Author Topic: Antique Knife Finish?  (Read 3009 times)

Nick Bachtel

Antique Knife Finish?
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
I was wondering what everyone does to get that beautiful antique finish on their knife blades. I usually forge as close as possible and hone the edge to sharpness and leave all the forge marks in it. Thinking like Ian Pratt and the House knives finishes.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Offline B.Barker

Re: Antique Knife Finish?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
Lots of ways to get an antique finish, Hershel cooks his blades in bleach water. Ian hardly ever uses the same technique twice. You can also use cold blueing and dip the blade in bleach to get the rusty look. Then you can use browning solution and a sweat box and if you bury the blade for several days in dirt with plenty of moister it will give a different rusty look also. You will have knock the rust back with all the different methods and the first two mentioned you need good ventilation and I don't like using either one myself, bleach fumes bad for health. There are other ways also, you just need to use your imagination. Even dish soap will rust plain steel.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 04:21:10 PM by B.Barker »

Nick Bachtel

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:34:37 PM »
I have used mustard, vinegar and dirt with no real result. I also left the blade in bleach for a couple hours but there were only flecks of rust. nothing like I have seen.

Nick

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »
Throw it in the chicken house for a week or so.  ;D   

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:50:29 AM »
Nick put a couple coats of browning on a blade and put it in wet dirt. If your in a dry location you need a sweat box. The bleach will work really fast if you put cold bluing on first. Don't polish the blade beyond 220 grit and I usually stop at 150 grit.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
The bleach process just looks wrong to my eyes.  Same with using it for barrels etc.  Try sticking the blade down into a moist compost pile for a couple of days. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
The bleach process just looks wrong to my eyes.  Same with using it for barrels etc...

I'm not saying it [sodium hypochlorite (bleach)] couldn't be incorporated into a process of oxidations to build a believable "degraded" finish, but as Bob notes, I've seen bleached metal that looked like bleached metal from across the room. 

Sweat box is something I have to make as humidity is nearly everything when seeking corrosion.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:05:18 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind