Author Topic: Black powder  (Read 5908 times)

Ray Pennington

Black powder
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
What type powder or pyrodex & how much should I use in my .54 cal cap lock Bill Large rifle, 1:60 twist, heavy rifling, 37 1/2" long, 1" barrel.  I'm almost complete with my Hawkin build. ......

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Black powder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
You can look through earler post and get an idea or you could also get the Lyman cast bullet handbook and use it as a guide or go on the Lyman website and look at their manual for their recommended powder charges. These would be as good as what people here would give you as their recommended loads. Just a thought.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Ray Pennington

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:16:53 PM »
Thank you for the information!!
Much appreciated!!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
I would start out with 70 gn of FFG with a good thick beargreased patch an work my way up. keep records an then once you get the group your happy with then adjust the sights accordingly
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Ray Pennington

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
Good deal Wattlebuster!!!! Thank you!!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »
Don't ruin your barrel, use real black powder and stay away from Pyrodex.  There are a lot of threads about that here on the forum.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 10:47:18 PM »
 What is your goal? Targets or hunting?

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
The energizer - the stuff that provides oxygen for the BANG - in pyrodex is potassium perchlorate.

History/High School Chemistry is that a mix of potassium chlorate, sulfur and charcoal makes stuff that goes BANG when you hit it. Used in old corrosive primers.

The key word is corrosive.

Potassium perchlorate is like potassium chlorate only much more so, in terms of BANG

If you live in Arizona probably no problem. Anywhere with some amount of humidity and it will be difficult to keep your rifle from rusting. Stainless may not form red rust, but it will pit

Real black gunpowder makes a fine propellant.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
What type powder or pyrodex & how much should I use in my .54 cal cap lock Bill Large rifle, 1:60 twist, heavy rifling, 37 1/2" long, 1" barrel.  I'm almost complete with my Hawkin build. ......

REAL black powder only.That  Bill Large barrel with the solid bolster breech is now
a very rare item.

Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 12:52:59 AM »
When working up a load for a new rifle I like to use one(1) grain of powder plus about 10% as a starting point. So for a 54 I would start with about 60 grains of 2f and work my way up in 5 grain increments. I don't think I have ever had a round ball twist gun in 50 or above cal. that shot as good with the lower powder charges as it did with say 100 gr. charges. My 52 target light bench gun likes 150 gr. of 1&1/2 swiss but your mileage may vary in a lighter weight hunting style gun.

Smoketown

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
If you live in Arizona probably no problem.

Pyrodex even wrecks guns in Arizona - Lived there for 30 years, saw the damage.

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
Pyrodex = crapola.

Use what the gun was designed to use. Real black.

Steve-In

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
I have two .54's both with Montana barrels.  For range work I use a .535 ball, .022 denim patching over any where from 60 to 90 grains of 2f Goex.  Hunting I use 115 grains of 2f Goex, same patching and ball for the load in the barrel, .530's in the loading block.
Barrels are .540 bores with about .015 deep grooves, 1 flint, the other cap.
I never drank the Pyrodex, T7, whatever Koolaide.
Hope this helps. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
I run 85 grains FF (prime with FF too) behind a 530 wrapped in heavy denim, but your mileage WILL vary.  For best performance you'll work through several amounts of powder, once you find a good ball/patch fit.   A good ball patch fit will fix most of what ails new shooters.  And then there's lubes and cleaning totally non-polarizing discussions::) ;) ;D :P   Snug is key.

Don't mess with Pyrodex.  It's only slightly less corrosive than pouring acid down the bore.  I ruined two bbls, long before this internet-and the word got out how horrible the stuff is. The residue eats steel for lunch if not cleaned out immediately and thoroughly every single use-throw some dampness and "life happens" into the mix and you've got an etched bore, why risk it?

I'd never risk another bbl to it.  Mail-order the black if you cannot source it locally or if you want the best selection.  There are many blacks and plenty of providers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:08:09 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

jrubin

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:45 AM »
Ive heard that Pyrodex is good for your lawn if you haven't fertilized in a while.  I didnt even bother finishing my remaining stock when I switched to black powder and never looked back.

However that said!!!!!   If you had the experience of both side by side in the same gun, in Florida, in the summer.   Yeah, you will see that black powder will come out on top.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
Pyrodex is good for blowing out stumps.

Ray Pennington

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
2f blackpowder it is!!!    Thanks

Ray Pennington

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
What is your goal? Targets or hunting?

I'll use this rifle strictly for deer hunting here in Southern Ohio.