Author Topic: Curly Maple Kibler with some "Extras"  (Read 20175 times)

n stephenson

Re: Curly Maple Kibler with some "Extras"
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 02:44:44 AM »
I`ve seen a couple of old SMR`s with pewter inlays . Just a thought. I did one a few years ago.    Nate

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 12:45:54 AM »
Please excuse my barbaric behavior. "Masterpiece"  is like brushing my fur backwards. I have never seen anybody's work that they themselves call a masterpiece that actually rates "Masterpiece" level. On the other hand I have seen all kinds of work that rises to the level but the maker would never consider himself a "master". All a bunch of smoke to cover large egos....my opinion of course. :P
 Kingsbury is doing great work with Kibler's guns, they are a great place to practice skills. I like all the additions, just not the star in this particular case...although i like stars in that location on early PA guns. Again, please excuse my rude behavior.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 12:52:05 AM »
Somebody got to him or the shoulder is having a good day ;D

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 01:09:17 AM »
Mike! - Thanks - I checked my ego at the door about 35 years ago at basic training - and never picked it back up. You are hardly barbaric, and despite what you think, we all love your input - in my case, it keeps me grounded. Other opinions may vary  ;D Joe, remember, he is still on medication..  ::)

I made a new star - and it's better - but I'm open to other suggestions - I have more silver sheet.... Maybe a moon?

David Price sent me a few images of stars that help with the overall look - Thank you David...again, I am far from being anything close to a master - I'm a rookie, on a journey, but I respond to "friend"....

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »
First thing to remember is that it is your build and no matter what anybody else thinks it is still your build. If all rifles would have been built exactly the same they would become boring real quick. Now with that said I do like to stay somewhat close to traditional styling and would have to agree that you more moon than star inlays on SMR's but that does not mean you can't use a star. So have fun whatever you decide to use and strive to do your best quality because in the end it is your work that is going to be viewed and judged by others.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 03:02:34 AM »
Talk to me Thursday afternoon when I'm actually on meds....you'll be able to talk me into anything then. ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 03:14:17 AM »
"Masterpiece"  is like brushing my fur backwards. I have never seen anybody's work that they themselves call a masterpiece that actually rates "Masterpiece" level. On the other hand I have seen all kinds of work that rises to the level but the maker would never consider himself a "master".

I couldn't agree more Mike.  Great talent and humility are an appealing combination.  There are certainly some of those on these boards.  Great conceit?  I'll pass thank you!

I hope your surgery went as well as can be expected Mike.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:00 AM »
Sorry Mike - with the wood turned out nice and curly - no star, or Moon, just a nice curl - My friend wanted a lighter color stock - and so it shall be.. all feedback most welcome :) This is Iron Nitrate and one coat of Honey Maple Laurel mountain stain mixed at 50% with reducer, sprayed with water for a quick look and approval from William. Final coats will be satin oil - pardon the gloss - just sprayed water. It will go back to flat soon ... if the rains stop here in New England  ::)

Jon

thimble rig

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 03:36:24 AM »
That turned out looking pretty good.Youre getting pretty good with those kits from Jim.Iloved doing mine.Cant wait for his new one coming out.Have you thought about doing one with it converted over to percussion?That would be different.I don't know how much work it would take to do it.Thanks for posting keep up the good work.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 03:52:48 AM »
  Just my two cents. A master is someone who constantly strives to do better.
  That is Jon in spades..!!!
 When that young man gets that rifle from his Grandfather. Try telling him it's not " His " Masterpiece.
 Also if I was going to have a custom gun made. Kingsbury would be high on my list. Whether he has made one gun or a thousand.
  Jon takes pride in everything he does...!  Oldtravler

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 05:16:14 AM »
That turned out looking pretty good.Youre getting pretty good with those kits from Jim.Iloved doing mine.Cant wait for his new one coming out.Have you thought about doing one with it converted over to percussion?That would be different.I don't know how much work it would take to do it.Thanks for posting keep up the good work.

Thank you sir - Jim has started an wonderful revolution in kit design, and I have been honored to build a few... Never thought of creating a Cap Lock version... but that would be most interesting. I also can not wait for his next "un-veiling" as I am sure it will be extraordinary.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 05:21:34 AM »
  Just my two cents. A master is someone who constantly strives to do better.
  That is Jon in spades..!!!
 When that young man gets that rifle from his Grandfather. Try telling him it's not " His " Masterpiece.
 Also if I was going to have a custom gun made. Kingsbury would be high on my list. Whether he has made one gun or a thousand.
  Jon takes pride in everything he does...!  Oldtravler

I would be honored to create something for you - I have a few projects in the wings (a Officers Walnut Fusel 20 gauge with silver wire inlay, and an set of .50 cal dueling pistols.) and for the traditionalist, I have a few cut blanks for a special project this winter.... a Contemporary imagination of a historical design... oldtravler.. I am humbled... Thank you..

