fierce, killer attitude.  They kill animals many times their size.

Our only serious problem is that we seem to have, or did have, Norway rats.  Never came inside as far as I can tell but the holes outside remain open.  Our large, outdoor trash bin is plastic and those pests have chewed it so full of large holes that I'm not sure how much longer it can last.  The holes are all over; chew holes are even on the lid!  We had an exterminator come and set out baited live traps but caught nothing.  I've even gone as far as to occasionally pour various noxious liquids in the holes.  I think they may be gone (I hope) since I haven't seen any damage that looks new. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »
Their teeth always grow, and they have to chew to wear them down or the teeth will block their mouth.  That and they are always taste testing things to see if they are edible.
Brice Stultz

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:32:27 AM »
Mice chew. Mice also pee. A lot.

From old metallurgy book, J. Dudley Jevons, The Metallurgy of Deep Drawing and Pressing, ©1942
"It is well known that the atmosphere in the vicinity of stables and farm yards is a very dangerous one for stressed brass, and in olden times a car garaged in farm buildings often exhibited many season-cracked brass parts. It is not such common knowledge that the urine of rodents and of some other animals—for example, cats—quickly produces season-cracking, and that many tons of cold-drawn brass have been ruined annually owing to the unwelcome attention of mice and rats in old warehouses. . .” 

Got brass stuff in your shop?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
My girlfriend's cat is the absolute champion of mice hunting. She won't eat or sleep and she just holds there hour after hour if there is a mouse around. You want to learn how to hunt just sit and watch her.

She can also be rented for a small fee of one hundred dollars per hour if any one is interested. Talent like that doesn't come cheap.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
I like the plastic powder containers. The caps never seemed to seal right on the metal cans. Also, in the event of a fire; the metal cans will explode due to the pressure the powder can generate when it flashes off. The plastic cans will melt and the powder will burn off without exploding. No more dangerous than a plastic can of gasoline.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 05:18:22 AM »
Those old style tin powder cans don't really hold much pressure, so not much a explosive risk as far as the container is concerned.
I think that the plastic container is simply cheaper, not necessarily safer.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
The plastic "cans" fit neatly into a surplus ammo can is what I have found. 

Terriers catch mice too, but they knock a lot of stuff down (if you stack your stuff up) and may do more damage chewing to get to the critter than the critter might do in the first place. 

Hold to the Wind

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
Those old style tin powder cans don't really hold much pressure, so not much a explosive risk as far as the container is concerned.
I think that the plastic container is simply cheaper, not necessarily safer.

I've heard they built the cans that way on purpose so it would be less of a bomb.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »
The plastic cans are cheaper to make - pure & simple. I don't mind either but I saved my old metal cans and refill them from the plastic ones. I also store my black powder in my shed in a large wood box with hasp away from the house. I've not had a rodent problem as of yet -- lucky I guess ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
How can black powder manufacturers package in plastic?  Don't they know that static will explode the powder??  I'm playing devil's advocate here...I know static cannot ignite black powder.  I load the Holy Black in all my reloading hoppers - without incident.
In Canada, to store BP indoors, it must be in a wooden box with brass hinges and hasp, hinges and pad lock, and have two inch high letters painted in red that read, "EXPLOSIVES'.  These rules were made before powder was shipped in plastic.  Just shows the redundancy of the rule makers.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »
Just for your info if needed. The screw on spouts you can buy for the metal Goex cans also fits the plastic Swiss bottles.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 07:57:44 PM »
There is a club in this state that would not allow anything plastic near the firing line. The safety officer was convinced that plastic causes static electricity that would cause black powder to explode at any moment. Even a plastic spout to pour the powder down the bore was verboten due to the imminent risk of widespread destruction and mayhem. If it was a pre-1830's event I fully understand but really? I bet when they switched over to the plastic containers he had a stroke.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »
I'd make him prove it with just one example.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
There is a club in this state that would not allow anything plastic near the firing line. The safety officer was convinced that plastic causes static electricity that would cause black powder to explode at any moment. Even a plastic spout to pour the powder down the bore was verboten due to the imminent risk of widespread destruction and mayhem. If it was a pre-1830's event I fully understand but really? I bet when they switched over to the plastic containers he had a stroke.

I know the club well.  They refuse to let facts ruin a good story.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Daryl

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:53:06 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
I just got to thinking. CVA made an inline with electric ignition. How did that work? It even used the fake powders which have a higher ignition temp.

Offline moleeyes36

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer