Author Topic: Groove Depth Measure 7-Groove  (Read 3260 times)

hardscrabble

Groove Depth Measure 7-Groove
« on: June 09, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
I have an Ed Rayl barrel I’m trying to understand better.  It is a .47 caliber 7-groove (round bottomed grooves) barrel and I can’t figure a method to accurately measure the depth of the grooves.  Internet searches come up with “slug the barrel, wrap shim material around the slug and do the “πR²” math to get groove to groove diameter”, which makes perfect sense, assuming one has the ability to slug a muzzleloader, perfectly wrap the shim and accurately measure the resulting circumference…not me, thank you very much.  Is there a better way?

Several measurements taken with a caliper from the (best effort) center of the land to the bottom of the opposite groove (remember this is a 7-groove barrel…it is not possible to get an accurate land-to-land or groove-to-groove measure with calipers directly) results in .470 often enough to lead me to believe that is an accurate measure.  I would expect that measure (since the land-to-land bore measure should be .470 in a “true” .47 cal barrel) to result in something more like .482, assuming a .012 groove depth. 

Am I missing something here?  See below for the load I've settled on, which would add up to .496 (cast balls pretty consistently measure .460 + ticking (.018 x2 = .036) = .496) compared to assumed groove depth of .470 + groove depth  (.012 x2 = .024) = .494. This provides a very modest.002 compression.  The loading feels a little tighter than that, so it wouldn't be a great surprise if the bore actually does measure less than a true .470, or perhaps the grooves are more shallow than my assumed .012.

Also, I may have totally fouled up the way I'm going about these calculations.

This is all academic, although I’m curious how much compression I’m getting on my patch material.  I can’t shoot one hole groups at any distance (I’m getting senior), I’ve already arrived at a patch/powder/ball combo I like and I’m not one to spend days and days trying out infinite combinations anyway.  But I’m curious.

If you’re interested, here’s what I settled on: TOW ticking, reportedly .018, pre-lubed with melted mink oil and squeezed out, because I’m a hunter, not a target shooter; 60 gr FFFG; .460 ball, mainly because I found a used .460 round ball mould that casts pretty balls that release easily from the mould.  This combo loads easily, recoil is pleasant for a rifle this light (7lbs on the nose), fired patches show no signs of stress, it’s more accurate than I am and should pack enough energy for Tennessee whitetails in the woods. Last but not least I don’t want to push too hard on a really, really skinny swamped pipe (.8 across the flats at the muzzle).  All the shots feel about the same going down after the first one, without wiping and clean up about the same using greased patches vs moose milk.

I tried a thicker denim patch (won’t try to supply a measure because I couldn’t get the same result twice trying to squeeze calipers around a ball patched with the stuff…it was pretty thick).  It grouped about the same as the ticking (diminishing returns with 60+ year old eyeballs), it was harder to load (it would have stressed that skinny stick if I’d tried it…I used a stainless range rod instead) and my wife found it at JoAnn’s.  Who knows if I could have laid my mitts on any more of it.  I also tried loads up to 75 gr of FFFG, but didn’t like how the rifle started to buck.  I'll tolerate some kick if there's a good reason for it, but I don't invite it for fun.

Thanks for any comments or ideas about groove depth.  It’s a new rifle (an Ian Pratt rendition of a J/E Bull brothers E. Tennessee rifle) and I’d like to document all the niceties before I move on to something else. 

The requisite picture.  The target (at 25 yds) shows two three-shot groups, a 60 gr load more or less at point of aim at 6 o’clock, and a 50 gr load just below that, and a 30gr squib load just off paper at the very bottom of the pic because Daryl said that would make cleaning a little easier (not so’s I could tell, though).  I’ve got to bump that front sight one more time.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Groove Depth Measure 7-Groove
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 06:23:14 AM »
 :) :)...nice looking group.....NOW,....That is one fine rifle..... post more pix,... (maybe in the contemporary collectors heading)....!!!