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
Here's how you do it when you get to where you're building guns for other folks. You have them tell you what they want then you build them what they need. ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
  Glad you stated that. Because that is EXACTLY what happened to me.
  The gun was not what I ordered, was not the gauge I wanted
etc.
 Needless to say I did not purchase the gun!  But then that's me.
  Other's may choose to  do differently.  Oldtravler

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »
This gun is what I asked for and is exactly how I wanted it finished.  I am anxious to get it in my hands.
 Jon has went out of his way to help me get a rifle I wanted but no place or knowledge to build one from a Kit as the kibler rifle.  I am well satisfied with what I see of the rifle.  I would highly rate Jon as a person to work with.  Not many people around as him these days.

iloco

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 07:12:36 PM »
Here's how you do it when you get to where you're building guns for other folks. You have them tell you what they want then you build them what they need. ;)

That's a fact.  I build non rifle items for people who Tell me what they want and then I build what I think would be best for them OR what I dang well please.  No money up front and if you like it, buy it.  If you don't, somebody else will like it.
Mike Lee

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 08:16:20 PM »
Mike,
Sounds as though you've adopted the philosophy that Bill Large lived by.
Mark
Mark

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
Mike,
Sounds as though you've adopted the philosophy that Bill Large lived by.
Mark
I found that this way I don't get stuck with something so stupid looking I can't sell it.
 Quite honestly, figure out what style of gun you want, find a builder that is very good with that style and tell him you like what he does and let him have at it. You'll get the best gun the builder is capable of that way.
 My best guns are all done that way. Send me a barrel , lock, and a piece of wood (with our mutual agreement on very broad specs), Tell me roughly how much decoration you want and a dollar range you want to spend, drop and pull, then step out of the way and let me build the gun. Exact specifics of every detail takes the creativity out of the build for me.....rather go put a nut on a bolt down at the john deere factory all day.
 Oh, and by all means RESEARCH your builder. If he doesn't build the style of gun you like, find somebody who does. If you choose a builder because he's the cheapest out there you'll get the cheap gun you're after.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
I never tire of looking at beautiful wood such as these stocks.  I'm a little envious reading about other's builds, having yet to acquire my own Kibler kit.

Mike's a curmudgeon for sure; and that makes him a great guy.  I never fail to get a nice rise out of him whenever I find a button to push or start picking at him.  Teasing folks unmercifully is a weakness of mine and that makes me incorrigible, I'm afraid. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »
Nice sunny day here in New England... and I got out of work a little early, so I thought I would provide some progress pictures.
10 coats of hand rubbed oil, brought back to a dull eggshell finish, and I "grayed" the barrel with cold blue solution. All of the other metal is finished, now assembly!!!

Colors look pretty good together.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:00 PM »
Jim sure did right by you with that curly maple, beautiful, and you've done a nice finish. How did the patchbox and star go?

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »
Hi Dave! - The patch box came out great - (I will post some pictures when I assemble it all together) and I did not do the star, or a moon, when I saw the curl of the Maple, It just didn't look right to add more to it.

And you are right, Jim is a Rock Star when it comes to being helpful and generous. I have seen a few post lately on new builders and first kit options, (and being a new guy myself) These kits are a fantastic way to get involved with this sport/hobby.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2017, 12:35:52 AM »
That turned out great.  Awesome piece of maple.
iloco

Offline ScottH

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »
Kings,
 Could you share your process on dulling the shine on the oil finish?
I recently tried rubbing a stock with parrafin oil and pumice stone powder, it worked ok.
Thanks

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2017, 01:27:46 AM »
Sure Scott - I use Minwax Antique Oil.  - I finished the stock with Iron Nitrate (Jim's solution) heated the stock and then did a Baking Soda wash. (Some people don't do that , I do for two reasons, to slow or stop the Iron Nitrate and to whisker the stock after the Nitrate. And then sanded and scraped until the balance of colors were what I wanted. I put on latex gloves and just by hand, no rag or towel, rub in the first coat of oil, pushing it in the wood grain, it gets sticky and dull quickly for the first coat, but cover everything. I use an old toothbrush to get the excess oil out of the small areas so it will not pool or go on thick (and shine) in the cracks and crevices.

24-48 hours drying time.

Do that same process again, the new coat will "melt" the coat underneath, and if you continue to rub it in, it will become dull, but a little more shiny.

24-48 hours drying time

Do this as may times as you see fit to get a semi-gloss finish. I also finish inside the lock area, under the barrel area and trigger (even use q-tips to ensure all wood is saturated) as the water used to clean the gun can get into the wood, so I like to seal everything.

Now, take a WHITE scotch bright pad (final finish version) and dull down the entire piece. it will have "scratches in it". Watch out for the high areas and the corners, you can sand right through the finish to wood (and beyond).

When you have this dull but scratchy finish, use one more light coat of oil with your hands (Again, I wear disposable medical gloves) and rub it in with some force. It will melt that dull finish, while filling in the scratches and making what you see posted. an eggshell finish with no grain showing at all.