Author Topic: Lollipop tangs  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Ray Settanta

Lollipop tangs
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
My interest in American longrifles was recently reawakened by my discovery of a box of nickel furniture that I purchased over 30 years ago from Don Eads shop and a LeHigh County precarved stock. Then I became infatuated with Southern mountain rifles when I ran across Jim Kibler's kit. I was about to purchase the kit but I was sidetracked. What I would like some information on is the lollipop tang. Since I am not very knowledgeable about Southern mountain rifles, I had never heard of it. Was this tang common? Was it used only in certain areas? What time frame was it used? I was not able to find out much information from the internet. Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Lollipop tangs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
 ;D ;D.... others can most likely provide more info..... but I've only seen these barrel tangs in the upper East Tennessee and Henderson County North Carolina areas...(and in some N. Georgia guns made by NC gunsmiths who moved there..)..... is common in some old E. TN. guns to see a narrow extension of the "lollipop" to go up and over the comb of the buttstock....usually about  2", but sometimes to the heel of the buttplate.. !!!! .....Obtain Dave Byrd's two excellent books on these rifles..(lot of photos)....Rumor is a color "coffee-table" book is in the works, dedicated to antique Tennessee Longrifles ..!!!!!

upload my photos

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
I think the kit you are referring to is copied from one of my Whitson rifles. Lollipop tangs end in a circle for the rear screw, they do not go up on the comb. That is a different animal. Most of the nice mountain guns with a lollipop tang were southwestern NC, mostly Whitson and the Gillespies.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
I don't know if it's copied from a traditional longrifle but I have A Netting rifle with a lolipop tang that extends from the screw loop up and over the comb to the butt plate. Quite a job to get a one right.
Mark
Mark

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »
That's not a lollipop tang. A lollipop tang ends in a circle at the last screw, just in front of the comb. It is shaped like a lollipop, hence the name.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
 ;) ;)... Hlbly... what is a good name for the type that goes up & over the comb of buttstock...??? ... I've been familiar with this type over 45 years, and that's all I've ever heard them called....maybe just splitting technical phrases here, but I'm OK with calling either style, "Lollopop" ....!!!.... makes it easier in terminology as opposed to "straight" or "spearpoint" ....to be TC ..(technically correct)... perhaps "lollipop with extension over  comb" ... ???

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »
A lollipop tang ends in a circle at the last screw, just in front of the comb. It is shaped like a lollipop, hence the name.

Hlbly is correct in his description of a lollipop tang and you will see them on many later Gillespie rifles. I also have seen several Gillespie's that used a slightly modified version of the standard lollipop tang. Here is a photo of one that is on one of Harvey Gillespie's rifles.

As a side note, I have also heard the lollipop tangs referred to as doll's head tangs.
I saw one with a more pronounced valentine shape instead of the normal round circle but I do not have a photo of that one.

online print screen
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:28:57 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »
Here's some pictures of one attributed to Ambrose Lawing, with a dolls head or lollipop tang, and extension up over the comb a couple inches.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8921.0

John
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:00:05 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
Thanks for all the information and that Ambrose Lawing rifle is just beautiful!

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
 ;D ;D... Thanx, JTR..... In my opinion. rifles by any of the Lawing family of gunsmiths are the finest examples of upper East Tennessee mountain LongRifles .... !!!

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:34:20 PM »
Beautiful southern rifle in every respect.  Don't guess he went to the ALR gunsmithing school his barrel extends way to far beyond is nosecap according to some on here.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:51:09 PM »
Beautiful southern rifle in every respect.  Don't guess he went to the ALR gunsmithing school his barrel extends way to far beyond is nosecap according to some on here.
That nose cap was the first thing that caught my eye.  I guess each individual maker had their own style.
iloco

n stephenson

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »
Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion. Being from Tennessee , I have a great love for these rifles and always like to get some "learnin" on the subject from those who know. Thanks    Nate

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
 :) ;D... I'm a big fan of Tennessee rifles and their unique features too...got to keep this going by posting a couple more pix.....a Lawing and a contemporary ( Ian Pratt  ) .....both could be considered  "not"  lollipop tangs.... !!!!