hardscrabble

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:28:30 AM »
I would happily do that but for the fact I am the world's worst gun photographer and folks would laugh hysterically.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »
 If you wanted to know the bore diameter to an accuracy of .001", then you could check the bore with pin gages. A set .251-.500" by .001" increment would cost $216.00 from MSC. However since you know about what the bore measures, you could buy a few individual gages for $3.24.
 Measuring the depth of the groove could be done by making a lead cast around a piece dowel ( to remove the cast), and then viewing the edge of the cast (a section would be best) with a handheld magnifying loupe with measuring scale, about $90.00-100.00. The scale will have a linear measure with .005" increments, but a careful eye can split the increments.
 This is how it could be done with reasonable accuracy, but is probably beyond the commitment of most hobbyists.   
 One can fuss with a caliper trying to measure this, but the accuracy will be poor at best.
 The next post after this one will probably be from someone that can measure groove depth with a caliper to an accuracy of plus or minus .00000001". ;)

Okieboy

hardscrabble

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
One can fuss with a caliper trying to measure this, but the accuracy will be poor at best.
 The next post after this one will probably be from someone that can measure groove depth with a caliper to an accuracy of plus or minus .00000001". ;)

That sounds reasonable. A couple days ago I took a soft piece of casting lead shaped like a cork and tapped it into the muzzle (rifle toe supported on my foot to provide cushion) with a hammer until I had an impression. That was a bad idea for a number of reasons and didn't yield measurable results.  It held potential, but the barrel would have to come out of the stock.

Pouring a slug onto a dowel is an idea worth chewing on.  Pin gauge would do it, but I'm not that $$ curious. I agree calipers are of a class with hand grenades and atomic weapons, absolutely lacking in grace and precision.  I can eyeball it and see the depth is more than .008 and common sense tells me it's probably less than .015. That's pretty close to my caliper tolerances.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
I use expanding small hole gauges and a micrometer to find the bore diameter after it was reamed.
Then I use a dial caliper to get the depth of one groove and then double that reading.
This is about the only way I know to find the true bore and groove dimensions in a barrel with
3-5-7 or 9 grooves.

Bob Roller

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
 This sounds like you are overthinking this whole sport. The vast majority of shooters out there would be over the moon with a rifle, and a target like that, and wouldn't care a wit how deep the rifling is. Remember this is a field sport, not a science project. It all about doing well, and having fun. Chill out, and enjoy shooting tight groups like that before like many of us, your eyes go, and you start getting the shakes. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
You could slug the bore, first drop a section of smaller dia. rod down the bore, then drive an oversized, like a 50 down the bore with a mallet then upend the rifle and the rod will drive the slug out. I use a section of brass rod about 3/8 in. dia. and 12 in. long. I also oil the bore first. You should only have to drive the slug down to muzzle depth.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:39:57 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:48:15 PM »
With only 6 shots or even 10, there is very little fouling built up in the different height of a 60 gr. charge and a 30 gr. charge in that bore size.
Where the shooting of a squib load makes a big difference, is if you have fired 50 shots with 80gr. of powder, then shoot a 15 to 30gr. charge.  Pushing that tightly WET patched ball down to the breech through the buildup of fouling, will clean that section of breech area, which is of considerable length, that being the difference between 80gr. and 20 gr. or so.
Sry if that was not clear.
In my .69, .58's, squirrel rifle or .40 and .45, shooting the squib after being finished for the day's shooting did make for less fouling in the breech when cleaning.

Preliminary target is good - now, to move back and increase the charge.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
That rifle is very nice and shows much promise with that target.  I do agree that it's not worth the worry and aggravation to find the bore dimensions to three digits.  If it shoots well and is accurate I really can't see what else is needed.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

hardscrabble

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »
I agree.  No simple method and not much reason to mess with it anyway. Thanks.

Smoketown

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
Would Ed Rayl or someone in his shop be able to give you that information??

Cheers,
Smoketown

hardscrabble

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
Would Ed Rayl or someone in his shop be able to give you that information??

Cheers,
Smoketown

I met the man, I'm sure he would. That really should have been my first thought. Als, I think one of the folks on here originally ordered the barrel.  I'll ask him if mr. Rayo can't help. Thanks!